User talk:Phoebe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Board: In July 2010 I was selected for a two-year term on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees through the chapters seat selection process. My term ended in July 2012. I was reelected in 2013 for another two-year term.

I am happy to answer questions anytime. Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, please assume that any edits or statements I make here (or on any other projects) I am making as a community member and not in any official capacity whatsoever.

But if you are looking for me, leave a message here, or feel free to email me

you can also find me at: meta * other wikis * irc:brassratgirl

The tinfoil protects me from *government* conspiracies. You need more than a hat to protect against rogue Wikimedians! Thomas Dalton

Talk page archives:

  • 2003-2004 -- in which I am welcomed to Wikipedia and asked to work on marine bio articles
  • to the end of 2005 -- in which I return as a lapsed Wikipedian after a year+ of absence, and get invited to some meetups
  • 2006 (a busy year) -- in which I organize Wikimania II: the Prodigal Son of Wikimania; and do some other stuff
  • 2007 (a busier year) -- in which I go to Wikimania:Taiwan, and lots of other in-person events
  • 2008 (an amazing year) -- in which I work on San Francisco-area meetups, the Signpost, and a few contentious articles; and publish a book, "How Wikipedia Works"
  • 2009 (an active year) -- in which I work on the Signpost quite a bit, give some talks, and recover from writing HWW
  • 2010 (unprecedented) -- in which I muck around with the 'post, run WikiSym, and get elected to the board
  • 2011 (a distracted year) -- in which I edit very little but do a lot of outreach. And worry about the board
  • 2012 (a year abides) -- in which SF meetups come into their own, we bring down Wikipedia for SOPA, and I finish up my board term
  • 2013 (a year of deja vu?) -- in which I edit a lot, do outreach, get involved in some wikiprojects and and am reelected by the community to the board after a year break

Contents

WikiProject University of California[edit]

Phoebe: I think that the campus-specific task forces are a great way to go. I am thinking the GLAM projects, which are about the libraries qua libraries as opposed to the libraries as sub-units of the campus, are still useful. Articles about the campuses and campus issues would get tagged as being in the scope of the task forces, whereas articles related to collection content from the libraries would get tagged as part of the GLAM projects. Does that make sense to you? Stevenmg (talk) 02:21, 7 December 2013 (UTC)

p.s. I am on a business trip so will try to respond to any messages when I get a chance at the end of each day. Stevenmg (talk) 02:21, 7 December 2013 (UTC)

Wikipedia session at Biophysical Society meeting[edit]

Hi Phoebe, I am planning to do the next one, and since you've been there before, I would especially appreciate your edits or comments here. Thanks, -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 23:36, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

You're invited: Art & Feminism Edit-a-thon[edit]

Art & Feminism Edit-a-Thon - You are invited!
Csaky madonna.jpg
Hi Phoebe! The first Art and Feminism Edit-a-thon will be held on Saturday, February 1, 2014 in San Francisco.

Any editors interested in the intersection of feminism and art are welcome. Wikipedians of all experience levels are invited! Experienced editors will be on hand to help new editors.
Bring a friend and a laptop! Come one, come all! Learn more here!

SarahStierch (talk) 09:07, 21 December 2013 (UTC)

Should en.Wikipedia medical articles have a prominent disclaimer?[edit]

As a WMF board member, you should be aware of this discussion. I'd appreciate an acknowledgment that you have seen this notice. --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 05:48, 30 December 2013 (UTC)

@Anthonyhcole: Interesting. I don't have strong opinions on the matter but will also refer it to our legal team to make them aware. Thanks for the heads up! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 20:03, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
Thanks. --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 22:02, 1 January 2014 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for January 2[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Dough, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Batter (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:05, 2 January 2014 (UTC)

New England Wikipedia Day @ MIT: Saturday Jan 18[edit]

NE Meetup #4: January 18 at MIT Building 5
Wikimedia New England logo.svg

Dear Fellow Wikimedian,

You have been invited to the New England Wikimedians 2014 kick-off party and Wikipedia Day Celebration at Building Five on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus on Saturday, January 18th, from 3-5 PM. Afterwards, we will be holding an informal dinner at a local restaurant. If you are curious to join us, please do so, as we are always looking for people to come and give their opinion! Finally, be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

I hope to see you there! Kevin Rutherford (talk)

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.)


Response to Mass Surveillance[edit]

I just want to point you to the on-going about whether WP should participate in the upcoming action along with EFF and Reddit: User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#The_Day_We_Fight_Back. Obviously, your opinion on these matters carries a lot of weight. --HectorMoffet (talk) 07:34, 14 January 2014 (UTC)

Welcome to The Wikipedia Adventure![edit]

TWA guide left bottom.png
Hi ! We're so happy you wanted to play to learn, as a friendly and fun way to get into our community and mission. I think these links might be helpful to you as you get started.

-- 01:52, Friday, September 4, 2015 (UTC)

Get Help
About The Wikipedia Adventure | Hang out in the Interstellar Lounge


notifications test[edit]

Hey Stu, if I mention you somewhere you should see the notification for it. But your username has to be a wikilink. phoebe / (talk to me) 19:38, 31 January 2014 (UTC)

That's cool, user:phoebe! thought it sure is clunky to have to make the user name a wikilnk. Just typing @phoebe, even without a fancy JS drop down, would be handy. :) Stu (talk) 19:42, 31 January 2014 (UTC)

FYI[edit]

A proposal has been made to create a Live Feed to enhance the processing of Articles for Creation and Drafts. See Wikipedia:WikiProject Articles for creation/RfC to create a 'Special:NewDraftsFeed' system. Your comments are welcome. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 23:32, 4 February 2014 (UTC)

Speedy deletion nomination of ASM International[edit]

A tag has been placed on ASM International requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under section G6 of the criteria for speedy deletion, because it is an orphaned disambiguation page which either

  • disambiguates two or fewer extant Wikipedia pages and whose title ends in "(disambiguation)" (i.e., there is a primary topic); or
  • disambiguates no (zero) extant Wikipedia pages, regardless of its title.

Under the criteria for speedy deletion, such pages may be deleted at any time. Please see the disambiguation page guidelines for more information.

If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Click here to contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be removed without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. Si Trew (talk) 12:19, 16 February 2014 (UTC)

The automated message doesn't quite explain my reason for deletion. It went G6 and was so speedy that I hardly had chance to catch my breath. There were two disambiguation pages, at ASM International and ASM International (disambiguation), both of which disambiguated to two articles ASM International (society) and ASM International (company). (It was the first I was looking for.) Since these are actually already at the DAB at ASM, it seemed pointless to have the other two DABs that were not really DABbing anything more. Si Trew (talk) 04:31, 17 February 2014 (UTC)
@SimonTrew: thanks for the further information, that makes more sense :) I remember creating one of these ages ago but didn't remember the details. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:47, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
I know how you feel. It is a bit scary when I look up something I want to refer to on a talk page and find "a comment I made here in 2009"... which seems like yesterday. Wikipedia can be a bit of a chronophage. Si Trew (talk) 04:25, 19 February 2014 (UTC)

You're invited: Women's History Edit-a-thons in Massachusetts this March[edit]

