Signpost, Tech News, and Centralized discussion are currently transcluded here in the top section on the right side. See also: User:Timeshifter/Newsletters. It shows another way to transclude some newsletters on a page. See also User:Timeshifter/Centralized discussion. It is a show/hide box.
For more images like the one below see:
User talk here is not archived. Old talk is deleted. Users are allowed to remove anything from their talk pages. See WP:TALK and other wikipedia guidelines/policies. Like Wikipedia articles over time, people change, and there is little point in referring to past stale arguments and discussions.
To keep the discussion in one thread some comments added here are moved to the user talk page of the author. I reply there. I also watchlist that talk page for awhile in order to note when the user there replies. Harassing comments are also sometimes moved off this talk page. Sometimes the original author is offended by their own harassing comments, and my reply, on their user talk page. They then remove both from their talk page. I guess the light from their own verbal reflection offends them. One can find removed comments by using the history link on a talk page. Inappropriately-applied warning templates, etc.. are also removed from this talk page. Sometimes I remove stuff from my talk page for no particular reason, or for many varied reasons. Removal of comments from my talk page implies nothing. Don't take it personally. Unless I have requested otherwise, feel free to leave new messages on my talk page.
- 1 Top
- 2 Once again, help!!
- 3 Boyd Bushman Entry Deleted
- 4 Van Morrison song
- 5 HEYYYYY MY FRIEND!!!!!! I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN!!!!!!!!
- 6 HI TIME SHIFTER!!! ITS ME AGAIN!!!!!
- 7 New discussion system
- 8 Your submission at Articles for creation: User contrib CentralAuth simple has been accepted
- 9 Another table problem here
- 10 Invitation to chat about interactive maps
- 11 Wikimedia Highlights from March 2016
- 12 This Month in GLAM: May 2016
- 13 Which copyright applies to your User Page, Public Domain or the one in the footer?
- 14 Query
- 15 Need your help with this missing Wikipedian-
- 16 "420" collaboration
- 17 Wishlist Survey & cross-wiki watchlist
- 18 Editing News #1—2017
- 19 Nomination for deletion of Template:PRC provinces small imagemap
- 20 2017 Military history WikiProject Coordinator election
Once again, help!!
I had an image from Flickr from a photographer I just dealt with. He made the mistake of changing his copyright license to a Creative Commons one--but not one we accept. I took his word for it that he removed copyright in favor of Creative Commons, but since I'd just uploaded two of his photos with a correct one we accept, it was my oversight that he made a mistake and I didn't check it. The result of this was that the photo was not accepted in Commons for upload. Fine. But now I can't get the damned thing to upload it now that the license is correct! How RUDE. I've been uploading photos for years- more than any other editor I know of on the en.wikipedia. It is for this photo: . How can I fix this? --Leahtwosaints (talk) 14:38, 16 August 2013 (UTC)
- You have GOT to be the coolest Wikisloth with super-powers that I ever met!! For a Sloth, you sure move at a quick pace!! :) Do you wear a "super cape", I wonder? That would really complete the whole outfit and mystique.. I keep trying to think of things I could maybe do for you since you are such a blessing and a help... Hmmm. Did you ever contact Roger Ebert before his untimely demise? Is there perhaps a photo of someone that I can search for on your behalf? Just say the words. I feel a great debt to you for your help over these years. --Leahtwosaints (talk) 12:00, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
Boyd Bushman Entry Deleted
Timeshifter, would you be able to give your honest opinion regarding the deletion of Boyd's page? I think my suggestions at the discussion are fair and at least his memory as a scientist should be in wiki, regardless of the mention of any alien stuff. --HafizHanif (talk) 20:19, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Not sure if you or someone else is working on reintroducing this entry. I'm also not sure if you've come across this list of patents referencing Bushman's 1996 patent #5542247.
It is interesting how other deleted pages usually have a trail of information, but Boyd's has nothing. I didn't get to read what the final verdict was ( other than obvious deletion ). --HafizHanif (talk) 21:38, 30 November 2014 (UTC)
Van Morrison song
I might have been buzzing through the disambig. page for the Van Morrison/Robbie Robertson song, "Caravan", seen here: Caravan (Van Morrison song) which they played during the filmed final concert "The Last Waltz" - if it's just my need for glasses please forgive me. Hopefully I'll have a computer soon. --Leahtwosaints (talk) 11:10, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
HEYYYYY MY FRIEND!!!!!! I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN!!!!!!!!
first i want to thank you for helping me with the tables , but i have another problem my friend, i geb you:
i want this two tables as they are, one near de other, but located in the center of the page. PLEASE PLEASE MY FRIEND!!! this king of info should be in the table tutorials on wiki. PLease show me the code!!!!Cheposo (talk) 13:30, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
- You are welcome. I copied your question to here: Help talk:Table. I answered there to help others too. --Timeshifter (talk) 18:37, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
HI TIME SHIFTER!!! ITS ME AGAIN!!!!!
