|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
- 1 Award
- 2 Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections January 2006/Vote/Mindspillage
- 3 ascomycin
- 4 Alternative pleading
- 5 SimonP
- 6 Homopolar generator
- 7 Thanks
- 8 Indian COTW
- 9 Intelligent agent
- 10 Image:Indian Education Five Year Plan Expenditure.png
- 11 FAC
- 12 Greetings
- 13 India COTW
- 14 moving a category's edit history
- 15 Articles for deletion/Bhoot
- 16 Thank you!
- 17 My RfA
- 18 INCOTW
- 19 Hindi Grammar
- 20 Please look at this page
- 21 Junior Cert appeals
- 22 Michael Duck
- 23 Clean-up
- 24 Our RfAs
- 25 Request,Nomination for removal Khalistan article
- 26 Peer review Kolkata
- 27 DaGizza's RfA
- 28 User:MrWiddim
- 29 User:Aniljay
- 30 Hai
- 31 IRC for India: #wikipedia-in
- 32 Thank you
- 33 Help Needed
- 34 सरदार पटेल विद्यालय
- 35 A favor please
- 36 My RFA
- 37 Hey Bro what is happening with Moderator3000 making all the changes on the article on Khatri
- 38 Thanks
- 39 Thanks
- 40 Invitation and Recommendations for writing articles on Hindi Wikipedia
- 41 Butler
- 42 malayalam wikipedia
- 43 my userpage
- 44 Do these schools deserve articles on wikipedia?
|The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar|
|To Utkarsh for tirelessly welcoming newcomers like me with handy hints to get familiar with wikipedia not to mention extremely useful tools on his userpage. You Rock!!! Srikeit 08:18, 21 February 2006 (UTC)|
(AbuAmir) thank you for revisions on ASCOMYCIN. I am new here, and it is like having a bigbrother's help. I retain what you made. But of course I shall repair any substantial arrors you might introduce. Your format is good. I shall learn.
The only thing that is to be sorry about, is that you started your edit before I could save mine, and something got lost. ("collision"). Nevwr mind. AbuAmir
The correct place to request deletion of this article is Wikipedia:Requested moves. utcursch | talk 08:27, 9 January 2006 (UTC)
- The CSD process states that it's acceptable for this type of deletion. "Making room for a page move that is non-controversial or is consensual, for instance reversing a redirect, or removing a disambig page that only points to a single article." - theres no reason why this should be controversial, so I stand by the CSD unless you have objections. - Triona 08:33, 9 January 2006 (UTC)
- Don't worry I see you are working on it, thanks. --Martyman-(talk) 10:15, 13 January 2006 (UTC)
Hey Utkarshraj, thanks for the kindness of the banster. Well, you may have heard what God said - "I help those who help themselves". If we won't take care of our bucket who else would care! :-) Do let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks & Cheers! --ΜιĿːtalk 10:28, 13 January 2006 (UTC)
Hi, could you please tell me the source of the pics you added. I'd like to read more about them. --moxon 05:11, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks, I've actually looked at the book in out library about a month ago. I'll have another look :-) --moxon 18:32, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
I saw that you had uploaded this pic. Can you tell me some online sources with reference to implementation of the Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles and Fundamental Duties of India or maybe you could upload them yourself. This would help the article get FA status.--May the Force be with you! Shreshth91($ |-| r 3 $ |-| t |-|) 15:03, 20 January 2006 (UTC)
Hi Utcursch, I wanted to let you know that an article I've worked a lot on recently, the Political integration of India is now FAC. I hope you will have some time to consider the work and give it an up or down vote. Please don't consider this soliciting - I'm requesting your participation. Thanks! Rama's Arrow 04:36, 24 January 2006 (UTC)
hey who r u iwant 2know more abt u send me in mail firstname.lastname@example.org
moving a category's edit history
I don't mind deletion of an empty category, but would it be possible to maintain the edit-history of category: Atlanta FM radio stations by moving it to the current category: Atlanta FM stations? –radiojon 08:59, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
- There is not much use of maintaining the category history, because the one who categorized a particular article can be known from that article's history. utcursch | talk 11:19, 3 February 2006 (UTC)
Articles for deletion/Bhoot
Thank you very much for your support during my recent Admin election, I appreciate the trust that you have put in me. Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding my work as an admin.