Women's History Edit-a-thons in Massachusetts this March - You are invited!
We Can Edit.jpg
New England Wikimedians is excited to announce a series of Wikipedia edit-a-thons that will be taking place at colleges and universities throughout Massachusetts as part of Wikiwomen's History Month from March 1 - March 31. We encourage you to join in an edit-a-thon near you, or to participate remotely if you are unable to attend in person (for the full list of articles, click here). Events are currently planned for the cities/towns of Boston, Northampton, South Hadley, and Cambridge. Further information on dates and locations can be found on our user group page.
Questions? Contact Girona7 (talk)

Sandbox page about ready to go[edit]

Phoebe - I have a roughly complete sandbox page for Isabel Montanez, but some of the references are repeated, there are likely some tags it needs (like name variations?), and it could use an edit by someone else for clarity. Besides that, I think it's ready to go. It looks like I move it to en.wikipedia.org/Isabel_P._Montañez to publish it, right? I'll wait until after the Edit-a-thon in case someone there can read/fix it, or maybe you could move it if it looks okay? It was fun to write! Dysumner (talk) 18:56, 4 March 2014 (UTC)

@Dysumner: fantastic! I will take a look at it & do a little ref formatting, then it should be good to go. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 19:11, 4 March 2014 (UTC)

Thanks! This is a nice photo of Isabel: http://www.cooldavis.org/wp-content/uploads/Isabel-Montanez.jpeg Is it reasonable to add? And I didn't see how. Dysumner (talk) 20:33, 4 March 2014 (UTC)

@Dysumner: Hi! I went ahead and moved the article to Isabel P. Montañez, so it is published. For the picture, we are picky about only having freely licensed pictures uploaded to Wikipedia. So if she has a picture that she is willing to release the rights to, or if you or someone else takes a picture of her that you're willing to license CC-BY-SA, that would be great. You would then upload the picture to Wikimedia Commons, and from there we can link it into the Wikipedia article. If you can come up with a picture that is appropriately licensed, I can help :) But we can't just take a picture from the web with no attribution and no indication of licensing. cheers, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 22:58, 5 March 2014 (UTC)
@Phoebe: Thanks! Dysumner (talk) 04:24, 8 March 2014 (UTC)

hello![edit]

i am at the wikipedia women and science edit-a-thon. Narkissos (talk) 21:23, 4 March 2014 (UTC)

@Narkissos: awesome :) -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:48, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Submitted bio & now photo is fixed[edit]

Hi Phoebe, thanks for the teahouse invitation. Based on your recommendation during the edit-a-thon in the fall at the Berkeley Meetup to provide more of a narrative to my accepted submission on Neuromodulation (Medicine), I looked for information about one of the pivotal contributors to the field's development and only found a Wikipedia entry about him on the Wikipedia site in his native country, France. So I worked on creating an entry for him on the English Wikipedia site. I think I have now solved a temporary snafu about adding a photo of him from Wikimedia. Since my Sandbox submission from last week appears to have been flagged as missing a file (the initial photo link), I wondered if you could take a look, and if everything looks okay, unflag that? My goal was to be able to link back to the bio from the already published entry about the field in general. It seemed simpler to have a separate bio online as background. It's at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Negarc/sandbox. Thanks. Negarc (talk) 17:05, 10 March 2014 (UTC)

@Negarc: great! Glad you kept working on it. I will take a look when I can; I've been a bit swamped lately (anyone watching this, feel free to step in with a review too.) Looks like good work at first glance though! best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:47, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Thanks Phoebe, I appreciate it! Negarc (talk) 16:03, 14 March 2014 (UTC)

PDF edit request[edit]

Came across your excellent and brief article evaluation guide! A great handout - but wanted to fix a sentence on page two - "...or may reflect too much detail about one the controversial aspect of its subject ..." Shyamal (talk) 12:19, 12 March 2014 (UTC)

@Shyamal: thanks for the sharp eyes! I'll edit it & upload a new version. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:43, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

You're invited! WikiWomen's Edit-a-thon at the University of California, Berkeley[edit]

Saturday, April 5 - WikiWomen's Edit-a-thon at the University of California, Berkeley - You are invited!
We Can Edit.jpg
The University of California, Berkeley's Berkeley Center for New Media is hosting our first edit-a-thon, facilitated by WikiWoman Sarah Stierch, on April 5! This event, focused on engaging women to contribute to Wikipedia, will feature a brief Wikipedia policy and tips overview, followed by a fast-paced energetic edit-a-thon. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Please bring your laptop and be prepared to edit about women and women's history!

The event is April 5, from 1-5 PM, at the Berkeley Center for New Media Commons at Moffitt Library.

You must RSVP here - see you there! SarahStierch (talk) 22:17, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for March 24[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Alice Middleton Boring, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Bryn Mawr (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 08:55, 24 March 2014 (UTC)

Other librarians[edit]

Hi Phoebe. I started some librarian biographies yesterday for Women's History Month and thought they might interest you: Milagros del Corral, Edith Ditmas, Gunilla Herdenberg, and Kristiina Kolehmainen. --Rosiestep (talk) 15:09, 28 March 2014 (UTC)

@Rosiestep: cool :) -- phoebe / (talk to me) 21:15, 1 April 2014 (UTC)

You're invited![edit]

NE Meetup #5: April 19th at Clover Food Lab in Kendall Square
Wikimedia New England logo.svg

Dear Fellow Wikimedian,

New England Wikimedians would like to invite you to the April 2014 meeting, which will be a small-scale meetup of all interested Wikimedians from the New England area. We will socialize, review regional events from the beginning of the year, look ahead to regional events of 2014, and discuss other things of interest to the group. Be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please consider signing up for our mailing list and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

We hope to see you there!

Kevin Rutherford (talk) and Maia Weinstock (talk)

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.)

honoring Adrianne Wadewitz?[edit]

Hi Phoebe,

This is perhaps a bit random, but given that I was introduced to the Teahouse efforts and other new user mentoring efforts by Adrianne, I figured turning to mentors to help remember her makes sense. I don't know if you've heard that Adrianne recently passed away after a traumatic head injury sustained in a rock climbing fall. The academic communities in which Adrianne participated are reeling and looking for ways to help celebrate her life. I worked with her training other academics to edit Wikipedia and one idea that people are interested in is an edit-a-thon in her honor. Ideally we'd like to make this a joint effort between Adrianne's two intellectual homes - Wikipedia and academic institutions. I've contacted Sarah Stritch as well, but I thought I'd be in touch with you given how much of advocate Adrianne was for developing relationships with experienced Wikipedians who mentor.

If you'd like to help or be kept in the loop as we develop plans, please do let me know. If you can help me connect further with the Wikipedia/Wikimedia community about events in honor of Adrianne, that would be wonderful. You can email me at jacque.wernimont@gmail.com.

