|↓||Skip to table of contents||↓|
Signpost, Tech News, and Centralized discussion are currently transcluded here in the top section on the right side. See also: User:Timeshifter/Newsletters. It shows another way to transclude some newsletters on a page. See also User:Timeshifter/Centralized discussion. It is a show/hide box.
|18 August 2016|
For more images like the one below see:
|Picture of the day|
Quaker guns in former Confederate fortifications at Manassas Junction, Virginia, in March 1862. Quaker guns were widely used as a deception tactic in warfare during the 18th and 19th centuries. Although resembling an actual cannon, the Quaker gun was simply a wooden log, usually painted black. The name derives from the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers, who have traditionally held a religious opposition to war and violence in the Peace Testimony.
User talk here is not archived. Old talk is deleted. Users are allowed to remove anything from their talk pages. See WP:TALK and other wikipedia guidelines/policies. Like Wikipedia articles over time, people change, and there is little point in referring to past stale arguments and discussions.
To keep the discussion in one thread some comments added here are moved to the user talk page of the author. I reply there. I also watchlist that talk page for awhile in order to note when the user there replies. Harassing comments are also sometimes moved off this talk page. Sometimes the original author is offended by their own harassing comments, and my reply, on their user talk page. They then remove both from their talk page. I guess the light from their own verbal reflection offends them. One can find removed comments by using the history link on a talk page. Inappropriately-applied warning templates, etc.. are also removed from this talk page. Sometimes I remove stuff from my talk page for no particular reason, or for many varied reasons. Removal of comments from my talk page implies nothing. Don't take it personally. Unless I have requested otherwise, feel free to leave new messages on my talk page.
- 1 Top
- 2 Once again, help!!
- 3 Boyd Bushman Entry Deleted
- 4 Van Morrison song
- 5 HEYYYYY MY FRIEND!!!!!! I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN!!!!!!!!
- 6 HI TIME SHIFTER!!! ITS ME AGAIN!!!!!
- 7 New discussion system
- 8 Your submission at Articles for creation: User contrib CentralAuth simple has been accepted
- 9 Another table problem here
- 10 Do you want one Edit tab, or two? It's your choice
- 11 Invitation to chat about interactive maps
- 12 Wikimedia Highlights from March 2016
- 13 This Month in GLAM: May 2016
- 14 Category:CommonsHelper has been nominated for discussion
- 15 Editing News #2—2016
- 16 Seychelles per capita incarceration rate
- 17 Which copyright applies to your User Page, Public Domain or the one in the footer?
- 18 Query
Once again, help!!
I had an image from Flickr from a photographer I just dealt with. He made the mistake of changing his copyright license to a Creative Commons one--but not one we accept. I took his word for it that he removed copyright in favor of Creative Commons, but since I'd just uploaded two of his photos with a correct one we accept, it was my oversight that he made a mistake and I didn't check it. The result of this was that the photo was not accepted in Commons for upload. Fine. But now I can't get the damned thing to upload it now that the license is correct! How RUDE. I've been uploading photos for years- more than any other editor I know of on the en.wikipedia. It is for this photo: . How can I fix this? --Leahtwosaints (talk) 14:38, 16 August 2013 (UTC)
- You have GOT to be the coolest Wikisloth with super-powers that I ever met!! For a Sloth, you sure move at a quick pace!! :) Do you wear a "super cape", I wonder? That would really complete the whole outfit and mystique.. I keep trying to think of things I could maybe do for you since you are such a blessing and a help... Hmmm. Did you ever contact Roger Ebert before his untimely demise? Is there perhaps a photo of someone that I can search for on your behalf? Just say the words. I feel a great debt to you for your help over these years. --Leahtwosaints (talk) 12:00, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
Boyd Bushman Entry Deleted
Timeshifter, would you be able to give your honest opinion regarding the deletion of Boyd's page? I think my suggestions at the discussion are fair and at least his memory as a scientist should be in wiki, regardless of the mention of any alien stuff. --HafizHanif (talk) 20:19, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Not sure if you or someone else is working on reintroducing this entry. I'm also not sure if you've come across this list of patents referencing Bushman's 1996 patent #5542247.
