2009: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2010: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2011: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2012: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2013: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2014: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2015: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2016: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Other: 1
|Threads older than 5 days may be archived by.|
Latest jhonny jhonny yes papa sock
- Blocked on Commons. @Indopug: If you see more from this guy, please report them to me at Commons on my talk so I can get them blocked and tagged there. INeverCry 06:19, 15 August 2016 (UTC)
- I'm kinda sorta back now, but I likely won't be able to attend to socks quickly, so SPI is likely the best bet. cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 03:48, 19 August 2016 (UTC)
- Here's the latest, already CU blocked on Commons: INeverCry 18:18, 25 August 2016 (UTC)
- Blocked. cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 01:15, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
Request for review of speedy deletion of Siri Rama
Hi! I am a newbie user (but a very grateful and longtime reader!) of Wikipedia, and found it difficult to even navigate the user pages/talk pages etc. of the administrators who seem to have made a decision on speedy deletion of this page. But I finally found a source that said that this was the place (i.e. your talk page) I should write to if I wanted to request a review of the page for Siri Rama. The reasons for the speedy deletion seem to be outlined here:
It only recently came to my attention that someone who recently arranged a TedX talk by Dr Siri Rama created a Wikipedia page for her (which the organizer wrote based on promotional materials for Dr Siri that had been requested) and that this page for Dr Siri has since been deleted (speedily too!) because of the “self-promotional” nature of the write-up and what the administrators not-so-kindly refer to as “non-notability.” While it is the prerogative of the administrators to determine notability, it is a little unfair to Dr Siri that for no fault of hers, there is now some publicly available and uncharitable discussion on whether her contributions have been notable. It is certainly possible that her achievements do not add up to the high standards that are required for a Wikipedia entry, but it is also possible that the well-intentioned initial page creator did not write the page appropriately – that the entry was not written in a strictly biographical manner, but in a promotional manner, and did not include enough independent references. Indeed the talk on the deletion page by the four commenters (administrators?) does suggest exactly those as the reasons for speedy deletion.
I am not the original creator of the entry, but clearly I am not a disinterested party either, or else I would not be writing to you.
I would like to ask if • that discussion can be deleted from the Wikipedia pages, as otherwise, there is unnecessary harm potentially to her reputation (that some anonymous commenters have publicly assessed her many contributions as non-notable), for no fault of hers (since she did not instigate or create this page), OR, • could you reconsider a new page for her with better references and written in a more objective fashion. Please do consider the facts and sources below.
Dr Siri Rama is not “just” a dancer – she is a choreographer, dance scholar, dance teacher (who has graduated many students through to a debut performance in India and in Singapore), has performed worldwide, has collaborated with award-winning artistes from many different genres, and has been given many awards, including a lifetime achievement award. Recently, her dance institution celebrated its 35th anniversary. Now all of this could well be written up in a factual manner, backed up by independent sources, on the web and off-the-web (through publication references).
While one of your administrators disparages the Hindu newspaper as a source, you might note that it is the only national newspaper in India that has substantial coverage of Indian classical dance. Also the leading Indian dance site is Narthaki.com, and the leading Indian classical music and dance magazine is Sruti. Dr Siri Rama’s work has been covered in all three of these media vehicles (and in several city editions of the Hindu). She is also currently serving her third consecutive term as elected President of the Singapore chapter of the World Dance Alliance.
A few important (but not comprehensive list of) Web references to the dance, choreography and scholarship work of Dr Siri Rama (as Indian dance operates in what may be termed as the “informal sector,” not every detail is captured in easily-citeable web references – and some are in the regional press, which do not maintain very comprehensive websites).
• http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/fr/2005/08/19/stories/2005081901670200.htm Aug 2005, Delhi (review of a dance production in the Hindu the only Indian newspaper that reviews Indian classical music and dance)
• http://www.narthaki.com/info/intervw/intrvw60.html Jan 2004, Chennai (interview by the editor of the leading Indian classical dance website, Narthaki)
• http://www.natyakalaconference.com/news_letter_30th_dec.pdf, Dec 2009, Chennai (report about panel presentation at the leading annual Indian classical dance conference)
• http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/dance/experiments-with-expressions/article505966.ece July 2010, Chennai (interview by a Hindu journalist)
• http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/dance/dialogue-through-dance/article6267954.ece July 2014, Trivandrum (another interview by a Hindu journalist)
• http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/dance/siri-ramas-recent-dance-production-silk-roots-traces-the-route-of-the-material/article8253053.ece (feature in the Hindu about recent production) Feb, 2016, Chennai
• Siri Rama’s TedX talk: http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Physics-and-Physicality-Dr-Siri;search%3Asiri%20rama Jul 2016, Mumbai