Many thanks, Jacqueline DCavendish (talk) — Preceding undated comment added 15:24, 10 April 2014 (UTC)

I support this idea for an edit-a-thon in her honor and also suggest that another goal could be to improve our coverage of notable women climbers and climbing safety. Many of my early Wikipedia articles were about climbing and mountaineering, and I would be willing to help. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 15:31, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
Jacqueline, and user:cullen328, I think there will be a variety of activities to celebrate Adrianne; there have been several people with similar ideas. I believe that User:SarahStierch is working on some edit-a-thons later in the spring. I will keep you both posted as I hear about events. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:55, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
Hi everyone - I am in the process of developing an event organizing page (similar to the WikiWomen's History Month page) I just haven't had time this week due to my professional calendar. I'll be getting something up this weekend! SarahStierch (talk) 23:58, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
Wonderful, thanks Sarah :) Also, I expect many of us will be thinking about remembering Adrianne with our work for a long time to come. We might start a page just for edits and contributions related to subjects she cared about that people make with her memory in mind. best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 00:03, 18 April 2014 (UTC)

WP:BLP and human dignity[edit]

Hi. I'm proposing we include something about taking account of human dignity in WP:BLP (here). I'd appreciate it if you could keep an eye on any ensuing discussion in case we misunderstand something about the Foundation's intention in its BLP resolution, and in case you'd like to contribute to any aspect of the discussion. --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 05:44, 11 April 2014 (UTC)

@Anthonycole: thanks for letting me know. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:46, 17 April 2014 (UTC)

Josephson Effect Merge[edit]

Hey Phoebe, add my two cents of support to the Talk:Josephson_effect merge. ^_^ It would really help us over in Graphene-article land and maybe even start to stem the tide of drive-by tagging that happens every so often to the article. Please do the merge when you have the chance and enough support. (Kind of wish there was a session at upcoming Conference about the problem of drive-by tagging. Its really taken its toll on the quality of the graphene article. Reckless drive-by tagging has become the sole reason we cannot apply for a good article nomination or implement the suggests made from graphene's good article nominee 2011 review) --Physics16 (talk) 01:13, 16 April 2014 (UTC)

@Physics16: thanks for the followup on this long-delayed case :) I don't think I have enough subject knowledge to do the merge myself, but maybe we can list it on the physics wikiproject and see if anyone is interested :) -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:45, 17 April 2014 (UTC)

Teach for Library Juice Academy?[edit]

Hi Phoebe,

Would you be interested in teaching a four-week workshop on Wikipedia editing for librarians, through Library Juice Academy? Here is our website, where you can see our course listings: http://libraryjuiceacademy.com/ . Please get back to me at rory@libraryjuiceacademy.com if you're interested. Thanks... Rlitwin (talk) 17:43, 17 April 2014 (UTC)

@Rlitwin: thanks for getting in touch! I may be interested if we can make the timing work. I will email you! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:31, 17 April 2014 (UTC)

Maker booth 2014?[edit]

Hi Phoebe: I was interested in this last year, but couldn't make it. This year, I don't see any signs of organization. Does the booth live on? Thanks! Barte (talk) 02:47, 25 April 2014 (UTC)

Barte -- I'm so sorry I didn't see your message in time! I got behind on talk page and Wikipedia stuff. I hope that you got in touch with Stephen, who was running the booth. Sadly I wasn't able to make it this year. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:26, 2 June 2014 (UTC)
Alas no. Oh well. (I did go to the faire as a civilian, but didn't see the booth. But then, there was a lot to see.) Barte (talk) 23:40, 2 June 2014 (UTC)

Edit-a-thon invite[edit]

April 2014[edit]

Hello, I'm BracketBot. I have automatically detected that your edit to North Beach, San Francisco may have broken the syntax by modifying 1 "{}"s. If you have, don't worry: just edit the page again to fix it. If I misunderstood what happened, or if you have any questions, you can leave a message on my operator's talk page.

List of unpaired brackets remaining on the page:
  • {{wikivoyage|San Francisco/Chinatown-North Beach}

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, BracketBot (talk) 05:23, 28 April 2014 (UTC)

Source verification[edit]

Hey Phoebe—I saw your offer to do source verification at WP:REREQ. Do you have Lexis Nexis and ProQuest access? If so, can you please take a look at my request when you have a chance? czar  04:14, 1 May 2014 (UTC)

Adrianne Wadewitz Memorial edit-a-thons[edit]

Adrianne Wadewitz edit-a-thons in Southern New England
Wikimania 2012 portrait 102 by ragesoss, 2012-07-13.JPG

As you may have already heard, the Wikipedia community lost an invaluable member of the community last month. Adrianne Wadewitz was a feminist scholar of 18th-Century British literature, and a prolific editor of the site. As part of a worldwide series of tributes, New England Wikimedians, in conjunction with local institutions of higher learning, have created three edit-a-thons that will be occurring in May and June. The events are as follows:

We hope that you will be able to join us, whether you are an experienced editor or are using Wikipedia for the first time.

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.

Survey for editors who mentor newcomer[edit]

Dear Wikipedia Ambassador,

I am seeking input on your experience as a mentor to new Wikipedians. This survey is designed to provide insight for the development of a new mentorship support tool on Wikipedia. If you have a moment, please take this survey, it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time to complete.

https://syracuseuniversity.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4V2SSrhU2NFOVAV

Also, if you are able to, I would greatly appreciate it if you would send the following survey to the mentee you worked with:

https://syracuseuniversity.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4V1quUdMZ1By3Ah

Thank you in advance for your participation, Gabriel Mugar 13:33, 25 May 2014 (UTC)

New England Wikimedians summer events![edit]

Upcoming events hosted by New England Wikimedians!

After many months of doubt, nature has finally warmed up and summer is almost here! The New England Wikimedians user group have planned some upcoming events. This includes some unique and interesting events to those who are interested:

Although we also aren't hosting this year's Wikimania, we would like to let you know that Wikimania this year will be occurring in London in August:

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.

New England Wikimedians summer events![edit]

Upcoming events hosted by New England Wikimedians!

After many months of doubt, nature has finally warmed up and summer is almost here! The New England Wikimedians user group have planned some upcoming events. This includes some unique and interesting events to those who are interested:

Although we also aren't hosting this year's Wikimania, we would like to let you know that Wikimania this year will be occurring in London in August:

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Phoebe. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

Trying again! Jimfbleak - talk to me? 15:46, 7 June 2014 (UTC)

OK, I've done that. I'm reluctant, as an active admin, to post my email directly, which obviously complicates matters a bit Jimfbleak - talk to me? 06:11, 8 June 2014 (UTC)

Mail[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Phoebe. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

Library interns[edit]

Hey Phoebe: remember the resource page I talked to you about at WikiConference USA, here are the new resource pages: WP:TWL/I and its associated course page? We are trying to develop a resource that makes it really easy for libraries and academic interns to begin editing Wikipedia. Also, if you know anyone who would be running such an internship as a pilot, that would be awesome as well, Sadads (talk) 18:40, 12 June 2014 (UTC)

Wikimania[edit]

Hi Phoebe, You might find this proposal interesting. LeadSongDog come howl! 02:16, 14 June 2014 (UTC)

Wikivoyage tags[edit]

Please don't put Wikivoyage tags above Commons tags. Whether you want to think of it as being alphabetical, by seniority, or by importance, Commons should come first. Thanks. BMK (talk) 22:24, 17 June 2014 (UTC)

Ping from WP:RX[edit]

Hi Phoebe. You had mentioned at WP:RX that you had access to an NCSE report I had requested. Just wanted to ping you to get an idea of whether you'd be able to send that over next week, next month, etc. No rush at all.

Thanks again,

Lesser Cartographies (talk) 22:27, 17 June 2014 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library: New Account Coordinators Needed[edit]

Hi Books & Bytes recipients: The Wikipedia Library has been expanding rapidly and we need some help! We currently have 10 signups for free account access open and several more in the works... In order to help with those signups, distribute access codes, and manage accounts we'll need 2-3 more Account Coordinators.