It is interesting how other deleted pages usually have a trail of information, but Boyd's has nothing. I didn't get to read what the final verdict was ( other than obvious deletion ). --HafizHanif (talk) 21:38, 30 November 2014 (UTC)
Van Morrison song
I might have been buzzing through the disambig. page for the Van Morrison/Robbie Robertson song, "Caravan", seen here: Caravan (Van Morrison song) which they played during the filmed final concert "The Last Waltz" - if it's just my need for glasses please forgive me. Hopefully I'll have a computer soon. --Leahtwosaints (talk) 11:10, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
HEYYYYY MY FRIEND!!!!!! I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN!!!!!!!!
first i want to thank you for helping me with the tables , but i have another problem my friend, i geb you:
i want this two tables as they are, one near de other, but located in the center of the page. PLEASE PLEASE MY FRIEND!!! this king of info should be in the table tutorials on wiki. PLease show me the code!!!!Cheposo (talk) 13:30, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
- You are welcome. I copied your question to here: Help talk:Table. I answered there to help others too. --Timeshifter (talk) 18:37, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
HI TIME SHIFTER!!! ITS ME AGAIN!!!!!
HEY TIME SHIFTER MY FRIEND!!!!! THANKS FOR THE HELP. I HAVE ANOTHER REQUEST OF HELP. I WANT TO MAKE THIS TABLE, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE CODE, SO I WENT TO PAINT AND I PAINTED THE TABLE I NEED FOR KEEP WORKING: LOOK AT IT
- You are welcome. I replied here: Help talk:Table. --Timeshifter (talk) 23:46, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
New discussion system
What you saw was Flow.
- The WMF has been eliminating most of their talk pages (user pages and some major mainspace pages), so you're forced to use Flow if you want to contact them to discuss problems with their projects. A particular problem is that they switched over all official contacts points related to Flow itself! That is particular problem for discussing Flow bugs. (Writing about the bug *in* Flow triggers the problem!)
- You've only seen the tip of the iceberg. The list of problems with Flow is 142 feet long. Copy-paste is broken. A simple revert destroyed my original comment. Problems with templates. History is a disaster. The reply-threading turns modest-size discussions into unreadable spaghetti. You can't delete your own comments, much less someone else's. (You "hide" it, which leaves a link for it on the board.) IMO the biggest issue is that Flow does not store an accurate stable copy of what you write! Flow can randomly rewrite your formatting codes and nowikis etc. The way Flow works is kind of like translating your text into Russian, then translating it from Russian back to English when someone views or edits it. Sometimes those bugs can mangle your entire post into garbage during the rewrite. In fact Flow preforms that round-trip translation every time you try to preview what you wrote. So you preview, return to editing your wikitext, and Flow has REWRITTEN your wikitext! It's like editing on quicksand. There's no "truetext", everything Flow shows you is an illusion created on the fly.
- It seems the WMF still wants to eventually get Flow deployed, but the good news is that they've realized that there are serious objections here. They have been *trying* to improve their relations with the community ever since the superprotect incident, with limited success. Putting Flow on hold has been one of the successes. The current official policy is that no Flow pages will be deployed without local consensus requesting it. I think they are hoping the tiny wikis start accepting it, and that eventually all the 'obstructionist-change-averse editors' get dragged along into the wonderful future. BTW there's a doc page where "Admins" and the most "Experienced" editors are defined as the change-averse groups. Lols.