HEY TIME SHIFTER MY FRIEND!!!!! THANKS FOR THE HELP. I HAVE ANOTHER REQUEST OF HELP. I WANT TO MAKE THIS TABLE, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE CODE, SO I WENT TO PAINT AND I PAINTED THE TABLE I NEED FOR KEEP WORKING: LOOK AT IT
- You are welcome. I replied here: Help talk:Table. --Timeshifter (talk) 23:46, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
New discussion system
What you saw was Flow.
- The WMF has been eliminating most of their talk pages (user pages and some major mainspace pages), so you're forced to use Flow if you want to contact them to discuss problems with their projects. A particular problem is that they switched over all official contacts points related to Flow itself! That is particular problem for discussing Flow bugs. (Writing about the bug *in* Flow triggers the problem!)
- You've only seen the tip of the iceberg. The list of problems with Flow is 142 feet long. Copy-paste is broken. A simple revert destroyed my original comment. Problems with templates. History is a disaster. The reply-threading turns modest-size discussions into unreadable spaghetti. You can't delete your own comments, much less someone else's. (You "hide" it, which leaves a link for it on the board.) IMO the biggest issue is that Flow does not store an accurate stable copy of what you write! Flow can randomly rewrite your formatting codes and nowikis etc. The way Flow works is kind of like translating your text into Russian, then translating it from Russian back to English when someone views or edits it. Sometimes those bugs can mangle your entire post into garbage during the rewrite. In fact Flow preforms that round-trip translation every time you try to preview what you wrote. So you preview, return to editing your wikitext, and Flow has REWRITTEN your wikitext! It's like editing on quicksand. There's no "truetext", everything Flow shows you is an illusion created on the fly.
- It seems the WMF still wants to eventually get Flow deployed, but the good news is that they've realized that there are serious objections here. They have been *trying* to improve their relations with the community ever since the superprotect incident, with limited success. Putting Flow on hold has been one of the successes. The current official policy is that no Flow pages will be deployed without local consensus requesting it. I think they are hoping the tiny wikis start accepting it, and that eventually all the 'obstructionist-change-averse editors' get dragged along into the wonderful future. BTW there's a doc page where "Admins" and the most "Experienced" editors are defined as the change-averse groups. Lols.
- There used to be 7 Flow pages on EnWiki. Activity has dropped to zero on every board where Flow gets deployed. One board was the Flow testing board: it died and was never fixed after an admin tried testing admin tools on it. I had a pair of abandoned boards deleted at MFD. I have another abandoned board at MFD with unanimous deletes so far. I have an open RFC at a dead wikiproject to roll back Flow - I *think* its passing but running an RFC inside Flow is a disaster. We can't move the discussion posts down to a separate discussion area, it's almost impossible to tell who is replying to who, and it is difficult to figure out which posts are !votes. Anyway, assuming it passes, that will leave us with two dead Flow pages. It's possible that EnWiki will be Flow-free in a month or two. I need to contact some of the other language Wikis with Flow to see if they want to move forward with Flow or start rolling it back. Alsee (talk) 17:28, 24 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Alsee: Thanks for all the info on Flow! I had to look up MFD. I see that it is Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion. Are there any wikis using LiquidThreads still? The WMF or the devs or whoever is in charge (I have no clue), take simple requests for improvement (such as watchlisting sections of talk pages) and then go crazy with complete rewrites of all the code. Same for the request for a WYSIWYG editor. I just wanted a simple WYSIWYG editor that did the simple stuff, and did it in article sections. But they went crazy and created this monster VE that edits the whole page, and tries to do everything the wikitext editor does and more. I just want VE lite for section editing. Bold, italic, links. --Timeshifter (talk) 13:01, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
Your submission at Articles for creation: User contrib CentralAuth simple has been accepted
Another table problem here
TIMESHIFTER MY FRIEND I NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN. I WANT TO MODIFY A TABLE TO ADD BETTER INFORMATION BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE
|Equipo de Producción Completo
(Personas y empresas)
|Concepto Original||Yoshiyuki Tomino
|Productores||Hideyuki Tomioka (Sunrise)
Masuo Ueda (Sunrise)
Yoshiaki Koizumi (TV Asahi)
Shinji Takamatsu (No Acreditado)
|Diseño de Personajes||Shuko Murase|
Robots y Máquinas
e Imágenes de Fondo