Kind Regards, Elf-friend 07:29, 17 February 2006 (UTC)
request for adminship passed with a final result of 78/2/0. Hopefully I will live up to everyone's expectations. Please ask if I can ever help out with anything in the future.
Martyman - 09:27, 20 February 2006 (UTC)
Thank you for the Barnstar!Cygnus_hansa 01:27, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
Please look at this page
If you are a supporter of Don Bosco, take a look at this page.
Junior Cert appeals
Well, I was comfortable with the edit I made until you pointed it out. I somehow feel if I were to add the appeals topic to the State Examinations Commission article it would feel very out of place, as it is a very small article.
What's your opinion?
Thanks for catching my incorrect tagging of this article. A daft mistake on my part. Kcordina 09:08, 9 March 2006 (UTC)
I've done some work on All India Football Federation. Since you were the one who first added the Clean-up tag to it, can you please have a look and see if that can go now. Thank you. -Aabha (talk) 06:44, 11 March 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks. Yeah, you could say my life runs around football:) Thanks for the link to the notice board, hope to be useful. I would love to contribute to sports-related content. -Aabha (talk) 07:51, 13 March 2006 (UTC)
|Thanks for your support on my recent RfA, which I am pleased to say passed with a final tally of 80/1/1. If you ever need any help, or if I mess something up as an admin, please let me know.
Request,Nomination for removal Khalistan article
Hello Sir I'm nominating this page for deletion because it is written with a point of view , excessive use of unreliable sources.and the title "Khalistan" is wrong for the topic because "Khalistan" does not exist,lack of support from resident Punjabi's and Sikhs in India, but there was a "Movement for Khalistan" and that is the right title for the topic, and i think this whole article "a new name" should be rewritten with the help of people from sikh community "in" India and other Indians, because this topic is related to politics/people of India.We all should understand Khalistan is not a political entity and having a article is not justified, Microsoft Encarta and Britannic encyclopedia don't have an article known as "Khalistan" but they do have articles on the movement that took place decades back, and i think there are also copyright issues involved with this article because big parts of this article are written on other peoples research. Many reliable sources are used to show "one side" of their view on the topic, there are also indications that organisations banned by US and EU are involved in providing their research on the movement.I am a strong supporter to have a stub on this topic , but im afraid that such articles on wikipedia have become mouthpieces for organisation which are known for disrupting peace (assassination of one of india's prime minister, twin bomb blast in New Delhi on the eve of Diwali) in Indian sub continent. This article requires your attention , please help. Anmol.2k4 18:28, 24 March 2006 (UTC)
Peer review Kolkata
Hi Utcursch/archive4, thank you for supporting me in my RfA which passed with a tally of (93/1/2). If you need any help or wish discuss something with me, you are always welcome to talk to me. GizzaChat © 12:01, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for your help. How do I create my talk page? On my userpage there is a message from another wikipeadian. Unfortunately, there is not talk page link associated with his username. How do I communicate with him. I am a just-joined wikipeadian.
