User talk:Wiki User 68
|Wikipedia ads||file info – show another – #131|
- 1 Cape Verde
- 2 too much
- 3 hey marc
- 4 cape verdean creole projects
- 5 Portal:New France
- 6 WikiProject Birds March newsletter
- 7 Just Do It
- 8 Wikiproject Angola userbox
- 9 WikiProject Birds April newsletter
- 10 re: military of CV
- 11 WikiProject Birds May newsletter
- 12 Military of Cape Verde
- 13 WikiProject Birds June newsletter
- 14 Thank you so much!
- 15 Just a few questions
- 16 Signature
- 17 WikiProject Birds August newsletter
- 18 Sundancer edit
- 19 MfD nomination of Portal:Portuguese Commonwealth
- 20  (though a late reply)
- 21 Cape verde military police
- 22 WikiProject Mammals Notice Board
- 23 New design of templates in portal
- 24 Announcement
- 25 Notification: changes to "Mark my edits as minor by default" preference
- 26 Science lovers wanted!
- 27 Wikipedia:WikiProject Guyana
Hey Wiki User 68! Thanks for your support in the Cape Verde portal discussion, and for joining the wikiproject. Even though the portal has been deleted, the wikiproject is still there -- and there's lots of stuff to do! Please read the suggested activities list and let me know if you're interested -- I'd be much pleased to assist, even though in the following week or so I won't have much time available. Anyway, welcome to the project! :) Cheers, Waldir talk 09:26, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Oh, great, even better, the editor who deleted the page actually restored it after seeing that you started filling it with content. great job! :) --Waldir talk 09:43, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Well, if you're really as new to wiki editing as you're saying, then I must admit that you're pretty good at following instructions! You've been doing a flawless job so far! :) Well, except for leaving a message in the wrong section of my page, but that's ok -- the mediawiki software really does have a cumbersome interface. Next time, use the "new section" tab that shows up on the top of every talk page.
- As for my website, well, it's not as good as that, I'm trying to get some time to work on it and put it on a reasonable shape. Anyway, it's always better to keep wiki-related conversations on-wiki, for several reasons.
- So, Marc, huh? I have a good friend called Marc :) That's a good sign, I guess.. lol. Nice to meet you! --Waldir talk 14:12, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
you have put in sites that where already on the cape verde topics and when i was checking out the other countries pages i saw that they didnt even have much so i edited your external links cause it's too much for other countries portugal brazil italy (22.214.171.124 (talk) 15:37, 18 February 2009 (UTC))
- Well, I must agree with the other editors: some of the links you added were indeed relevant (and were kept), but many of them were a little too much. We have to keep a balance between necessary information and too much info, otherwise we risk overwhelming the readers with an overly long list of links that takes too much time to sort through. We do have other, more specialized articles where those links are welcome, such as "Politics of Cape Verde" and "Economy of Cape Verde". That said, I did re-add one link that you added, which was removed: the wikisource one. Btw, regarding this "too much choice" theme, perhaps you'll find this TED talk interesting: Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice. Let me know what you think of it! Cheers, Waldir talk 19:11, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the nice words! I'll look into updating the language box :) Cheers, Waldir talk 19:26, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
- On a second thought, I guess I'll keep it at level 3. I consider myself an "advanced" speaker of English, but I can't put it at the same level as my Portuguese, which is near-native. As for the level 5, well, that doesn't actually strike me as meaningful: professional level? Is this better than near-native? At any rate, my pt is definitely better than my english (spoken, at least) so I think i'll keep them at pt-4 and en-3. --Waldir talk 19:30, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the nice words! I'll look into updating the language box :) Cheers, Waldir talk 19:26, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
cape verdean creole projects
Lol... that was funny, I really was seeing that coming after reading the first words...
First of all, just to let you know that even though I can understand it, my Spanish is terrible. I don't even dare to make a joke from this by writing it in Spanish as you did :P
Now, back to the subject: you say creole is an officially recognised language... welll, it sort of is, but not quite. It does have an ISO code (kea), but is is not an official language even in Cape Verde! the grammar is largely unstandardised, and the vocabulary as well. The only standard is ALUPEC, for writing, but not even that was official until recently (as of last month, IIRC), when the government finally officialized it (well to be honest I don't even know exactly what they mean by that, but I'll assume that means there's now a de jure government endorsment from the Cape Verdean authorities, as opposed to a de facto/experimental endorsement as it had before).