It takes about an hour to get up and running and then only takes a couple hours per week, flexible depending upon your schedule and routine. If you're interested in helping out, please drop a note in the next week at my talk page or shoot me an email at: jorlowitz@gmail.com. Thanks and cheers, Jake Ocaasi via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:41, 20 June 2014 (UTC)

Notice[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Phoebe. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

Viriditas (talk)

Hi, Phoebe. Did you ever get the emails I sent you? If not, please check your spam/trash folders, as it sounds like I'm being filtered. Thanks. Viriditas (talk) 23:50, 23 July 2014 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 7[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 7, June-July 2014
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs)

  • Seven new donations, two expanded partnerships
  • TWL's Final Report up, read the summary
  • Adventures in Las Vegas, WikiConference USA, and updates from TWL coordinators
  • Spotlight: Blog post on BNA's impact on one editor's research

Read the full newsletter

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:21, 31 July 2014 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for August 12[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Zone 9 bloggers, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Global Voices. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:23, 12 August 2014 (UTC)

WMF superblocks it's community[edit]

Hi,

since Erik doesn't answer, I'm now sending this remark to some other WMF officers and board members. I apologize for using your time.

I'm a crat in german wp. The so-called super-protections that Erik Möller/User:Eloquence and User:JEissfeldt (WMF) have put on our common.js on sunday, acting officially on behalf of WMF, have left some blood on the carpet. Many fellow wikipedians are upset, even those who accept the media viewer (which had been the conflict's origin). Several long-time contributors have left or stopped editing due to this. Journalists picked up the case.

Personally, I strongly protest against the WMF's action, and it's failure to communicate afterwards. Our communities are capable, and willing, to handle problems like this without office-actions.

There have been no official or private comments from WMF in the last days, so I'd like to suggest you have a look and give some response to the criticism.

(apologize again, for my translation errors)

Rfc: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Requests_for_comment/Superprotect_rights

Links to ongoing discussions in german language: [1], [2], [3]

Greetings, -MBq (talk) 20:16, 12 August 2014 (UTC)

Hi, i second MBq's request and also e.g. this post by Rich. This issue is not taken lightly especially among german wikipedians. Regards, Ca$e (talk) 20:54, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
(talk page stalker) I also second MBq's request and Richard Farmbrough's post. Something drastic needs to be done. Chris Troutman (talk) 21:46, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
Hello MBq, Ca$e, Chris troutman,
Thank you for your messages. Yes, I am aware of the discussion. The board was informed by Erik of the actions taken, and additionally I have been reading the mailing lists (wikimedia-l and wikitech-l); I also read the Kurier discussion (via Google translate, which is not perfect, but I can't read much German so it will have to do).
There are two issues -- whether to adopt the mediaviewer and the superprotection level. I understand that although whether to adopt the mediaviewer was the first controversy, the superprotection level is the bigger source of criticism and unhappiness on a philosophical level. I have two perspectives on the issue, first as a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation, which is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure and software of 800+ wikis with a combined active editor base of 80,000 and a readership of half a billion; and second, as a long-time editor myself of multiple projects.
From both perspectives, I understand and support the decision our team has taken. Let me try to explain why. I do not think it is sustainable across so many wikis for the engineering team -- which is responsible for a remarkably complicated piece of software with many, many dependencies -- to not have an option to lock part of the interface. This does not mean that there is no room left for local innovation, for weighing in on software changes (or working on them if you're a developer) or that local writers and editors and admins are not valued. It means that there are some changes that we want and need to be available to all wikis, and that there are some kinds of changes that can accidentally be quite harmful to the code and the projects.
Beta features is a good example of a change we want to be available to everyone. If I read the Kurier discussion properly, some people are saying they didn't get a chance to test Media Viewer because a link to Beta features was locally disabled by an admin a while back, so they didn't know it existed. If that's so, that decision had consequences for every local editor, who might not have realized they could test out and weigh in on various new software features. I hope that I read the page wrong, or that Google translate was wrong, because I really don't like the idea that German editors didn't get a chance to see and experiment with many new features and that the WMF did not get German community feedback as a result. I would hope of course that this kind of issue would be sorted out locally, and indeed it usually is. But across so many projects, there will always be some cases where that's not possible. For the accidental use case, imagine a wiki with just a couple of admins where a script is accidentally placing a heavy server load or breaking other things. Usually of course that kind of issue can be fixed without contention, but sometimes there are arguments, and then our engineering staff should be able to step in. (And since the majority of admins and editors, myself included, don't have the technical skill to modify the javascript this is certainly not taking away control from all editors as some have been portraying it).
As for my perspective as an editor: when I started editing in 2003, Wikipedia looked similar to this. (Perhaps you remember it too). I loved Wikipedia at the time, and I still love it, but I am glad it no longer looks like that. Similarly, in 2023, I don't want Wikipedia to look like what it did in 2013. But that doesn't mean our mission of creating and sharing free knowledge changes; I hope it means actually that it will get easier and smoother for all editors to write articles and add photos, videos and sounds, and to discuss that process and how to present our sites to the world.
best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 13:24, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
Thank you for your response. You misunderstand my point and perhaps the larger issue. I don't care about implementation of the MediaViewer as I already use it. I have no opinion as to the superprotect issue, either. I object Eloquence/Erik's issuance of royal decrees. If he isn't punished for his behavior I intend to leave this project as soon as my time as a Wikipedia Visiting Scholar is over. Chris Troutman (talk) 16:33, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
@Chris troutman: It is Erik's job, as CTO and deputy director, to make this kind of decision; he is asked to do so by the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees. They are not "royal decrees"; they are decisions, made with lots of other people, that he has the ultimate responsibility for (and as such also takes the heat for). I am sorry you find this so unsettling that it makes you want to leave the project. BTW, I hope that your visiting scholar position goes well; I am colleagues and friends with the people at the UCR library who set it up, and talked to them several months ago about Wikipedia projects, so I am interested in how the project goes. I hope that you're able to get access to some of their great archival resources. If I can help generally with access to databases/catalogs, let me know, as we have most of the same resources up here at UC Davis. cheers, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 16:40, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
Dear phoebe, on several issues concerned, please see my and other posts at User_talk:LilaTretikov. Regarding your last reply: No, it is not at all Erik's "job" to overrule a local binding consensus, to (mis)use developers in a totally unprecedented case to establish a new user hierarchy, to equip a user group (WMF staff) without any mandidate by the relevant community with new overruling technical "rights", and to (mis)use those "rights" to intervene against a binding consensus of said community. Instead, all of this is a grave violation of conventions regarding the relationship between WMF and the contributors and content providers on wikipedias and wikicommons. Thus, i strongly advise you to reconsider your perception of the matter at stake. In this respect, you should find the norms and viewpoints highlighted at aforementioned talk page helpful. Chris troutman is far from being the only one finding such behavior absolutely "unsettling", and with good (and elsewhere already thoroughly explained) reasons. Ca$e (talk) 18:48, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
Just to be clear, what we are talking about is a software change: adding an additional protection level in the mediawiki namespace. The mediawiki software, as developed and maintained by the WMF, is under Erik's responsibility. That is why I say it is in his job description, and ultimately under the ED and Board's responsibility. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 22:56, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
No, we are not at all only talking about a mere "software change". We are talking about a) a software change which in a totally unprecedented way created a new user hierarchy, b) which has already been misused, to c) override a local consensus, plus d) explicit threats against elected representatives as well as e) arrogant and inacceptable communication procedures on the part of WMF employees. All of this goes against core principles governing the relationship between WMF and the grounding communities WMF had formerly been a part of. As you yourself say, all of this was "under the ... Board's responsibility". You being a board member, it was and continues to be also under your responsibility. We expect you, as well as every other Board member, to step in and try and resolve the issue. Maybe, with proper amends, not all might be lost. However, several users, not only Chris, have regrettably already taken steps to no longer be a part of a thus broken former "community". You can hardly possibly make good on the total of already produced damage anytime soon, should you not immediately and visibly work towards reversing WMF's handling of this matter. Ca$e (talk) 10:28, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
@Phoebe: Yes, I'm enjoying this post with UCR. I've received excellent help from Eric Milenkiewicz at the Special Collections department in Rivera library. It's very exciting to get hold of these hard-to-find print materials and I'm pleased to get continued online access to academic resources, especially as my access through my alma mater ends. My year-long appointment will also likely result in the biggest content creation phase of my short Wikipedia career. I will be writing a final summary report in May 2015 for UCR and I'll approach The Signpost about publishing it as well. There are also plans to have an edit-a-thon at UCR and possibly open the door to WEF participation so I can act as a campus ambassador there following my Fall semester 2014 class with USC.
So for all those reasons you can understand why I and so many others want to continue with Wikipedia. If Eloquence's actions (threatening to unilaterally desysop an admin) are representative of the WMF's wishes, then it confirms that the editor-WMF relationship really is broken and I won't consent to contributing content for free in that environment past May 2015. I am only willing to recognize the authority of elected Wikipedians (admins, bureaucrats, and ARBCOM) and if that's not possible going forward then so be it. Chris Troutman (talk) 23:05, 13 August 2014 (UTC)