Aniljay 04:57, 30 March 2006
Thank you for the info. It was so kind of you to clarify. I forsee difficulty in cracking the ways of wiki in future also, and would certainly rush to you for help. Aniljay 12:56, 30 March 2006 (UTC)
IRC for India: #wikipedia-in
|Thanks for your support in my RFA. The final vote count was (88/3/1), so I am now an administrator. Please let me know if at any stage you require assistance, or if you have comments on how I am doing as an administrator. Once again thank you and with kind regards Gryffindor 18:36, 2 April 2006 (UTC)|
1. If you could help to move contents of Navsari district to Navsari (city) page. I could do it by copy and paste, but I would rather leave it to your expertise. Most of the contents in Navsari district is relevant for Navsari (city). 2. Similarly, someone has entered details of Rajawadi area into Vidyavihar. As per the postal codes, Rajawadi area is part of Ghatkopar. Vidyavihar developed after Somaiya College came into existence. Npindia 06:26, 7 April 2006 (UTC)
सरदार पटेल विद्यालय
A favor please
Hello friend, do you remember me? In the month of September 2005, your vote had made me an administrator. we all know that the life here is exciting and full of challenges. I would request you to please spare fem moments for me, and favor me with your comments and suggestions (here please) on my performance as a wikipedian. Let us continue to build the Better than the Best global encyclopedia. Thank you and regards. --Bhadani 10:31, 29 April 2006 (UTC)
|Hello Utcursch/archive4, and thanks for supporting me on my recent request for adminship! It has succeeded with an unanimous support of 67 votes, so that I am now an administrator. Please feel free to leave a note on my talk page should you wish to leave any comments or ask for any help. Again, thanks a lot, AndyZ t 21:48, 5 May 2006 (UTC)|
Hey Bro what is happening with Moderator3000 making all the changes on the article on Khatri
Recently I made two changes to the article - I corrected the link to Seth family name and I added that Walias are also known as Ahluwalias , he reverted them. I also added an internal link to Walia - gone with the reversion! Is he trying to vandalise the page???
Thanks for sending me the links.Holywarrior 15:34, 23 May 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for sending me the links.I needed them.Holywarrior 15:35, 23 May 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for showing friendly attitudes.I like editing India related articles.ThnxWmnnzzr 06:18, 29 May 2006 (UTC)
Invitation and Recommendations for writing articles on Hindi Wikipedia
Hindi wikipedia invites and welcomes Wikipedians to contribute for the cause of spreading knowledge and the Hindi language. This page contains guidelines for writing a wiki-article on any topic at the Hindi Wikipedia, with special recommendations for writing in Hindi (Note: The script/font-family for Hindi is Devanāgari; the script/font-system for English is Roman script, also, the Hindi spelling system is not completely standardized). This article is yet in English language (mostly), in order to encourage even non-native/foreign people who have learnt/are learning Hindi to contribute to the Hindi wikipedia, and native Hindi speakers who normally write in English. The examples given below are only for explanation.
- Firstly for proper viewing, it is recommended to keep all links NOT-UNDERLINED. Otherwise the मात्रा below the Hindi alphabets might get partly hidden behind the underlines. For this, please go to My Preferences (मेरी पसंद) at the top of the page, then click Misc., and then choose "underline links -> Never". Save your settings. Also, do not click yes for "justify paragraphs", otherwise on some browsers, the devanagari script will appear highly distorted.
- All users are requested and encouraged to contribute articles here, especially, to create new articles on general topics. They are also encouraged to expand the existing articles, and improve upon them. A non-user can also do the same; it is recommended but not required to register yourself as a wikipedian user at the Hindi wikipedia. As far as possible, each article should be written with a Neutral Point of View (NPOV)—no nationalistic or partiality or hatred based articles are welcome. The articles should be based on facts—and appropriate references should be provided as and where needed. See the English wiki's help page for editing in general. Almost all the general wiki-features are available for editing on Hindi wiki too. Guidelines for the content matter is mostly the same as given in English wiki.
- Since the Hindi wiki is at its initial stages, users are welcome to take introduction and basic points from the English (or another) wikipedia's corresponding article and translate them for small articles. An in-page link to the English wiki's article will be deemed sufficient for references (a template might be created stating this). For longer articles, it is recommended to mention the references separately.
- Since most computer users in India and elsewhere have the standard Western-type keyboard, it is best recommended (but not necessarily required) to use the virtual (software) keyboard like the one of Hindimozhi or of ISIS (Tavultesoft Keyman)—which are freewares. These are advantageous because the contemporary Hindi-speakers in India often write messages/chat using Hindi words but written in Roman (English) script, and the layout of these keyboards is quite the same that such people use. For example, using the "normal" keyboard with this software, typing ga would give ग and ghaa would give घा.