|Animación||Anime Roman (eps 4, 12, 17)
Seoul Dub (46 episodios)
Studio Dub (46 episodes)
|Director Artístico||Masaru Sato
|Director de Sonido||Yasuo Uragami|
THIS IS WHAT I WANT:
- I have not been editing Wikipedia much lately. Busy with other things. I suggest asking for help at Help talk:Table. --Timeshifter (talk) 05:10, 27 February 2016 (UTC)
Invitation to chat about interactive maps
Hello, I’m Chris, a community liaison in the Discovery department at the Wikimedia Foundation. One of the projects we’re working on is to bring interactive maps to Wikipedia. If you are interested, I’d like to have an informal conversation with you about your work with WikiProject Maps, and the conventions you all have created. I'd like to learn more about your work and how that might influence the design of interactive maps.
Please let me know of some good times to chat via email and I can setup a meeting for us. I can be reached at ckoernerwikimedia.org.
If you’re not interested, that’s fine. I would appreciate any direction to other editors that have been involved and might be interested.
Wikimedia Highlights from March 2016
- The new alchemy: turning online harassment into Wikipedia articles on women scientists
- New completion suggester helps you find what you need on Wikimedia sites
- Jimmy Wales tells South by Southwest that community is key to Wikipedia’s future
- In brief
This Month in GLAM: May 2016
You User page contains 2 different copyright notices:
Final note Return to the table of contents. This user page is in the public domain. You are free to copy any of it anywhere. Edit it there in any way.
Which one actually applies?
- Public domain. Thanks for pointing out the problem. I just updated and clarified the public domain info. Any of my own writing (not copied from Wikipedia articles) on my user pages is in the public domain. You are free to use and edit any of it elsewhere. This public domain notice supersedes the general CC BY-SA notice at the bottom of all Wikipedia pages. --Timeshifter (talk) 03:40, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
Hi, Assuming you're the same Timeshifter from Wikia and shoutwiki cannabis wikis, would you be willing to consider replacing the Wikitravel links with their Wikivoyage counterparts? Wikivoyage is having a bit of a hard time climbing google ranks so that would be a great help (I'm assuming nofollow is disabled on those wikis?). Wikia in particular, being a top 100 site carries some weight. Thanks, Acer (talk) 18:15, 23 August 2016 (UTC)
- @Acer: I edit city pages on Wikia only rarely. On Shoutwiki I edit city pages a tiny bit more. Many of the Shoutwiki city pages started off on Wikia. On Shoutwiki when I was editing later city pages I tried to include both Wikitravel and Wikivoyage links. I would never remove working relevant links from Wikia. Feel free to add Wikivoyage links to either wiki. --Timeshifter (talk) 03:51, 25 August 2016 (UTC)
Need your help with this missing Wikipedian-
Hi, I don't know if there is a procedure to let people know when an editor quits to place a semi-retired placard on their talk page. In the case of Catfish Jim, one of my closest editing friends from the past, his talk page is looking like he's here, when it's just Admin and other bots that deposit info on timed intervals. To my knowledge, he hasn't been working since before I went into a coma three years ago. I think it's March 2012: . I'll leave this to you as an Admin. I'm only doing little edits and am still not healed so, if you don't do something with this, I hope you'll pass it to someone who will. Thanks. --Leahtwosaints (talk) 13:09, 27 November 2016 (UTC)
As a member of WikiProject Cannabis, you are invited to help organize the project's upcoming "420" collaboration, which is scheduled for April 2017. Yes, we're a few months away, but we're hoping to get the ball rolling by getting buy-in from experienced Wikipedia editors and seek help fleshing out some goals and ideas for a successful campaign. We also plan to conduct both on-wiki and offlline outreach so non-Wikipedias can also contribute. If you are interested in participating, please sign up and contribute to the ongoing discussions. All editors are welcome! ---Another Believer (Talk) 16:55, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
Wishlist Survey & cross-wiki watchlist
Hi Timeshifter, You said that you might not see my reply on Meta, so I'll talk to you here. :) I'm on the Community Tech team, and we're still working on the cross-wiki watchlist. As you saw, the cross-wiki watchlist was one of the top requests on the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey, and our team is responsible for working on it. It's still an active project for us. It's held up right now by some changes that we need to make to the database, altering the really huge and scary revision tables. We have to wait for permission and help from the database administrator to make those changes. That's a delay, which is a pain, but once we get that done, we'll keep making progress on the cross-wiki watchlist.