But anyway, this idea is not new at all to me, we have discussed this at pt.wikipedia a while ago, but set aside the idea of creating a kea.wikipedia, for lack of manpower. Nevertheless, recent happenings (including the announcement of the possibility of a constitutional reform proposal by PAICV, the party currently in the gorvernment) made me look into this idea again and I've urged other editors (especially User:TenIslands, one of the biggest contributors of Cape Verdean wiki content) to join me in working out the basic foundations that will allow such projects to exist. Namely, we're currently discussing the possibility of localizing the MediaWiki software interface and system messages, at www.translatewiki.net; even before that, we need to submit some data to CLDR, the Unicode list of locales that... well, follow the link and read about it :)
After that, the language will effectively exist for the digital world, and thus for mediawiki as well (it may be translated and then chosed as the interface language). After this, other projects are possible, such as a cape verdean wiktionary, or even a wikipedia. Well, I think I'm writing too much now, let me know what you think of all this. Cheers, Waldir talk 21:47, 24 February 2009 (UTC)
- Ok, we should definitely talk about this in further detail. Do you use any instant messaging service? AOL, GTalk, MSN, Yahoo, Skype?... I think it may work out much better than sending messages on our talk pages. --Waldir talk 10:16, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- I think User:TenIslands will probably be of great help in this issue. He seems to have a pretty good grasp at the linguistics of the cv creole, and I know he knows at least one other person that has considerable interest in the issue. I am more of an amateur, but I'm enthusiastic about the subject. He might be getting an IM account soon so we can probably meet online someday to discuss all this. Anyway, add me to gmail: waldir.pimentagmail.com and we can talk about this in real-time :) --Waldir talk 21:08, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
Thank you for your compliment on Port-Royal Pub. Effectively, the Selected article page is under construction and the 12th article is missing. Actually, I am working on wikipedia-fr (my native language) and on meta. I need more time to work to complete the Portal:New France. I think when I will complete the 12th selected article, I just will to indicate random at 12, isn't it? I have to complete the location page too. A lot of pleasure in perspective! Excuse my poor english, I'm only at EN-1 level on Babel. Thank you again for your help! JF Lepage (talk) 04:34, 28 February 2009 (UTC)
The March 2009 issue of the Bird WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you.
This has been an automated delivery by BrownBot (talk) 21:50, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
Just Do It
You don't have to ask. I created the Seamounts Portal for WP:SEAMOUNT a while ago, so I haven't really touched it in over a month. Some tips, though:
- It uses the Random Content Generator
- For images, try here
- Portal-related stuff goes under Category:Seamounts Portal
Wikiproject Angola userbox
Just stopping by to thank you for creating WikiProject Angola. Looks good!--TM 21:26, 22 March 2009 (UTC)
The April 2009 issue of the Bird WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you. MeegsC | Talk 16:06, 8 April 2009 (UTC)
re: military of CV
I too noticed a recent increase of activity in this topic. Does he always use the same IP? If that's the case then we should probably drop him a message. Care to take the lead? :) --Waldir talk 11:50, 20 April 2009 (UTC)
- Yea, usually when users don't take the initiative to talk to someone on their own, it's useless to try and contact them, most don't respond. Still, it was worth the attempt :) --Waldir talk 08:47, 14 May 2009 (UTC)
The May 2009 issue of the Bird WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you.
- Newsletter delivery by xenobot 06:15, 17 May 2009 (UTC)
Military of Cape Verde
on the Military of Cape Verde website i see NAVY standing on it i wanted to change it because there only stood coast guard on all other web pages could you talk with me about this cause i wanted to write coast guard instead of NAVY try to explain is navy a good name —Preceding unsigned comment added by Questchest (talk • contribs) 00:42, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
The June 2009 issue of the Bird WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you.
- Newsletter delivery by xenobot 14:00, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
Thank you so much!
Thank you for your sweet words . but I'm really trying to do my best and I would like to improve myself more It would be very kind of you if you talk to me sometimes to guide and help me editing more of things . as I have some questions (and it will work better for me if I talked to u directly- just if u have time you don't mind-and I'm sure you would tell me alot) I actually don't know alot about wikipedia editing .. but I would like to , and I would greatly appreciate it if you help me.
he thanx for changing it to coast guard for me wiki user 68 there is still another problem CIA has got a new website im going to change somethings on Military of Cape Verde (Questchest (talk) 01:25, 11 June 2009 (UTC))
Just a few questions
First, considering the subject matters' activity;
- Why is there no WikiProject re this issue? And second;
- Why do the people who understand the real issues re Global Warming waste their time debating time-wasting issues with paid employees of the Oil & Coal industries on here?! They're simply trying to burn up your productive time to reduce your public informational impact! You must be crazy!! Knock it on the head. Everytime you spend your time replying to them, they have a big smile on their face. It's a personal insult to yourselves. And thirdly, and most importantly;
- Are any of you aware that Climate Change isn't a problem anymore but a fact. There's SO much CO2 in the atmosphere currently that even GOD hasn't got the natural resources to remove it without having to shut down the atlantic conveyor belt (equal to Natures' Global Recession) and even that, takes at least a thousand years to have a reasonable effect! The O&G industries have successfully reduced this informational resource to a near complete time waste and have occupied your time resources so succesfully that they've stopped you from engaging with ongoing environmental issues important to the general public.
