User talk:Rich jj/Sandbox/Tabernacles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
I listed this article as "Tabernacles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" to go along with other similar articles, like List of general officers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, I recognize this is a long title and other conventions exist, such as with Ward (LDS Church), Pearl of Great Price (Mormonism), Ensign (LDS magazine), etc. I think enough articles use "(LDS Church)" that this should be "Tabernacle (LDS Church)," but perhaps the table could be split into a separate article called "List of tabernacles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Thoughts? ——Rich jj (talk) 18:20, 7 September 2010 (UTC)
- I agree it should be split to "Tabernacle (LDS Church)" and "List of tabernacles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", it would fit with "Temple (LDS Church)" and "List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". -Lөvөl 18:55, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
Does anyone have access to Aaron McArthur's 2005 thesis on LDS tabernacles (listed in the references)? I could try to make a trip to the University of Utah or BYU to look at it in their special collections, but that would take days for me to read and I can't check it out or take it home.
Apparently it is in the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses collection, but I don't have access to that since I'm not in college anymore. Does anybody else have the ability to read this and contribute from it?
I'd also be interested in Richard Jackson's 1997 paper, but I think that's only available in the University of Utah special collections, and I assume he put all its content into his more-available 2003 book.
This should also use Allen Roberts's 1974 survey, which may have been through the Utah State division of history or the LDS Church, I can't tell which. It is listed in the catalog of the Utah State History Division and might be hard to find. ——Rich jj (talk) 18:20, 7 September 2010 (UTC)
- I was able to gain access to McArthur's 2005 thesis and will slowly read it and incorporate it into this article. We should still try to access the following sources:
- Richard W. Jackson (1997), "Mormon Tabernacles: An Historical Exegesis, 1847-1937," Salt Lake City, Utah. Available at the University of Utah and Brigham Young University libraries.
- Allen D. Roberts (1974), "A Survey of L.D.S. Architecture in Utah, 1847-1930," Salt Lake City: Cornerstone, Mormon Architectural Heritage; State of Utah, Division of State History
- Paul L. Anderson (1979), "Mormon Tabernacle Architecture: From Meetinghouse to Cathedral," unpublished lecture, Utah Heritage Foundation Lecture Series, Assembly Hall, 12 April 1979 (This was cited by McArthur but I can't find it listed in any library catalogs. It seems to actually come from William G. Hartley's 1979 BYU Studies article on "The Priesthood Reorganization of 1877.")
- ——Rich jj (talk) 18:34, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
It was mentioned at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Latter Day Saint movement#LDS Tabernacles that only the Salt Lake Tabernacle and Logan Tabernacle have Wikipedia articles of their own. I would also add these:
- Ely Stake Tabernacle
- Salt Lake Assembly Hall (usually considered a tabernacle)
- St. George Tabernacle
- Uintah Stake Tabernacle (now the Vernal Utah Temple)
That said, there are other structures worthy of their own article irregardless of whether they are listed on the national register. In my opinion, these should at least include:
- Bountiful Tabernacle
- Hollywood Stake Tabernacle/Wilshire Ward Chapel
- Kaysville/Miller's Hollow/Log Tabernacle
- Ogden Tabernacle
- Paris Tabernacle
- Parowan Tabernacle (Rock Church)
- Provo Tabernacle
Rich, I've added stand alone articles for Paris Tabernacle, Wasatch Stake Tabernacle,Box Elder Stake Tabernacle, and Summit Stake Tabernacle. I am new to Wikipedia, but think that your list of tabernacles should be a stand alone article. I almost endeavored on it myself after coming across yours. I'd be happy to help edit, or restructure how you like. ——User:Rplindsay 2 March 2012 —Preceding undated comment added 22:34, 2 March 2012 (UTC).
I moved some sections to User talk:Rich jj/Sandbox/List of tabernacles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. ——Rich jj (talk) 21:52, 29 June 2011 (UTC)