- Create the article with its name written in Hindi (devanagari script). Always take care to include the nukta (dot below) for foreign / Urdu loanwords wherever it occurs in the standard spelling. For non-Indian names, use that spelling (for article name and other words) which is commonly encountered in Hindi newspapers, G.K.-books, Hindi-dubbed TV documentaries and Hollywood films and magazines. e.g., America-अमरीका (या अमेरिका), China-चीन, French-फ़्रांसिसी. For English acronyms/short-forms, use the initials in Roman script, and again create a full form in Hindi and redirect it to the short form. e.g. IPA (अन्तर्राष्ट्रीय ध्वनि वर्णाक्षर); UNO (संयुक्त राष्ट्र संघ). Doing the opposite is also fine. But creating the article with the Hindi short form, as सं०रा०सं०, is not recommended. Also, the article proper must be written with the proper nukta, as फ़ारसी, and then, a non-nukta (mis-)spelt version फारसी should preferably be created to redirect to the correct spelling.
- Hindi wikipedia strongly recommends the users to write articles in everyday common Hindi in the खड़ीबोली dialect (Hindustani or Hindi-Urdu, i.e., बोलचाल वाली हिन्दी, which may include many loanwords from Persian and Arabic). The use of शुद्ध संस्कृतनिष्ठ हिन्दी is in general neither required nor recommended. E.g., use: वजह instead of कारण, ख़ास instead of विशेष, वगैरह instead of इत्यादि, लेकिन instead of परन्तु etc. However, for technical and specialized vocabulary, the use of शुद्ध संस्कृतनिष्ठ हिन्दी is recommended and usually mandatory. Thus: upper House of Parliament—संसद का उच्च सदन, but not Urdu—मजिलिस का ऐवान-ए-बाला ; Foreign Minister—विदेशमन्त्री, but not Urdu—वज़ीर-ए-ख़ारिजा ; knowledge/science—ज्ञान/विज्ञान, but not इल्म. Use spoken Hindi's ये and वो instead of यह and वह / वे. Do not use the title of respect जी after names, it is unencyclopedic. Thus: कृष्ण / श्री कृष्ण but not कृष्ण जी. Use the आप form and its corresponding 3rd person verbal conjugation for writing about respectable persons. Thus: श्री वाजपेयी मध्य प्रदेश में जन्मे थे. But not: वाजपेयी मध्य प्रदेश में जन्मा था. But do not use the pronoun "आप" itself in-text in biographies.
- English should be used sparingly, only when required; i.e., if the corresponding शुद्ध हिन्दी word is too "difficult and not generally encountered", or if it is a proper name of non-Indian person/place/terminology/title, or if the user is highly unsure of the proper translation. It is recommended (but not required) for English-to-Hindi translation while writing articles, the Shabdkosh online dictionary should be used. For each English word, that alternative should be used which is generally encountered in everyday spoken Hindi, and also fits well into the context. Use of intelligent guesses for newly encountered words is also allowed, and so are translations encountered in Hindi-dubbed TV documentaries, Hollywood films, Hindi-translated books, etc. e.g., दमपिशाच for en:Dementor (used in dubbed HP films).