Resource request.[edit]

Hi

I wonder if you can help and locate the resource for the quote "all Jews are Zionists and enemies of the state". Following this discussion [4]. I have found that according to this [5] the source should be "New York World Telegram November 26 and 29 1956" maybe you can help me get a scanned version of this newspapers?--Shrike (talk)/WP:RX 06:45, 13 August 2014 (UTC)

@Shrike: After a quick look I don't think I have access; I'll dig around a bit more when I have time and see if I can find you a source for it. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 19:16, 14 August 2014 (UTC)

August 2014[edit]

Hello, I'm BracketBot. I have automatically detected that your edit to The Jolly Pinder of Wakefield may have broken the syntax by modifying 1 "[]"s. If you have, don't worry: just edit the page again to fix it. If I misunderstood what happened, or if you have any questions, you can leave a message on my operator's talk page.

List of unpaired brackets remaining on the page:
  • ''The Jolly Pindar of Wakefield'' at the English Ballad Broadside Archive of [[UC Santa Barbara]]: [[http://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/ballad/20721/image], [http://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/ballad/33347/image]

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, BracketBot (talk) 18:04, 26 August 2014 (UTC)

Reliability project[edit]

Hi Phoebe. I'm trying to get a sense of how individual board members feel about en.Wikipedia putting a prominent badge at the top of an article that links to a revision of that article that has passed rigorous scholarly review.

I recently discussed it on Jimmy's talk page here, and he's supportive ("...if we had a serious peer review process to run medical articles (or others, but medical is a good place to start) through some recognized expert process, then we should link prominently to that reviewed version." Would you mind sharing your thoughts on that with me? --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 08:23, 29 August 2014 (UTC)

As I'm reading this just by chance here. I'd like to point that is sort of feature was behind the idea of flagged revision (having a special flag for completely verified/scholarly reviewed article versions)--Kmhkmh (talk) 18:14, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
Hi user:Anthonyhcole: As an editorial matter, this isn't a board decision -- it's not within our scope. But, as an editor: I would be happy to see us link to a reviewed version, perhaps in the header ("latest reviewed version"); I think there was a version of flaggedrevs that did this prominently, and we could have an adaptation that reflected/badged particular review processes (outside review, etc.). I think I am in favor of continuing to display an editable/latest version to encourage new editors (and because the majority of articles won't have a reviewed version, at least at first). A lot of this comes down to usability, and where we encourage readers to look and click. On a separate topic, your message made me think: I run a gadget that displays the quality rating underneath each article (User:Pyrospirit/metadata). I find it very useful, and I forget that it's not default... we could look into exposing this existing rating metadata more widely for readers. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 19:52, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
I agree with all of that. I realise the foundation doesn't prescribe this kind of thing, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where the board stands on several issues around peer-review. Thanks for your feedback.
I've been using that gadget forever and had no idea it wasn't part of the default user experience. Great gadget; and it should be a default feature. --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 03:29, 4 September 2014 (UTC)
I've sent you an email. --Anthonyhcole (talk · contribs · email) 04:49, 5 September 2014 (UTC)

Potential Favour[edit]

Hi there!

I'd like to ask you for a favour, as you apparently seem to be one of the very few Wikipedians that might be able to help me out here. I want to extend the article Lake Waiau with some information on the animal and plant life of the lake. The only publication I could find for that is the following PhD thesis:

  • Jane Ellen Massey: Lake Waiau: A Study of a Tropical Alpine Lake, Past and Present. University of Hawaii Press, 1978

As it so happens (according to a reply in de:WP:BIBA) the only copy outside of Hawaii is as UC Davis. So I was wondering whether could scan and email the table of content and possible a few pages of particular interest.

regards,

--Kmhkmh (talk) 18:14, 3 September 2014 (UTC)

Hi User:Kmhkmh: Sure, I'd be happy to (it might take a day or two to get to it, but it's no trouble). Just send me your email address. Also: I took a quick look in the databases and it appears that Massey wrote some other articles about the lake; there's also a handful of other references. Nothing specifically about macrofauna, but Massey seems to have written about diatoms and phytoplankton in the lake. Those might be better sources just because they might be slightly more available to readers/editors? Anyway, if you'd like those references I'd be happy to send you the list and whatever full text I have. best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 19:44, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
My email address is kmhwp@yahoo.de. I couldn't find anything else by Massey (or even another author) in the journal databases and sources I have access to myself, but if you have any other references about any kind of plant or animal life (such as phytoplankton) of that lake, then I'll gladly take that as well.--Kmhkmh (talk) 20:04, 3 September 2014 (UTC)

ORCID[edit]

Hi,

I see from Wikidata that you have an ORCID ID; and I have just added your VIAF and ISNI IDs there. May I add them to your user page here, using {{Authority control}}? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:34, 9 September 2014 (UTC)

You're invited! Litquake Edit-a-thon in San Francisco[edit]

You are invited!Litquake Edit-a-thon in San Francisco → Saturday, October 11, 2014, from 1-5 PM
Amy Tan.jpg

The Edit-a-thon will occur in parallel with Litquake, the San Francisco Bay Area's annual literature festival.

Writers from all over the Bay Area and the world will be in town during the nine day festival, so the timing is just right for us to meet, create and improve articles about literature and writers.

All levels of Wikipedia editing experience are welcome. This event will include new editor training. Please bring your laptop.