Other web references:
• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Schiemer (collaborator’s site)
• http://www.sruti.com/download/content1/A%20Dancer's%20Diary%20-%20A%20dream%20community%20for%20artists%20(Reproduced%20from%20Sruti%20337).pdf October 2012, (self-report on a dance tour of Taiwan in Sruti, the leading Indian classical music and dance magazine)
• http://www.deccanherald.com/content/214394/twin-dancers-singapore.html December, 2011 (review of students’ performance in the Deccan Herald, Bengaluru)
• http://www.wda-ap.org/executive-board/ (verification of service as President, World Dance Alliance, Singapore)
• https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=s-ffCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=sanskrit+conference+siri+rama&source=bl&ots=AbR1qzJ3ys&sig=jzDkwgSAHhtmw1rLc0-DrDz_dac&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG2vfdqMrOAhXJr48KHZyKAsEQ6AEIJDAC#v=onepage&q=sanskrit%20conference%20siri%20rama&f=false (chapter authored by Siri Rama in a book on Singapore dance)
• http://www.worldcat.org/title/sanskrit-in-asia-unity-in-diversity-an-international-conference-on-the-auspiciuos-golden-jubilee-birth-anniversary-of-hrh-princess-maha-chakri-sirindhorn-souvenir-and-abstract-book/oclc/945083295 (reference to presentation at a conference on Sanskrit, in Bangkok, 2005)
• http://en.krishna.deltoso.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/213_ACM_Conference_Programme_1718_July.pdf (reference to a presentation on the Ramayana in Singapore, 2010)
• http://iawm.org/stef/articles_html/hinkleturner_icmc_hongkong.html (reference to a dance performance set to computer music in Hong Kong, 1996)
Please let me know if you could either delete the discussion, or consider a new page for her, written with a more neutral tone and better referenced with independent sources (these above and others)
Thanks a lot for responding, SpacemanSpiff! I'll try to figure out how to do that! Looks like i have to master some tech-speak to post it correctly there with the correct html markups, but will try to figure it out! Amarapriya (talk) 03:55, 24 August 2016 (UTC)
Hello SpacemanSpiff, I am a new user but I want to became a admin on Wikipedia after 2-3 months (if I make more than 1000 edits). As you are an admin please tell me about adminship of Wikipedia on my talk page. Spacecraft Man (talk) 14:38, 21 August 2016 (UTC)
- I left them a note on their talk page about all of this, basically just telling them to learn about policy and whatnot first and not look at becoming an admin as something reliant on hitting a certain amount of edits or being around for a set amount of time. Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 07:00, 22 August 2016 (UTC)
- Tokyogirl79, This has been going on for long over here and at Commons, don't think he particularly cares for any advice. cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 10:33, 22 August 2016 (UTC)
- Ah, gotcha. I kind of wondered since asking about adminship right away has become sort of a bad sign for new accounts. Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 23:55, 22 August 2016 (UTC)
- Just saw that he tried posting on my talk page asking for rollbacker rights for just one week. (Request had been swiftly removed by Bbb23.) Yeesh, that's pretty ballsy even for a sockpuppet. Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 23:57, 22 August 2016 (UTC)
Delete my page : Anis Choudhury (G12: Unambiguous copyright infringement (CSDH))
I WAS NEW AT WIKIPEDIA. I CREATED A PAGE FOR ANIS CHOUDHURY. FOR COPYRIGHTED PROBLEM, YOU DELETE MY PAGE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO REVISE ME. SO THAT I CAN CREATE A PAGE CORRECTLY. I HAVE SOME OFFICIAL REFERENCE OF ANIS CHOUDHURY. I AM FROM BANGLADESH. Bangladesh have a governmental official encyclopedia whose name is BanglaPedia. Reference is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banglapedia. In that page you will find the anis choudhury information. I give you the link http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Chowdhury,_Anis . Another reference has that when anis choudhury died our nation parliament propose a condolence for anis choudhury. this is hard copy. in the attachment, i send you the scancopy ( Bangladesh Parliament Condolence April 1991 – Page 1 Bangladesh Parliament Condolence April 1991 – Page 2 Bangladesh Parliament Condolence April 1991 – Page 15 ) . You can see the biography of our site also Biography of Anis Choudhury . If you need any other proved then, i will try to give you the information. Thank you advance. Sorry for late response. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Mahi Uddin (talk • contribs) 05:04, 24 August 2016 (UTC)
Please retain the current Montage image of Mangalore
Hi Spaceman Spiff,
I am glad Yudirai has updated the montage image of Mangalore article. That Town Hall image is very old for a fast growing city like Mangalore. Mangalore deserves pictures of the true skyline, beaches and city scapes combined into a single image.
Please retain the current Montage image and don't revert it to that Town Hall picture.
220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:58, 24 August 2016 (UTC)
- Shreyas R Shreyas, it's time for you to stop your copyvio sockpuppetry nonsense here and at Commons. It's wasting the time of many editors. —SpacemanSpiff 10:20, 24 August 2016 (UTC)
Thanks - Ravidas page
Hi SpacemanSpiff, you just reverted an edit of mine on the Ravidas page. Just letting you know I lost internet connection and wasn't able to continue the editing I was doing at the time which is why the sentence wasn't finished. All is good now, so just to say thanks for fixing that up. CheersSpinach444 (talk) 04:40, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
There is no problem with giving a notification to someone for an "un-takeable" (and not unaaceptable) edit, or for adding media. However, strutting out warnings as if you own the place, is a problem!
This has been created again after being deleted thrice. Also User:Refiner Man looks to be connected to User:Sonusinghmumbai and User:Charanpreeet based on editing pattern.- Managerarc™ talk 16:51, 28 August 2016 (UTC)