|archive 1 (sep 07 – jun 08)||archive 2 (jun 08 – aug 08)||archive 3 (aug 08 – nov 08)||archive 4 (nov 08 – feb 09)|
|archive 5 (feb 09 – jun 09)||archive 6 (jun 09 – mar 10)||archive 7 (mar 10 – feb 12)||archive 8 (feb 12 – feb 14)|
I've just replied to you on 'Dispute_resolution_noticeboard#Talk:Geordie.23Mostly_unsourced_In_popular_culture_section'
Persian People Dispute
I think that I would have done the same thing, closing the case as a conduct dispute. The allegations by the filing party are serious and disruptive. I don't know if they are true, because I haven't researched the talk page. However, if they are true,the conduct issues by the other party are not consistent with mediation. If they are false, then claiming that they are true is a serious conduct issue also. Someone is misbehaving. Either way, I think you were right in closing the case. Robert McClenon (talk) 01:34, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- I was bored. I could literally be gone by next Tuesday. We'll see! Xavexgoem (talk) 20:30, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
Your handling of the dispute with a Socratic examination of the filing party was unorthodox, but it worked. Were you trying to get the filing party to acknowledge that they were just being stubborn? Robert McClenon (talk) 23:12, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Partly, but that's like blood from a stone. I mostly wanted to know whether they cared about what other editors were telling them which would imply some measure of AGF. There might have been a case if they did, but I wasn't counting on it. (edit) But yeah, that first question I asked? Totally. I've been toying with the idea of getting some editors out of a COI/SPA/POV/Whatever mindset. Xavexgoem (talk) 23:37, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
Request for Assistance with a Stalker
It appears I am being stalked by User: Guy Macon wherever I go in Wikipedia. This began when, after several years away from WP, I attempted to communicate with Larry Sanger and Jimbo Wales concerning a draft proposal for a New Doomsday Book on Global Climate change. I did not edit any article, but merely attempted to bring the proposal to their attention on their talk pages, and ask for comments. However, before I could even complete this post and ask for comments, it was deleted by Guy Macon, who accused me of violating WP:Promotion, which was not my intent. I had no clue what he was writing about, but he was quite aggressive about it. Consequently, neither Sanger nor Wales was able to see the proposal. The proposal was merely a proposal in a personal communication, and was not published elsewhere.
Subsequently, the discussion with Guy Macon got a bit heated on both sides, as you can see from my talk page, where most of it is posted. After considerable provocation and baiting from Guy Macon, at one point I said some things I should not have said, and not long afterwards redacted them with apologies. He also said some things he should not have said, which were decidedly uncivil, but did not redact them. Some remain on my talk page. Instead, he followed me and posted snarky and threatening statements on other editor's talk pages (Elonka, Coppertwig) where I left messages, despite the fact I have not attempted to edit or created any articles. He made uncivil statements on my talk page and has even proposed deleting material I put in my sandbox so I could work on it further and hopefully refine it. Shortly thereafter my sandbox was deleted, including material that had nothing to do with the proposal. He seems determined to prevent me from discussing my ideas with anyone in Wikipedia, which seems a bit over the top.Mervyn Emrys (talk) 01:55, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
For context, years ago I was outed, twice, by other editors, which threatened my academic employment among colleagues who take a dim view of Wikipedia. I left for nearly ten years. Guy Macon's conduct in this matter is remarkably similar to the conduct of other editors at that time, especially his determined lack of civility.
So now I don't know what else I can do but turn to you to see if you will review the material Guy has placed on my talk page, and on the talk pages of Elonka and Coppertwig, and get him to stop stalking and threatening me. Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Mervyn Emrys (talk) 00:57, 6 November 2018 (UTC)Mervyn Emrys (talk) 02:03, 6 November 2018 (UTC)Mervyn Emrys (talk) 02:05, 6 November 2018 (UTC) I apologize I am unable to provide diffs for this request, but I come to Wikipedia to edit, not to become proficient in all the myriad technical features of the site. Most of what you will need to see is on my talk page anyway. As you can see from the post below, User:Guy Macon is using my Contributions list to stalk me around Wikipedia and leave disparaging comments everywhere I leave a message. He is succeeding in making my editing on WP very unpleasant. Mervyn Emrys (talk) 06:01, 7 November 2018 (UTC)Mervyn Emrys (talk) 06:36, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Not sure why Mervyn Emrys contacted you with this, but what he is trying to post in various places is a clear violation of WP:SOAPBOX. See his edit history. --Guy Macon (talk) 03:35, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Related: Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion/User:Mervyn Emrys/sandbox --Guy Macon (talk) 05:00, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Wow, What a shock. You go to multiple talk pages making false accusations naming me, and I read your latest attempt to attack me in your edit history and post a link to the page you are ranting about, politely refraining from referring you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.
- --Guy Macon (talk) 04:42, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
- I agree, but just imagine how numb I feel about all this. I found your name on the WP:Dispute Resolution page listed as dealing with conduct issues. If you do not wish to deal with this, I will try and find somebody else. I apologize for not sending you links to diffs, but I am still trying to learn how to do that. I come to Wikipedia to edit, not to spend all my time learning the neat technical operations one may perform here, so many editors are more proficient than I in that area. When I figure out how to do it, I will send them to you. But really, most of what this is about in on my talk page, now that my sandbox has been deleted by the mob.Mervyn Emrys (talk) 06:36, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- The part of WP:Dispute Resolution I work with is content issues, not conduct issues :) Granted, most content issues are conduct issues in disguise, but that's a philosophical point.
- I will say this: your current approach is not working. You may think the reason it's not working is because Guy is keeping an eye on you, but it's the reverse case: He's keeping an eye on you because your approach isn't working. Take heed. Xavexgoem (talk) 07:19, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Well, they have you listed under "Behavioral and content issues" at WP:Dispute Resolution, so I thought "behavioral" meant conduct. Sorry to have bothered you.Mervyn Emrys (talk)!