The venue: Wikimedia Foundation offices (149 New Montgomery Street, 6th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105) – Google Maps view

You must RSVP here — see you there! --Rosiestep (talk) 03:46, 26 September 2014 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 8[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 8, August-September2014
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs)

  • TWL now a Wikimedia Foundation program, moves on from grant status
  • Four new donations, including large DeGruyter parntership, pilot with Elsevier
  • New TWL coordinators, Wikimania news, new library platform discussions, Wiki Loves Libraries update, and more
  • Spotlight: "Traveling Through History" - an editor talks about his experiences with a TWL newspaper archive, Newspapers.com

Read the full newsletter



MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 04:51, 7 October 2014 (UTC)

resource exchange[edit]

Do you have access to a pdf of this study? thank you. Dodson, Nancy; Gray, Susan; Burke, Pamela (August 2012). "Teen pregnancy prevention on a LARC: an update on long-acting reversible contraception for the primary care provider". Current Opinion in Pediatrics 24 (4): 439–445. Retrieved 3 October 2014. Whereismylunch (talk) 21:21, 7 October 2014 (UTC)

@Whereismylunch: I do. Send me an email? -- phoebe / (talk to me) 04:45, 9 October 2014 (UTC)

UCR edit-a-thon[edit]

Jessica Greene at UCR asked me to set up a page for her upcoming edit-a-thon. I also submitted a request for a geo-notice.

Thanks so much for covering this event, as I am not able to. Chris Troutman (talk) 06:47, 8 October 2014 (UTC)

@Chris troutman: thank you! I hope it's a success. I'm sorry I won't meet you. best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 15:24, 8 October 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for your excellent help at the UCR edit-a-thon[edit]

Thanks, Phoebe, for your excellent help at our local UCR two days ago. I've added a new entry in my own talk page for you to read, following up on one topic. And of course I also followed up and learned much from your user page. I especially need to be better at finding suitable source refs, so I tried some of your links to help the rest of us editors. Thank you! Here is one which I don't think works, however:

not to mention the Librarian's Index to the Internet, a peer-reviewed collection of sites on all topics

in the section on A referencing challenge.

That is, in the search box on the ipl2 webpage I entered "Librarians' Index to the Internet", and got a bunch of results, but could not recognize "a peer-reviewed collection of sites on all topics". Gratefully, For7thGen (talk) 03:55, 24 October 2014 (UTC)

@For7thGen:, hello! It was lovely to meet you as well. It looks like the Librarian's Index and the Internet Public Library (IPL) have been merged together -- those categories of links underneath the IPL search box is what I was referring to. They were/are related non-profit projects run out of Drexel university's library school. I'm not sure if those sites will be helpful for your work or not, but you could give it a try. I should update my sources page, it's been a few years since I've updated it :) best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 19:04, 25 October 2014 (UTC)

@Phoebe:, hi again, and thanks for your clarification above about "sites on all topics". I've finally finished writing and rewriting the bottom entry on my own talk page, for you to act upon. Please take whatever action should be taken to fix the "bug" in WP's enforcement software, which is fully and perhaps exhaustively described there. Enjoy, For7thGen (talk) 01:54, 26 October 2014 (UTC)

New Wikipedia Library Accounts Now Available (November 2014)[edit]

Hello Wikimedians!

The TWL OWL says sign up today :)

The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for, free, full-access accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for:

  • DeGruyter: 1000 new accounts for English and German-language research. Sign up on one of two language Wikipedias:
  • Fold3: 100 new accounts for American history and military archives
  • Scotland's People: 100 new accounts for Scottish genealogy database
  • British Newspaper Archive: expanded by 100+ accounts for British newspapers
  • Highbeam: 100+ remaining accounts for newspaper and magazine archives
  • Questia: 100+ remaining accounts for journal and social science articles
  • JSTOR: 100+ remaining accounts for journal archives

Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team 23:25, 5 November 2014 (UTC)

You can host and coordinate signups for a Wikipedia Library branch in your own language. Please contact Ocaasi (WMF).
This message was delivered via the Mass Message to the Book & Bytes recipient list.

Copyright checks when performing AfC reviews[edit]

Hello Phoebe. This message is part of a mass mailing to people who appear active in reviewing articles for creation submissions. First of all, thank you for taking part in this important work! I'm sorry this message is a form letter – it really was the only way I could think of to covey the issue economically. Of course, this also means that I have not looked to see whether the matter is applicable to you in particular.

The issue is in rather large numbers of copyright violations ("copyvios") making their way through AfC reviews without being detected (even when easy to check, and even when hallmarks of copyvios in the text that should have invited a check, were glaring). A second issue is the correct method of dealing with them when discovered.

If you don't do so already, I'd like to ask for your to help with this problem by taking on the practice of performing a copyvio check as the first step in any AfC review. The most basic method is to simply copy a unique but small portion of text from the draft body and run it through a search engine in quotation marks. Trying this from two different paragraphs is recommended. (If you have any question about whether the text was copied from the draft, rather than the other way around (a "backwards copyvio"), the Wayback Machine is very useful for sussing that out.)

If you do find a copyright violation, please do not decline the draft on that basis. Copyright violations need to be dealt with immediately as they may harm those whose content is being used and expose Wikipedia to potential legal liability. If the draft is substantially a copyvio, and there's no non-infringing version to revert to, please mark the page for speedy deletion right away using {{db-g12|url=URL of source}}. If there is an assertion of permission, please replace the draft article's content with {{subst:copyvio|url=URL of source}}.

Some of the more obvious indicia of a copyvio are use of the first person ("we/our/us..."), phrases like "this site", or apparent artifacts of content written for somewhere else ("top", "go to top", "next page", "click here", use of smartquotes, etc.); inappropriate tone of voice, such as an overly informal tone or a very slanted marketing voice with weasel words; including intellectual property symbols (™,®); and blocks of text being added all at once in a finished form with no misspellings or other errors.

I hope this message finds you well and thanks again you for your efforts in this area. Best regards--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 02:20, 18 November 2014 (UTC).

       Sent via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:20, 18 November 2014 (UTC)

Amy Tan Award[edit]

Amy Tan.jpg Amy Tan Award
Thank you for participating in the First Annual Litquake Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2014 in parallel with Litquake, the San Francisco Bay Area's annual literature festival. Your content contributions and community collaboration helped make the event a success, and are appreciated! Rosiestep (talk) 22:42, 29 November 2014 (UTC)

WP:RX[edit]

Hello Phoebe, kindly send me a copy of this publication, many thanks in advance.

Evaluation of Pharmacist Use and Perception of Wikipedia as a Drug Information Resource. Laurie Brokowski and Amy Heck Sheehan

Annals of Pharmacotherapy, November 2009; vol. 43, 11: pp. 1912-1913.

Sadat (Masssly)TalkCEmail 14:56, 6 December 2014 (UTC)

Wikimedia genealogy project[edit]

Just wondering if you have any thoughts re: the idea of WMF hosting a genealogy project. If so, feel free to contribute to this discussion. And apologies if I have made this request before. ---Another Believer (Talk) 17:51, 9 December 2014 (UTC)

New Wikipedia Library Accounts Now Available (December 2014)[edit]

Hello Wikimedians!