This issue moves exceptionally fast and you Guys need to have all of your human resources necessary to facilitate the informational task at hand. If you thought that a near trillion dollar industry would neglect paying Wikipedia it's attention - then you're seriously naive! —Preceding unsigned comment added by Wiki User 68 (talk • contribs) (laughter) Doesn't take long does it. Wiki User 68 (talk) 00:08, 9 July 2009 (UTC)
- Since article talk pages are intended for discussion of how to improve the article, I took the liberty of moving this disucssion here. If you're interested in starting a climate change or global warming Wikiproject, you might start by discussing it at WikiProject_Meteorology_and_Weather. You can also take a look at Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Proposals for process details. Your second question is interesting. I don't know of any evidence that petro dollars are being spent to confound Wikipedia editors with tedious requests, but if they did it would be an ineffective political strategy. Tying up the time of a few grad students (such as myself) or even an assistant prof or two, will not really slow down academic work since most academics don't edit Wikipedia. Your third question does assume that we can't do anything about global warming, which is partially true (the Earth already is warmer), but I don't know of any source which says we might as well give up (except those who think it is "too expensive"). Nevertheless, I think most Wikipedia editors don't contribute to forward a political agenda. Instead they simply are reporting the facts as best we know them. And if the facts say our planet is inevitably in trouble, that's what gets reported. Hope this helps, --TeaDrinker (talk) 00:24, 9 July 2009 (UTC)
The August 2009 issue of the Bird WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you.
Hi there, you changed the interior living volume in the article Sundancer from 180 m3 to 271 m3. The source attached specifically says the volume is 180 m3. I think you may be using a total volume figure rather than living volume, which is what the infobox calls for. If you have any questions, let me know. — Huntster (t @ c) 00:57, 16 September 2009 (UTC)
MfD nomination of Portal:Portuguese Commonwealth
Portal:Portuguese Commonwealth, a page you substantially contributed to, has been nominated for deletion. Your opinions on the matter are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion/Portal:Portuguese Commonwealth and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~). You are free to edit the content of Portal:Portuguese Commonwealth during the discussion but should not remove the miscellany for deletion template from the top of the page; such a removal will not end the deletion discussion. Thank you. Zetawoof(ζ) 08:33, 20 November 2009 (UTC)
reply to your comments on portal discussion page- well i was in a hurry so in haste i just designed it and nom. for featured portals and then i contributed few more things and now i am unable to spend my time here due to my studies. i was the only one to do that work thats why the discussion page was empty. check out the history of the portal. thanks for appreciating my work. Happy editing!!!! Sushant gupta (talk) 16:49, 2 December 2009 (UTC)
Cape verde military police
Hey Wiki User its me again long time ago isnt it i wanted to ask you if you could read this 2 sites for me and start like and make like an article with me i just started the site Cape verde military police with a link of guys that are in praia fighting against riots i think when i started the site someone told to put an article about this or it will be put as speedy deletion i even need help on this site Law enforcement in Cape Verde an article and the picture of the cape verdean police man is to big could you check out the links and help my tough (Questchest (talk) 16:43, 27 December 2009 (UTC))
WikiProject Mammals Notice Board
New design of templates in portal
Hello! I'm The Arbiter, one of the coordinators for WikiProject Zoo. I am proud to announce the launch of a new portal: Portal:Zoos and Aquariums! ZooPro, ZooFari, and I worked hard to create a new portal for information on zoos, aquariums, and the associated projects and articles on Wikipedia. If you could head on over, take a look at our work, and maybe learn some more about zoos and Wikiproject Zoo, it would be great! Cheers and Happy Editing!
Notification: changes to "Mark my edits as minor by default" preference
Hello there. This is an automated message to tell you about the gradual phasing out of the preference entitled "Mark all edits minor by default", which you currently have (or very recently had) enabled.
On 13 March 2011, this preference was hidden from the user preferences screen as part of efforts to prevent its accidental misuse (consensus discussion). This had the effect of locking users in to their existing preference, which, in your case, was
true. To complete the process, your preference will automatically be changed to
false in the next few days. This does not require any intervention on your part and you will still be able to manually mark your edits as being minor in the usual way.
Science lovers wanted!
|Science lovers wanted!|
|Hi! I'm serving as the wikipedian-in-residence at the Smithsonian Institution Archives until June! One of my goals as resident, is to work with Wikipedians and staff to improve content on Wikipedia about people who have collections held in the Archives - most of these are scientists who held roles within the Smithsonian and/or federal government. I thought you might like to participate since you are interested in the sciences! Sign up to participate here and dive into articles needing expansion and creation on our to-do list. Feel free to make a request for images or materials at the request page, and of course, if you share your successes at the outcomes page you will receive the SIA barnstar! Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to your participation! Sarah (talk) 02:30, 17 April 2012 (UTC)|
You are listed as a member at Wikipedia:WikiProject Guyana#Participants. If you would like to continue, we would be delighted to have your contributions, but if you would like to withdraw, we can understand that, too. Please let me know your wishes. --DThomsen8 (talk) 00:07, 28 August 2012 (UTC)