User talk:Ugog Nizdast
|Welcome to my talk page.
|Threads older than 45 days may be archived by.|Feel free to post here, especially if I made any mistakes. I am not experienced enough here and one never stops learning. Need some help with anything or perhaps an article? I generally am lazy and slow in my contributions but with a little prodding or help, I'll get encouraged to work on it. 05:56, 6 August 2017 (UTC)
- 1 Thanks
- 2 History of Pune
- 3 Invitation to join the Wikipedia:WikiProject Military history/Incubator/Indian military history
- 4 Wiki Loves Indian defence services
- 5 Conflict of Interest and ETHICAL collaborative behavior
- 6 HDI Kerala
- 7 mediation
- 8 Assesment
- 9 Editing News #1—2017
- 10 My friend ClueBot
Thank you for noticing that someone had removed all the instructions on Third Opinion and correcting it! I made two intermediate edits and didn't notice so I'm feeling a bit sheepish! Anyway, thanks again. -=Troop=- (talk) 13:51, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- Not a problem at all, I've been watching it for long and besides me there are quite a few WP:3O longtime members, baffled me that none of them noticed that. :) Ugog Nizdast (talk) 15:32, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
History of Pune
Hello Ugog, Please help in moving this article from Start class to C or B.It is not ready for GA yet but if you like you can help with Peer review process to bring attention to shortcomings in the article. Thanks Jonathansammy (talk) 18:29, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- Would be happy to review it for you but note that I've been not very active as of late so will take time to begin. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 15:35, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
@Jonathansammy: This job and other works were things I intended to finish before going on my break; unfortunately, my real life responsibilities demand that this break cannot be pushed aside anymore. Will be taking my break soon now and would recommend you taking it to WP:PR if interested in still getting more 3rd party input; at the least, doing this will increase your chances of that. My break will likely be very long so don't rely on waiting for me to come back and finish it (though I hate to leave a job half done, I'll love to resume that once I come back). Best wishes, Ugog Nizdast (talk) 04:43, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
- Best of luck, Ugog, and hope to see you back soon. Vanamonde (talk) 04:48, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks, Ugog.Enjoy your break.I appreciate all the help you provided on the article.Best regardsJonathansammy (talk) 12:19, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
Invitation to join the Wikipedia:WikiProject Military history/Incubator/Indian military history
You are invited to join the Indian military history work-group, an initiative of the Military history WikiProject. This group is to exclusively deal with the topics related to Indian military. If you're interested, please add you name to the participants list. Ignore if you are already a member. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:06, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Indian defence services
Conflict of Interest and ETHICAL collaborative behavior
|Ignoring post by Being.human 13:10, 7 April 2017 (UTC), after trying to help them on their talk page|
1. I noticed you have kept and defended dubious unscholary sources on that systematically introduce, rewrite and and legitimzie OPINION PRIMARY RESEARCH based unpublished (paid publishing) POV work such as I highlighted on Birbal. With due regard to right to privacy and benefit of doubt, yet to avoid any CONFLICT OF INTEREST, may I know if you are a MUSLIM (reason to defend and game the system)? As a self-disclosure, I am atheist, Im a scientist. I want to see NEUTRAL, INDEPENDENT, PEER REVIEWED SCHOALRY WORK and not junk being introduced.
2. Are you and user Drumutt are one and same person, two accounts used by same person (same IP address?), or two people working as buddies to game the system including introducing and legitimizing POV and then running off anyone who points it out with warnings? I am NOT YET accusing, apologies if what I am wondering is incorrect but I have to get to the bottom of it. I will not let Birbal POV vandalized biased subvious edits remain there, i have followed the due process of benefit of doubt to the edits then i read the text referenced, i identified th biased musliims PRIMARY RESEARCH POV been incorrectly and misleadingly attributed to a Hindu meenakhis while it in fact is UNSCHALRY NON-PEER-reviewed non-acceptable (not in the index of acceptable and respected publication) work of CM NAIM of either self-published or paid-published type of obscure publication.
Please work with me collaboratively. Remove the biased POV from Birbal. happy to work with you amicably in future but pls follow the due process and rule book you showed me. No gaming from you or me. lets keep ti clean and NEUTRAL.I AM NOT GIVING UP on birbal until POV is removed. no nee to waste too much time to make it happen. Being.human (talk) 13:10, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- Note: further reverted further such related posts by them today. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 19:43, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
- @Jojo7727644it: Still hard to verify. Assuming you've seen Talk:Kerala#HDI, I've further posted your reference and commented on it there. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 07:08, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Elie plus: Isn't the instructions clear at Wikipedia:Third opinion#How to list a dispute or can it be improved? If I missed there being a page where the discussion has taken place, feel free to add it back. I usually leave a notification in unclear and not straightforward cases. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 09:45, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
I will not add it back I will leave it to other users with more time on their hands to watch the editing pattern of the said user unfold and take the appropriate measures. I will not comment on whether the instructions were clear or not but I will only say that back in the day people at least had the common courtesy of notifying parties of whatever actions they were about to do. have a nice day ~ Elias Z. (talkallam) 11:07, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
With the bifurcation of Bardhaman district in West Bengal on 7 April 2017, I have helped in developing two articles - Purba Bardhaman district and Paschim Bardhaman district. Both the articles were initially marked Stub, and now require reassessment. Kindly help. I am particularly keen on taking the Purba Bardhaman district article to that of a Good Article. Advice in this regard is most welcome. Cheers. - Chandan Guha (talk) 12:06, 28 April 2017 (UTC)
- I'm looking at it now, but my time is limited for editing these days...so can't do an in-depth review. WIll report here, stay tuned. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 13:31, 29 April 2017 (UTC)
Here's what I've found:
- In general for both:
- History, Etymology pertinence: This is probably the main possible issue I've found in terms of content. Both detail almost the same general history about Bardhaman district. They're mainly repeating content, WP:CFORK comes to mind here. Since both article pertain to just the recently created districts, their history doesn't go beyond that strictly speaking. It has to be just in one place where it can be covered in detail and that should be the older undivided district article--assuming this area covers just this district and no other place. You know better, I'm unfamiliar with it.