The TWL OWL says sign up today :)

The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for, free, full-access accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for:

Other partnerships with accounts available are listed on our partners page. Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team.00:25, 18 December 2014 (UTC)

You can host and coordinate signups for a Wikipedia Library branch in your own language. Please contact Ocaasi (WMF).
This message was delivered via the Mass Message tool to the Book & Bytes recipient list.

Category:Articles containing video clips[edit]

Category:Articles containing video clips, which you contributed to, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. — xaosflux Talk 04:12, 19 December 2014 (UTC)

testing arxiv[edit]

Safron, Emily J.; Fischer, William J.; Thomas Megeath, S.; Furlan, Elise; Stutz, Amelia M.; Stanke, Thomas; Billot, Nicolas; Rebull, Luisa M.; Tobin, John J.; Ali, Babar; Allen, Lori E.; Booker, Joseph; Watson, Dan M.; Wilson, T. L. (2015). "HOPS 383: An Outbursting Class 0 Protostar in Orion". arXiv:1501.00492 [astro-ph.SR]. 

arXiv:1501.00492

Books and Bytes - Issue 9[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 9, November-December 2014
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs)

  • New donations, including real-paper-and-everything books, e-books, science journal databases, and more
  • New TWL coordinators, conference news, a new open-access journal database, summary of library-related WMF grants, and more
  • Spotlight: "Global Impact: The Wikipedia Library and Persian Wikipedia" - a Persian Wikipedia editor talks about their experiences with database access in Iran, writing on the Persian project and the JSTOR partnership

Read the full newsletter

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:36, 8 January 2015 (UTC)

Draft:Drought in California[edit]

Good morning! I noticed that you created Draft:Drought in California, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me contributing to it from time to time. Best, Bananasoldier (talk) 15:01, 26 January 2015 (UTC)

@Bananasoldier: but of course! Please feel free to do anything you like and move to published article when you think it's ready. I haven't had much time to edit the last few weeks so haven't worked on it; I'd be very happy to see someone else add to it! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 21:44, 28 January 2015 (UTC)

RfC: AfC Helper Script access[edit]

An RfC has been opened at RfC to physically restrict access to the Helper Script. You are invited to comment. --Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 17:11, 1 February 2015 (UTC)

RfC: AfC Helper Script access[edit]

An RfC has been opened at RfC to physically restrict access to the Helper Script. You are invited to comment. --Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 17:14, 1 February 2015 (UTC)

BIS 98[edit]

Hi Phoebe,

I'm just checking in concerning the course page you created for Education Program:University of California, Davis/BIS 98 (W15) . LiAnna said she thought it was likely a test, but it looks like you've included some assignment specifics there so I'm just making sure we set you up for whatever support you need.

Thanks --Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 20:36, 11 February 2015 (UTC)

Hey Ryan! Thanks for checking in, and nice to meet you. I know it's a pretty stubby page, but it's actually not a test; it's a class I'm consulting with. It's a very different type of assignment though from the usual -- large-scale, minor edits. I realize this violates many of the best practices we've developed over the years for Wikipedia assignments :) That's intentional on my part though, and I'm keeping a pretty close eye on things. We're hoping to have one more pilot quarter and then evaluation; I'll write up what we did for everyone. I think we're ok for support for now -- if anyone asks about it, I'm taking full personal responsibility for cleaning up the articles in question if need be. best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 20:44, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for clarifying and for the fast response. In general we like to stick to a particular set of best practices, yes, and to that effect we've been really pushing people to use the assignment design wizard where applicable. There's a copyediting option in there that I'd love your feedback on if you have time to check it out. That said, you certainly have enough experience using and helping people to use Wikipedia that nobody here is concerned if you veer from best practices. Unless you would prefer not to, I'd like to tag your course as supported by wiki_ed. That gives you access to the dashboard feature and extra support if you decide you do want it (e.g. the help of one of our content experts who can provide feedback directly to students and free brochures). --Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 21:37, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Thanks Ryan! Sure, go for it -- if for no other reason than I'm curious what it looks like (I work with a fair number of faculty who are thinking about teaching with WP, so it's nice to be up on what we're doing). I haven't looked at the assignment wizard, I'll check it out. Say hi to everyone at WikiEd for me. best, -- phoebe / (talk to me) 21:59, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Great. I replaced the course page header with the newer version that links to the dashboard, turned on dashboard access (it should update within the hour if it's not working yet), added the wiki_ed support parameter, and added myself as online volunteer (I add myself by default for the instructor's benefit; you can remove me if you think it could be confusing). Ian (Wiki Ed) is the content expert who could help out your students. Thanks very much! --Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 22:09, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Oh, and to follow up on I work with a fair number of faculty who are thinking about teaching with WP: We're trying to do a little active recruitment for this term, which means recruiting instructors to add a small assignment for terms that have already started or working with people at schools on quarter-based schedules who might not have started yet. If you talk to anyone who might be interested, it would be great if you could send them my way :)
Thanks again, Phoebe. --Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 22:15, 11 February 2015 (UTC)

Quick question: I didn't notice at the time that the course end date is set to just a couple days after the course page was created. Was that intentional? Just making sure it shouldn't still be on the current course list. Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 20:23, 19 February 2015 (UTC)

Upcoming edit-a-thon in Richmond, Virginia[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Phoebe. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

Categorize articles with video clips[edit]

Hi Phoebe! In your recent bot request to categorize articles with video clips, you provided this link, which is no longer working. Was it the intent that the link would continue to be updated, so I do subsequent bot runs? Thanks! GoingBatty (talk) 20:45, 16 February 2015 (UTC)

Hi @GoingBatty:, it would be nice to have ongoing runs, yes. I don't know why the tool is broken -- I'll file a bug about it. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 05:34, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
Just noticed that this tool is now fixed, so I'm running the bot again to categorize another 700+ articles. Thanks! GoingBatty (talk) 01:36, 5 August 2015 (UTC)
@GoingBatty: awesome, thanks! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 23:46, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

SF edit-a-thons on March 7 and 8[edit]

ArtAndFeminism (3/7) and International Women's Day (3/8)!
Art-and-feminism.svg
8 March San Francisco International Womens Day edit-a-thon.jpg

Dear fellow Wikipedian,

In celebration of WikiWomen's History Month, the SF Bay Area Wikipedia community has two events in early March -- please consider attending!

First, we have an ArtAndFeminism edit-a-thon, which will take place at the Kadist Art Foundation from 12 noon to 6pm on Saturday, March 7. We'll be one of many sites worldwide participating in this edit-a-thon on March 7th. So join us as we help improve Wikipedia's coverage of women artists and their works!

Second, we will be celebrating International Women's Day with the International Women's Day edit-a-thon on Sunday, March 8 from 1pm to 5pm at the Wikimedia Foundation. Our editing focus will be on women, of course!

I hope to see you there! Rosiestep (talk) - via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:06, 20 February 2015 (UTC)

To opt out of future mailings about SF meetups, please remove your name from this list.

Books and Bytes - Issue 10[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 10, January-February 2015
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs)

  • New donations - ProjectMUSE, Dynamed, Royal Pharmaceutical Society, and Women Writers Online
  • New TWL coordinator, conference news, and a new guide and template for archivists
  • TWL moves into the new Community Engagement department at the WMF, quarterly review

Read the full newsletter

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:40, 4 March 2015 (UTC)

Some stroopwafels for you![edit]

Gaufre biscuit.jpg Thank you for attending the editathon on Sunday. Lovely to see you as always! rachel (talk) 00:44, 12 March 2015 (UTC)

Invitation[edit]

A gummi bear holding a sign that says "Thank you"
Thank you for using VisualEditor and sharing your ideas with the developers.