- If used, it is recommended to use the English words within the articles using the English (Roman) alphabets rather than devanagari (or better, the devanagari transliteration should be used in the sentence, followed by the English word in Roman alphabet in parentheses). Such words should be italicized and not put in quotation marks. Preferably, there should be an in-page interwiki link (like :en:) on the word to the English wikipedia. If the word comes as an integral part of a sentence, so as not to break the continuity, the en: prefix should be hidden by writing the word again after the pipe sign (piped link). Thus, recommended:
हैरी पॉटर ने ''[[:en:Pensieve|Pensieve]]'' के अन्दर ''[[:en:Little Hangleton|Little Hangleton]]'' गाँव में लॉर्ड वोल्डेमॉर्ट की माँ ''[[:en:Merope Gaunt|Merope Gaunt]]'' को देखा. ''[[:en:Resplendent Quetzal|Resplendent Quetzal]]'' पक्षी के ऊपर एक मेक्सिकन पादरी डा० ''[[:en:Pablo de la Llave|Pablo de la Llave]]'' ने काफ़ी शोध किया था.Whence,
- Always start the first 1 or 2 lines of the article giving its definition (from any standard dictionary/other wiki) or suitable introduction. Thus, recommended: ललिता सहस्रनामन हिन्दू धर्मसुधारक आदि शंकराचार्य द्वारा रचित देवी दुर्गा को समर्पित एक पूजा-मन्त्र है, जिसे कई हिन्दू रोज़ श्रद्धा से जपते हैं । But not: ललिता सहस्रनामन मन्त्र जपने के लिये लड्डू-पेड़ा, ताम्बुल, सिन्दूर, लाल चुनरी के साथ नित्य इस मन्त्र का पाठ करें, तो जल्द ही गड़ा हुआ ख़जाना मिलेगा । Recommended: वैमानिक अभियान्त्रिकी (en:Aeronautical engineering) विमानों (en:Aircrafts) की अभिकल्पना, निर्माण और प्रचालन करने का विज्ञान, कला और कार्य है । (translated from Eng. Webster's New World Dictionary). But not: आजकल वैमानिक अभियान्त्रिकी के लिये देशभर में कई कॉलेज खुल गये हैं, जिनमें अग्रणी स्थान यूटोपिया स्थित लालू-यादव टेक्लिनक कॉलेज का है ।
- For names of countries, cities, places, languages, people, books, films, technical vocabulary, mythology, etc, start the article like this:
The name in bold ('''अपोलो''')
starting parenthesis, then English name in Roman script, in-page interwiki-linked to English wiki ff. by semicolon ((अंग्रेज़ी : [[:en:Apollo]];)
The native name(s) if applicable in the italicized native script, preferably followed either by its italicized approximate Hindi pronunciation or non-italicizedphonological transcription
within / /, ff. by closed parenthesis (यूनानी : ''Aπollων अपोल्लोन''))
the rest of the definition or introduction (प्राचीन [[यूनानी धर्म]] (ग्रीक धर्म) और प्राचीन [[रोमन धर्म]] के सर्वोच्च देवता थे ।)For country names, only the standard short form of the name is needed in the first line. If there is a common name for a difficult word in Hindustani, also mention it. Whence: अपोलो (अंग्रेज़ी : en:Apollo; यूनानी : Aπollων अपोल्लोन) प्राचीन यूनानी धर्म (ग्रीक धर्म) और प्राचीन रोमन धर्म के सर्वोच्च देवता थे । If you don't give the interwiki English/another language link (which would be deemed to be the default reference), then you MUST provide an appropriate reference.
- Please leave no article without an appropriate category. See the list of created categories here; you can also make a new category (pref. in Hindi). Please leave no article without at least ONE off page (like en:) interwiki link. E.g., the user can check the article name (say Apollo) on the finally redirected English page and append to the Hindi article (
[[en:Appolo]])). These interlanguage links will help a bot to update all interwiki links for that article in all wikipedias. The category and the aforementioned link should be typed at the end of the article. If the article is very small, mention it as a stub/substub.
- Use of templates is welcome. See the list of templates here. If creating a template, name it pref. in Hindi.
- Use पूर्णविराम ( । ) instead of a period (.) for ending statements. The पूर्णविराम, semicolon, colon and dash (but not comma) must come after one space after the word to prevent ambiguity. Use the international form of the Hindu-Arabic numerals (1,2,3 instead of १,२,३), as used by the Constitution and the Government of India (even for Hindi). There is no need to use the हलन्त at the end of Sanskrit words wherever it occurs. Hence, prefer: संसद over संसद्; अथर्वन over अथर्वन्. Use the proper quotation marks “” from the Insert toolbox, not "". Write dates as 2 मई 2006 (ईसवी or ईसापूर्व). Write time as 3:45 pm. Separate common suffix-words like शास्त्र, विज्ञान, ज्ञान with a hyphen. Thus: रसायन-शास्त्र. For most others, leave both the words of the noun-cluster free. Combine them into one word only if it is very common to do so. Thus: सामवेद.