- There used to be 7 Flow pages on EnWiki. Activity has dropped to zero on every board where Flow gets deployed. One board was the Flow testing board: it died and was never fixed after an admin tried testing admin tools on it. I had a pair of abandoned boards deleted at MFD. I have another abandoned board at MFD with unanimous deletes so far. I have an open RFC at a dead wikiproject to roll back Flow - I *think* its passing but running an RFC inside Flow is a disaster. We can't move the discussion posts down to a separate discussion area, it's almost impossible to tell who is replying to who, and it is difficult to figure out which posts are !votes. Anyway, assuming it passes, that will leave us with two dead Flow pages. It's possible that EnWiki will be Flow-free in a month or two. I need to contact some of the other language Wikis with Flow to see if they want to move forward with Flow or start rolling it back. Alsee (talk) 17:28, 24 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Alsee: Thanks for all the info on Flow! I had to look up MFD. I see that it is Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion. Are there any wikis using LiquidThreads still? The WMF or the devs or whoever is in charge (I have no clue), take simple requests for improvement (such as watchlisting sections of talk pages) and then go crazy with complete rewrites of all the code. Same for the request for a WYSIWYG editor. I just wanted a simple WYSIWYG editor that did the simple stuff, and did it in article sections. But they went crazy and created this monster VE that edits the whole page, and tries to do everything the wikitext editor does and more. I just want VE lite for section editing. Bold, italic, links. --Timeshifter (talk) 13:01, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
Your submission at Articles for creation: User contrib CentralAuth simple has been accepted
Another table problem here
TIMESHIFTER MY FRIEND I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN. I WANT TO MODIFY A TABLE TO ADD BETTER INFORMATION BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE
|Equipo de Producción Completo
(Personas y empresas)
|Concepto Original||Yoshiyuki Tomino
|Productores||Hideyuki Tomioka (Sunrise)
Masuo Ueda (Sunrise)
Yoshiaki Koizumi (TV Asahi)
Shinji Takamatsu (No Acreditado)
|Diseño de Personajes||Shuko Murase|
Robots y Máquinas
e Imágenes de Fondo
|Animación||Anime Roman (eps 4, 12, 17)
Seoul Dub (46 episodios)
Studio Dub (46 episodes)
|Director Artístico||Masaru Sato
|Director de Sonido||Yasuo Uragami|
THIS IS WHAT I WANT:
- I have not been editing Wikipedia much lately. Busy with other things. I suggest asking for help at Help talk:Table. --Timeshifter (talk) 05:10, 27 February 2016 (UTC)
Do you want one Edit tab, or two? It's your choice
The editing interface will be changed soon. When that happens, editors who currently see two editing tabs – "Edit" and "Edit source" – will start seeing one edit tab instead. The single edit tab has been popular at other Wikipedias. When this is deployed here, you may be offered the opportunity to choose your preferred appearance and behavior the next time you click the Edit button. You will also be able to change your settings in the Editing section of Special:Preferences.
You can choose one or two edit tabs. If you chose one edit tab, then you can switch between the two editing environments by clicking the buttons in the toolbar (shown in the screenshots). See Help:VisualEditor/User guide#Switching between the visual and wikitext editors for more information and screenshots.
There is more information about this interface change at mw:VisualEditor/Single edit tab. If you have questions, suggestions, or problems to report, then please leave a note at Wikipedia:VisualEditor/Feedback.
Whatamidoing (WMF) 19:22, 11 April 2016 (UTC)
Invitation to chat about interactive maps
Hello, I’m Chris, a community liaison in the Discovery department at the Wikimedia Foundation. One of the projects we’re working on is to bring interactive maps to Wikipedia. If you are interested, I’d like to have an informal conversation with you about your work with WikiProject Maps, and the conventions you all have created. I'd like to learn more about your work and how that might influence the design of interactive maps.
Please let me know of some good times to chat via email and I can setup a meeting for us. I can be reached at ckoernerwikimedia.org.
If you’re not interested, that’s fine. I would appreciate any direction to other editors that have been involved and might be interested.
Wikimedia Highlights from March 2016
- The new alchemy: turning online harassment into Wikipedia articles on women scientists
- New completion suggester helps you find what you need on Wikimedia sites
- Jimmy Wales tells South by Southwest that community is key to Wikipedia’s future
- In brief
This Month in GLAM: May 2016
Category:CommonsHelper has been nominated for discussion
Category:CommonsHelper, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to see if it abides with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. — Music1201 talk 22:54, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
Editing News #2—2016
Editing News #2—2016 Read this in another language • Subscription list for this multilingual newsletter
Since the last newsletter, the VisualEditor team has fixed many bugs. Their workboard is available in Phabricator. Their current priorities are improving support for Arabic and Indic scripts, and adapting the visual editor to the needs of the Wikivoyages and Wikisources.