Hello, Phoebe,

The Editing team is asking for your help with VisualEditor. I am contacting you because you were one of the very first testers of VisualEditor, back in 2012 or early 2013. Please tell them what they need to change to make VisualEditor work better for you. The team has a list of top-priority problems, but they also want to hear about small problems. These problems may make editing less fun, take too much of your time, or be as annoying as a paper cut. The Editing team wants to hear about and try to fix these small things, too. 

You can share your thoughts by clicking this link. You may respond to this quick, simple, anonymous survey in your own language. If you take the survey, then you agree your responses may be used in accordance with these terms. This survey is powered by Qualtrics and their use of your information is governed by their privacy policy.

More information (including a translateable list of the questions) is posted on wiki at mw:VisualEditor/Survey 2015. If you have questions, or prefer to respond on-wiki, then please leave a message on the survey's talk page.

Unsubscribe from this list Sign up for VisualEditor's multilingual newsletterTranslate the user guide

Thank you, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 18:13, 23 March 2015 (UTC)

thanks for you thanks re climate fiction page and i would love to chat with you sometime about Wiki ideas, i love it, and i am reporter, editor, 65 in Taiwan sinc 1991. dan bloom, Tufts 1971 lit major (Chiayi77 (talk) 04:56, 24 March 2015 (UTC)).

Sakata info[edit]

Thanks Phoebe, I wasn't aware of the Wikivoyages pages. I'll try and add some information for Sakata. It's my first time contributing to Wikipedia, so I'm still trying to get the hang of it. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Sakburgh5 (talkcontribs) 05:26, 24 March 2015 (UTC)

Unconstructive edits and original research[edit]

Hello! I'm new here and was reviewing Wikipedia's core content policies when I noticed that an unconstructive edit was made over at Sophie Hunter's page by Lady Lotus (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sophie_Hunter&diff=653358418&oldid=653281992). I'm forwarding this request to you as I have seen that you are active with pages on Women in the Arts. Anyway, Lady Lotus has restored an edit that mislabels a production and removes a credit. User Corsican Honeymoon's edit should be restored due to the following reasons:

  • Calling the production Lucretia an installation is mislabeling the production because installations are inanimate and Lucretia has movements from performers, so it should be properly called performance art. Installation and performance art are entirely different things.
  • Putting the timestamp "(2011)" after Rape of Lucretia suggests that Rape of Lucretia was done in 2011 when it isn't. It's the performance art Lucretia that was produced in 2011 not the opera which was first performed in 1946.
  • Deletion of Magic Flute as credit when the provided reliable source explicitly says that Hunter has directed it. Per core content policy "No original research", an editor can't just remove a credit because she thinks the production didn't happen at all. That counts as vandalism.Medium Bae Cutie Pie (talk) 01:51, 25 March 2015 (UTC)

A desperate scream from outside of the echo chamber[edit]

Hello Phoebe. Thank you for your work on wikipedia!

I came across another article on a topic which is very important to me today. I hope you don't mind if I share an excerpt:

"The main source of [Wikipedia's decline] is not mysterious. The loose collective running the site today, estimated to be 90 percent male, operates a crushing bureaucracy with an often abrasive atmosphere that deters newcomers who might increase participation in Wikipedia and broaden its coverage." - The Decline of Wikipedia.

Is anything seriously being done about this by **you** today? Any widespread structural change initiatives?

Everyday there are more warnings to radically change course. This is the biggest long term problem facing the health of wikipedia. The history of technology shows that it is only a matter of time before a more inclusive upstart threatens wikipedia's dominance.

Thank you for listening! Namecheapblues (talk) 13:41, 27 March 2015 (UTC)

A new reference tool[edit]

Hello Books & Bytes subscribers. There is a new Visual Editor reference feature in development called Citoid. It is designed to "auto-fill" references using a URL or DOI. We would really appreciate you testing whether TWL partners' references work in Citoid. Sharing your results will help the developers fix bugs and improve the system. If you have a few minutes, please visit the testing page for simple instructions on how to try this new tool. Regards, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 10 April 2015 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 11[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 11, March-April 2015
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs), Nikkimaria (talk · contribs)

  • New donations - MIT Press Journals, Sage Stats, Hein Online and more
  • New TWL coordinators, conference news, and new reference projects
  • Spotlight: Two metadata librarians talk about how library professionals can work with Wikipedia

Read the full newsletter



MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:20, 4 May 2015 (UTC)

(Early) Welcome to MIT![edit]

Hi Phoebe -- I just saw on your candidate page that you'll soon be joining the MIT libraries. Wonderful! Looking forward to meeting you and discussing ideas on how MIT and the community can integrate better with WP and mutually support each other. Best, Michael Cuthbert (Assoc. Prof. Music; chair of the Lewis Music Library Faculty Committee). [ etc: -- Michael Scott Cuthbert (talk) 20:53, 19 May 2015 (UTC) ]

Mscuthbert thanks! Very cool. Looking forward to it and to meeting you as well. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 17:07, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
Wonderful! See you around! - Myke -- Michael Scott Cuthbert (talk) 17:48, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

A pie for you![edit]

A very beautiful Nectarine Pie.jpg Thanks for all your work as a trustee through your term. Having had fingers in pies but not for your benefit I thought you should have your own one.  :) GregKaye 17:02, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
thank you :) I love pie. -- phoebe / (talk to me) 01:51, 29 June 2015 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library needs you![edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg
Call for Volunteers

The Wikipedia Library is expanding, and we need your help! With only a couple of hours per week, you can make a big difference in helping editors get access to reliable sources and other resources. Sign up for one of the following roles:

  • Account coordinators help distribute research accounts to editors.
  • Partner coordinators seek donations from new partners.
  • Outreach coordinators reach out to the community through blog posts, social media, and newsletters or notifications.
  • Technical coordinators advise on building tools to support the library's work.
Sign up to help here :)

Delivered on behalf of The Wikipedia Library by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:16, 11 June 2015 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library needs you![edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg
Call for Volunteers

Did you know that Wikipedia has its own library? The Wikipedia Library is seeking volunteers from those in galleries, libraries, archives and museums.

Sign up to help here :)

Delivered on behalf of The Wikipedia Library by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:18, 11 June 2015 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 12[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 12, May-June 2015
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs), Nikkimaria (talk · contribs)

  • New donations - Taylor & Francis, Science, and three new French-language resources
  • Expansion into new languages, including French, Finnish, Turkish, and Farsi
  • Spotlight: New partners for the Visiting Scholar program
  • American Library Association Annual meeting in San Francisco

Read the full newsletter

The Interior 15:23, 16 July 2015 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for August 1[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Jean Pierre Sioussat, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Paul Jennings (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:04, 1 August 2015 (UTC)

Eponymous Wikipedians[edit]

I finally got around to actually creating Category:Eponymous Wikipedians. Feel free to add yourself, pass the word around, etc. Or not, it's just for fun. (The category description could probably use some love as well.) C. Scott Ananian (talk) 13:50, 25 August 2015 (UTC)