- The use of ज़ for the en:voiced alveolar fricative (/z/, as in zoo, rose) is fundamentally wrong. Its nearest counterpart is the en:voiceless alveolar fricative /s/ (as in sea), and not Hindi ज (en:voiced palatal plosive). Hence, it is suggested and recommended that for the sound /z/, whether it comes in English (etc.) spellings (z) for while pronunciation otherwise, should be transcribed as स़ (स with a dot below, available in the Insert toolbox). Hence: Reason रीस़न, not रीज़न ; Roses रोस़ेस़, not रोज़ेज़. But common Hindi words borrowed from Persian/Arabic (so-called Urdu words) are allowed to continue with ज़ spelling. Thus: ज़रा, नज़र, तर्ज़. The en:voiced postalveolar fricative (/ʒ/ as in treasure), inexistent in Hindi, can similarly be transcribed with श़. Thus: treasure ट्रॅश़र. The nukta (dot) available in the Insert toolbox can be combined with various consonants to suggest a more exact phonetic devanagari rendering of foreign sounds. E.g., since phonetically, English Think and this are not equal to थिंक and दिस, a better transcription could be थ़िंक and द़िस. Please take care of the dot below in so-called Urdu words, otherwise the Hindi spelling is deemed incorrect.
- For the following English vowels met, mate, mat, transcribe as मॅट (short vowel), मेट (not मेइट), मैट (not मॅट, as popular in Marathi). However in contemporary Hindi and here, it is acceptable to use ए instead of ऍ. Thus: अमेरिका is more popular than अमॅरिका. For cot, coat, caught, transcribe as कॉट, कोट, कॉट (not कौट). Transcribe English /t/ and /d/ as ट and ड.
- Use half-न before त, थ, द, ध, न, instead of anuswaar अं. Use half-म before प, फ, ब, भ, म. Use the anuswaar before all the rest of the consonants (not half-ङ, ञ, ण). If the मात्रा is not above the alphabet, use chandra-bindu, but only for nasalization. Thus: अन्दर, not अंदर ; अन्त, not अंत ; हिन्दी, not हिंदी ; सम्भव, not संभव ; पंचमी, not पञ्चमी ; अंडा, not अण्डा ; कंठ, not कण्ठ ; लैंड, not लैण्ड ; आँख, not आंख. However, both forms are acceptable in contemporary Hindi as well as here; the prec. are just recommendations.
- When proceded by another vowel, use the pure vowels instead of य (unless the य is clearly articulated while pronouncing). Thus : जाएँ, not जायें (not जावें) ; आएगा, not आयेगा . However, both forms are acceptable in contemporary Hindi as well as here.
- Please pay careful attention to the masculine/feminine gender (and singular/plural) in adjectives and verbs, else the sentence becomes ungrammatical.
This page can also be found here.
Cygnus_hansa 01:02, 6 June 2006 (UTC)
- There's already a Malayalam Wikipedia waiting for your contributions. -- Sundar \talk \contribs 20:04, 3 July 2006 (UTC)
Do these schools deserve articles on wikipedia?
Hi Utcursch , I decided to write the articles on Khaitan Public School and Vishwa Bharati School, both based in Noida. I wonder if these schools will run into the notability issue. These schools have more than 2000 students each on roll and are well known in Noida. They have been around for 10-15 years. However the google search reutls show only less than 1000 entries for each of them.
I know search enginre results are a major criteria for AfD. So I need your opinion whether I should start these articles.
Unitedroad 11:10, 14 July 2006 (UTC)