- The five pillars of Wikipedia
- How to edit a page
- Editing tutorial
- Picture tutorial
- How to write a great article
- Naming conventions
- Manual of Style
- Please bear these points in mind while editing Wikipedia
- Respect copyrights – do not copy and paste text or images directly from other websites.
- Maintain a neutral point of view – this is one of Wikipedia's core policies.
- Take particular care while adding biographical material about a living person to any Wikipedia page and follow Wikipedia's Biography of Living Persons policy. Particularly, controversial and negative statements should be referenced with multiple reliable sources.
- No edit warring or sock puppetry
- If you are testing, please use the Sandbox to .
- Do not add troublesome content to any article, such as: copyrighted text, libel, advertising or promotional messages, and text that is not related to an article's subject. Deliberately adding such content or otherwise editing articles maliciously is considered vandalism; doing so will result in your account or IP being blocked from editing.
The Wikipedia tutorial is a good place to start learning about Wikipedia. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the village pump or ask me on my talk page. By the way, you can sign your name on Talk and discussion pages using four tildes, like this: ~~~~ (the software will replace them with your signature and the date). Again, welcome! --Demiurge1000 (talk) 12:58, 21 July 2011 (UTC)
Your recent edit to Talk:Harold Covington
Hi, I've removed the section you just added to Talk:Harold Covington. I'm sure you didn't intend any harm and were presenting what you thought was valid information, but because you didn't provide a source for it (a link to a reliable source where you found it, basically), it fell into an area of enforcement where we're obligated to remove it for the legal protection of both Wikipedia and the article subject (the posting of potentially damaging or defamatory information about a living person is something Wikipedia is extremely sensitive to). Please don't re-add it unless or until you can cite the information to a valid, reliable source. A fluffernutter is a sandwich! (talk) 20:57, 21 July 2011 (UTC)
Hi sorry I removed you revert without a edit summary - I pressed the wrong button. I see you are a very new editor and a WP:SPA in regard to this controversial BLP article. - the subject is strongly claiming the allegation of mental illness is defamatory and there are ongoing complaints about it at WP:OTRS - I support keeping it out - it seems the subject is estranged from his brother and that is the only source of the information. I would like to see some reliable independent reports of the claims before I would feel ok to add it. Leaving out what is a complained about single claim of mental illness without additional sourcing is at this time the better option in the BLP at this time. Regards. - Off2riorob (talk) 18:06, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
Also please be aware all user are requested to edit from a single account - if you have any connection to Your Buddy Fred Lewis you are in violation of WP:sockpuppet - Off2riorob (talk) 18:12, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- So who are your previous accounts then? in your fourth edit you say, "I can't tell you how many times I have reported this problem to a moderator and they decline to correct it." - are you saying this account is the first time you have editing the article? Have you edited the Harry Covington BLP article / talkpage under previous identities? Off2riorob (talk) 19:51, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
When I first began editing the Article I didn't have an account. I was editing under my IP which is 126.96.36.199. If you'd like you can have a moderator confirm this. This is the only account I have associated with Wikipedia, and I took it up because I thought it might be easier to recognize who the comments were coming from in the discussion page if they were under a name instead of a string of numbers, considering the other user who claims to be the subject of the article was (and presumably still is) also using his IP, not to mention several other accounts in order to evade editing blocks. I will no longer be using my IP when editing as I have it cookied in my browser so this site recognizes me.--SlapChopVincent (talk) 20:17, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Well, thank you I appreciate your honesty. Just to clarify - my position is that I am looking for the mid point - that place that best informs readers about the main points of the subjects notability and also the place where the subject accepts the content is a correct reporting of their biographical notability, all reported using the highest quality citations. That magic place where readers are informed and the complaints dry up.Off2riorob (talk) 20:24, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Do you mean this guy - Vince Offer - ? - Apparently Lewis was a friend that was thrown of of S Africa with the subject - allegedly. Off2riorob (talk) 20:44, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, Vince Offer was his name. Also, If you look in the archived discussion page, specifically here you will see that Covington claims that Fred Lewis refers to Eric Thomson and/or Jeff Spencer. I've never really heard Covington elaborate on this or give any evidence (although I wouldn't expect this to be the kind of thing that can be proven) but I think you should take into consideration that Covington could possibly be lying just to discredit other users. I've heard of people going by a different given name, but a different last name also would seem unusual.--SlapChopVincent (talk) 21:07, 24 July 2011 (UTC)