There's another five top wishes from last year's wishlist that we shipped last year, and we're currently working on a few top requests from this year's wishlist -- rewriting Xtools, and warning people after there have been unsuccessful login attempts. I'd be happy to tell you more about our team or the Community Wishlist, if you're interested. Let me know. -- DannyH (WMF) (talk) 23:42, 9 February 2017 (UTC)
Editing News #1—2017
Since the last newsletter, the VisualEditor Team has spent most of their time supporting the 2017 wikitext editor mode which is available inside the visual editor as a Beta Feature, and adding the new visual diff tool. Their workboard is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, supporting the 2017 wikitext editor as a beta feature, and improving the visual diff tool.
A new wikitext editing mode is available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices. The 2017 wikitext editor has the same toolbar as the visual editor and can use the citoid service and other modern tools. Go to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures to enable the New wikitext mode.
A new visual diff tool is available in VisualEditor's visual mode. You can toggle between wikitext and visual diffs. More features will be added to this later. In the future, this tool may be integrated into other MediaWiki components. 
The team have added multi-column support for lists of footnotes. The
<references /> block can automatically display long lists of references in columns on wide screens. This makes footnotes easier to read. You can request multi-column support for your wiki. 
- The way to switch between the visual editing mode and the wikitext editing mode is now consistent. There is a drop-down menu that shows the two options. This is now the same in desktop and mobile web editing, and inside things that embed editing, such as Flow. 
- The Categories item has been moved to the top of the Page options menu (from clicking on the icon) for quicker access.  There is also now a "Templates used on this page" feature there. 
- You can now create
<chem>tags (sometimes used as
<ce>) for chemical formulas inside the visual editor. 
- Tables can be set as collapsed or un-collapsed. 
- The Special character menu now includes characters for Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics and angle quotation marks (‹› and ⟨⟩) . The team thanks the volunteer developer, Tpt. 
- A bug caused some section edit conflicts to blank the rest of the page. This has been fixed. The team are sorry for the disruption. 
- There is a new keyboard shortcut for citations:
Kon a PC, or
Kon a Mac. It is based on the keyboard shortcut for making links, which is
Kon a PC or
Kon a Mac. 
- The VisualEditor team is working with the Community Tech team on a syntax highlighting tool. It will highlight matching pairs of
<ref>tags and other types of wikitext syntax. You will be able to turn it on and off. It will first become available in VisualEditor's built-in wikitext mode, maybe late in 2017. 
- The kind of button used to Show preview, Show changes, and finish an edit will change in all WMF-supported wikitext editors. The new buttons will use OOjs UI. The buttons will be larger, brighter, and easier to read. The labels will remain the same. You can test the new button by editing a page and adding
&ooui=1to the end of the URL, like this: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Sandbox?action=edit&ooui=1 The old appearance will no longer be possible, even with local CSS changes. 
- The outdated 2006 wikitext editor will be removed later this year. It is used by approximately 0.03% of active editors. See a list of editing tools on mediawiki.org if you are uncertain which one you use. 
If you aren't reading this in your preferred language, then please help us with translations! Subscribe to the Translators mailing list or contact us directly, so that we can notify you when the next issue is ready. Thank you! User:Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 19:18, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
Nomination for deletion of Template:PRC provinces small imagemap
Template:PRC provinces small imagemap has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Frietjes (talk) 13:43, 15 August 2017 (UTC)
2017 Military history WikiProject Coordinator election
Greetings from the Military history WikiProject! Elections for the Military history WikiProject Coordinators are currently underway. As a member of the WikiProject you are cordially invited to take part by casting your vote(s) for the candidates on the election page. This year's election will conclude at 23:59 UTC 29 September. Thank you for your time. For the current tranche of Coordinators, AustralianRupert (talk) 10:39, 21 September 2017 (UTC)