The visual editor is now available to all users at most Wikivoyages. It was also enabled for all contributors at the French Wikinews.
The single edit tab feature combines the "Edit" and "Edit source" tabs into a single "Edit" tab. It has been deployed to several Wikipedias, including Hungarian, Polish, English and Japanese Wikipedias, as well as to all Wikivoyages. At these wikis, you can change your settings for this feature in the "Editing" tab of Special:Preferences. The team is now reviewing the feedback and considering ways to improve the design before rolling it out to more people.
The "Save page" button will say "Publish page". This will affect both the visual and wikitext editing systems. More information is available on Meta.
The visual editor will be offered to all editors at the remaining "Phase 6" Wikipedias during the next few months. The developers want to know whether typing in your language feels natural in the visual editor. Please post your comments and the language(s) that you tested at the feedback thread on mediawiki.org. This will affect several languages, including: Arabic, Hindi, Thai, Tamil, Marathi, Malayalam, Urdu, Persian, Bengali, Assamese, Aramaic and others.
The team is working with the volunteer developers who power Wikisource to provide the visual editor there, for opt-in testing right now and eventually for all users. (T138966)
The team is working on a modern wikitext editor. It will look like the visual editor, and be able to use the citoid service and other modern tools. This new editing system may become available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices around September 2016. You can read about this project in a general status update on the Wikimedia mailing list.
Let's work together
- Do you teach new editors how to use the visual editor? Did you help set up the Citoid automatic reference feature for your wiki? Have you written or imported TemplateData for your most important citation templates? Would you be willing to help new editors and small communities with the visual editor? Please sign up for the new VisualEditor Community Taskforce.
- Learn how to improve the "automagical" citoid referencing system in the visual editor, by creating Zotero translators for popular sources in your language! Watch the Tech Talk by Sebastian Karcher for more information.
If you aren't reading this in your preferred language, then please help us with translations! Subscribe to the Translators mailing list or contact us directly, so that we can notify you when the next issue is ready. Thank you!
Seychelles per capita incarceration rate
I believe you latest edit on 'List of countries by incarceration rate' is misleading.
Yes, Seychelles currently holds about 23 Somali pirates, but you simply cannot subtract 23 from the 735 prisoners (799 per 100.000).
The incarceration rate of 799 per 100.000 citizens is from 2014. Up until 2006 the incarceration rate was stable 176-205 prisoners per 100.000.
You User page contains 2 different copyright notices:
Final note Return to the table of contents. This user page is in the public domain. You are free to copy any of it anywhere. Edit it there in any way.
Which one actually applies?
- Public domain. Thanks for pointing out the problem. I just updated and clarified the public domain info. Any of my own writing (not copied from Wikipedia articles) on my user pages is in the public domain. You are free to use and edit any of it elsewhere. This public domain notice supersedes the general CC BY-SA notice at the bottom of all Wikipedia pages. --Timeshifter (talk) 03:40, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
Hi, Assuming you're the same Timeshifter from Wikia and shoutwiki cannabis wikis, would you be willing to consider replacing the Wikitravel links with their Wikivoyage counterparts? Wikivoyage is having a bit of a hard time climbing google ranks so that would be a great help (I'm assuming nofollow is disabled on those wikis?). Wikia in particular, being a top 100 site carries some weight. Thanks, Acer (talk) 18:15, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- @Acer: I edit city pages on Wikia only rarely. On Shoutwiki I edit city pages a tiny bit more. Many of the Shoutwiki city pages started off on Wikia. On Shoutwiki when I was editing later city pages I tried to include both Wikitravel and Wikivoyage links. I would never remove working relevant links from Wikia. Feel free to add Wikivoyage links to either wiki. --Timeshifter (talk) 03:51, 25 August 2016 (UTC)