User talk:Dragons flight
|Dragons flight is experiencing health issues that may affect his ability to work on Wikipedia. Consequently, this user may not be able to respond to talk-page messages or e-mails in a timely manner. Your patience is greatly appreciated.|
About my health
About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma, a rare type of white blood cell cancer. The diagnosis was made in the early stages, and the prognosis is relatively good (at least as cancer prognoses goes).
However, I have a long road to recovery involving surgery and chemotherapy that is expected to take multiple months. During that time, there will likely be periods where chemo has me down and I may be unavailable for extended periods of time. There will also likely be periods of time where I am feeling relatively well (like right now) and may choose to contribute to Wikipedia, as I enjoy it and they encourage chemo patients to stay mentally engaged. However, my participation and responsiveness to inquiries is likely to be very hit and miss over the next several months.
If anyone wants to, a friend and coworker set up a donation page to support my costs during treatment , but I'm not expecting anything from anyone here and already have pretty good health insurance and good support.
Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to beating this thing.
- I wish the very best to you and I hope you are able to defeat the cancer. It is completely understandable why you might have to disengage from Wikipedia for a while; when you return full time, it will be celebration for the project, as we'll have you back again, and more importantly, a celebration for yourself, as it'll mean you're well again. All the best, Dragons flight, all the best. Acalamari 22:27, 26 April 2017 (UTC)
- Best of luck! I am lucky not to have any such personal experience, but I recall a friend that fought some cancer for decades. There were bad years, and there were good quiet decades, but she did a lot of good stuff in between - and a few not so good, don't we all? :). And she never, ever, 'was' her disease, she was always herself. That we can fight to control. I hope I can do the same if needed someday, and again, wish you all the best. - Nabla (talk) 22:50, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
- Thinking of you with sympathy and hope. Among all your more important contributions to this project and this community, I've never forgotten the effort you made to do this. With my appreciation and very best regards and wishes. Ira Brad Matetsky, Newyorkbrad (talk) 22:59, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
- Good luck with your treatment and recovery! I'm sure this must be a trying time for you and it's completely understandable that you would need to take some time off from Wikipedia. If there are any articles that you would like us to keep an eye on while you're gone, just ask. Hope to see you back soon! Kaldari (talk) 01:03, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
- Sorry to hear you've been dealing with this. Strength and healing go with you, and hoping for a speedy recovery <3 - Alison ❤ 22:05, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Robert! This is not happy news. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! --Stephan Schulz (talk) 22:58, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- I am thinking of you and yours and wishing you health and fortitude. best, Keilana (talk) 18:33, 25 May 2017 (UTC)
It has now been about two months since I posted about my cancer here (and about three months since the initial diagnosis).
After 2 surgeries and 6 in-patient chemotherapy treatments, I am happy to say that I am now recovering at home. Burkitt's lymphoma is one of the relatively "good" forms of cancer, and >80% patients in my position can expect to be fully cured. There will be a substantial period of rest and recovery, as well as a long period of monitoring for potential relapse, but I am optimistic about the future and being able to get on with my life.
- Good to hear you are on the mend. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 12:41, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- This is very welcome! I wish you a speedy rest-recovery! --Stephan Schulz (talk) 12:43, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- Super news! Delighted to hear you're well on the road to recovery :) - Alison ❤ 08:50, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- Great, hope to see you back here then.! Doug Weller talk 12:30, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- Welcome home. Glad you're better. A Traintalk 06:53, 7 July 2017 (UTC)
ITN recognition for Maryam Mirzakhani
Invitation to Admin confidence survey
Beginning in September 2017, the Wikimedia Foundation Anti-harassment tool team will be conducting a survey to gauge how well tools, training, and information exists to assist English Wikipedia administrators in recognizing and mitigating things like sockpuppetry, vandalism, and harassment.
The survey should only take 5 minutes, and your individual response will not be made public. This survey will be integral for our team to determine how to better support administrators.
To take the survey sign up here and we will send you a link to the form.
We really appreciate your input!
Please let us know if you wish to opt-out of all massmessage mailings from the Anti-harassment tools team.
For the Anti-harassment tools team, SPoore (WMF), Community Advocate, Community health initiative (talk) 19:52, 13 September 2017 (UTC)
ITN recognition for 2017 Las Vegas Strip shooting
ArbCom 2017 election voter message
Precious three years