- Both the lead sections can be expanded per WP:LEADLENGTH: two or maybe even three paras enough.
- Purba Bardhaman district
- Can some of the captions have links to the various subjects shown?
- Excess low-level headers (====Katwa subdivision==== etc), just use regular list syntax. Headers needed only for, at minimum, multiple moderate sized-paras; not such stubby portions.
- Fauna section no relevant links as compared to the others
- Paschim Bardhaman district
- Many thanks for the suggestions. I have already started working on them and will be working further. Cheers. - Chandan Guha (talk) 00:55, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- I have tried to improve as much as possible. Please have a look. Cheers. - Chandan Guha (talk) 04:49, 14 May 2017 (UTC)
- Both are definitely C, but for B would need some work and moreover, I can't give it that detailed review now. What I highlighted above in my point "*In general for both:" would be something to focus on. I think the problem here is that both these articles have a quite limited WP:SCOPE, being districts (they're usually more administrative, less covered by sources, less distinct culturally etc than a city or a state) and even worse, they're recently created. The most important sections would be those which make it differ from the main old article and relevant to its recent history; so even the newly added "Literary traditions" mainly talks about historical figures referring to the old main region like the History section. Thus it should just cover the content related to administration (Demographics, Divisions, Geography) provided they're specific to only the newly formed districts and distinct to each of them.
- I made it C but you can too, anything lower than A class can be self-assessed (WP:ASSESS) and don't need a formal review. Be sure to remove the
|reassess=ypart when done. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 03:42, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
- I have tried to improve as much as possible. Please have a look. Cheers. - Chandan Guha (talk) 04:49, 14 May 2017 (UTC)
Editing News #1—2017
Since the last newsletter, the VisualEditor Team has spent most of their time supporting the 2017 wikitext editor mode which is available inside the visual editor as a Beta Feature, and adding the new visual diff tool. Their workboard is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, supporting the 2017 wikitext editor as a beta feature, and improving the visual diff tool.
A new wikitext editing mode is available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices. The 2017 wikitext editor has the same toolbar as the visual editor and can use the citoid service and other modern tools. Go to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures to enable the New wikitext mode.
A new visual diff tool is available in VisualEditor's visual mode. You can toggle between wikitext and visual diffs. More features will be added to this later. In the future, this tool may be integrated into other MediaWiki components. 
The team have added multi-column support for lists of footnotes. The
<references /> block can automatically display long lists of references in columns on wide screens. This makes footnotes easier to read. You can request multi-column support for your wiki. 
- The way to switch between the visual editing mode and the wikitext editing mode is now consistent. There is a drop-down menu that shows the two options. This is now the same in desktop and mobile web editing, and inside things that embed editing, such as Flow. 
- The Categories item has been moved to the top of the Page options menu (from clicking on the icon) for quicker access.  There is also now a "Templates used on this page" feature there. 
- You can now create
<chem>tags (sometimes used as
<ce>) for chemical formulas inside the visual editor. 
- Tables can be set as collapsed or un-collapsed. 
- The Special character menu now includes characters for Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics and angle quotation marks (‹› and ⟨⟩) . The team thanks the volunteer developer, Tpt. 
- A bug caused some section edit conflicts to blank the rest of the page. This has been fixed. The team are sorry for the disruption. 
- There is a new keyboard shortcut for citations:
Kon a PC, or
Kon a Mac. It is based on the keyboard shortcut for making links, which is
Kon a PC or
Kon a Mac. 
- The VisualEditor team is working with the Community Tech team on a syntax highlighting tool. It will highlight matching pairs of
<ref>tags and other types of wikitext syntax. You will be able to turn it on and off. It will first become available in VisualEditor's built-in wikitext mode, maybe late in 2017. 
- The kind of button used to Show preview, Show changes, and finish an edit will change in all WMF-supported wikitext editors. The new buttons will use OOjs UI. The buttons will be larger, brighter, and easier to read. The labels will remain the same. You can test the new button by editing a page and adding
&ooui=1to the end of the URL, like this: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Sandbox?action=edit&ooui=1 The old appearance will no longer be possible, even with local CSS changes. 
- The outdated 2006 wikitext editor will be removed later this year. It is used by approximately 0.03% of active editors. See a list of editing tools on mediawiki.org if you are uncertain which one you use. 
If you aren't reading this in your preferred language, then please help us with translations! Subscribe to the Translators mailing list or contact us directly, so that we can notify you when the next issue is ready. Thank you! User:Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 19:18, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
My friend ClueBot
Hi Joel, Recently, my friend usernamekiran(talk) 23:48, 11 May 2017 (UTC)made a mistake. I reinstated the mistakenly reverted edit. I also told Clue's legal gaurdian about his recent misdid. What happens next? Do you have any idea? I mean, would his parent/gaurdian contact me? Kindly ping me if you reply. —
- Hey there Usernamekiran, It looks like your issue has been resolved and explained nicely by Mz7 regarding filing that false positive thingy etc?
- Oh don't get me started on Cluebot NG, both of us have had an history. Ugog Nizdast (talk) 04:27, 12 May 2017 (UTC)
- oh! So finally you n Clue got on good terms! I never got on bad terms with him. We became good friends as soon as we met. —usernamekiran(talk) 04:34, 12 May 2017 (UTC)