A combination of real-life events have put me out of Wikipedia-action for several weeks now. I don't see my activity going back up any time soon, and in any case, this time off has made me realise that, frankly, I just find this place depressing at the moment. Probably just burnout from being exposed to ArbCom and its attendant dramas over the last year, but whatever the reason, right now Wikipedia isn't something I feel very motivated by. I'm therefore hanging up my Edit tab and bowing out. Maybe six months down the line I'll start to remember the good times a bit more and re-appear; that doesn't seem likely right now, however.
Thanks to all the wonderful folk I've encountered and collaborated with over the years; despite my current attitude, it has most definitely been fun. I shall always be proud to have been a part of this project, and to have met and worked with you all. May your names never be mentioned at ANI, and may all of your articles become Featured!
I hereby resign my role with ArbCom; conveniently there's an election coming up so my seat won't be vacant for too long.
- 1 Sorry
- 2 Thank you
- 3 Thanks and going to miss you
- 4 Take a break
- 5 Miss you
- 6 A retirement cookie for you!
- 7 Some cookies for you!
- 8 A barnstar for you!
- 9 Dedicated
- 10 Season's Greetings!
- 11 Merry Christmas and happy new year
- 12 Best wishes for the holidays...
- 13 SG for Bonshō
- 14 Almost New Year (UTC)
- 15 Happy New Year, Yunshui!
- 16 Happy New Year, Yunshui
- 17 I can't believe it!
- 18 commons:Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Patience-Agbabi.jpg
- 19 Come back
- 20 Precious anniversary
- 21 A barnstar for you!
- 22 Extended confirmed protection
- Sorry to see you go, it's been good to work with you over the last year on Arbcom. Article editing is addictive, so I have every confidence you'll be back to that at least. But if not, good luck wherever you end up. -- Euryalus (talk) 21:30, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- I'm very sad to see you go, and would like to profusely thank you for your service. Best of luck for the future! L235 (t / c / ping in reply) 22:04, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- I'm very sorry to see this. All the best, Smallbones(smalltalk) 22:21, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- I hope you come back in time Yunshui, I've always held you in the highest esteem and thought you were really one hell of a good person. I understand burn out, real life and all that, and when I saw you were running, it was with mixed emotion, as I know the place can chew you up and spit you out. You've never been afraid to be bold, but you are such a kind hearted guy that I knew it would bring challenges. Whatever you do, I wish you godspeed and the best from life. You leaving does leave a void here, and I hope you find something more meaningful to fill the void on your side. Dennis Brown - 2¢ 23:54, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- I hope you will be back soon. --Skr15081997 (talk) 06:56, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- I am not even going to say goodbye because I'd seriously like to believe that you are coming back. Well, I don't know what to say but you have been my greatest influence here and I'd have probably never edited here again if it weren't for you. And that means a hell lot to me. I respect your decision and wish you all the very best. It has been a privilege working with you and I hope to see you again. Please do come back. Take care, Yash! 06:58, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- I'm sorry to see you retiring, Yunshui, but I understand that real life comes first. I can't thank you enough for all of your support and we are all grateful for your contributions to the project. I hope there will be a time when you feel like dropping back and doing a little editing, unencumbered by arbitration or administrative responsibilities. May you then rediscover what brought you to Wikipedia in the first place! All the best, Liz Read! Talk! 10:43, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- Sorry to see you go Yunshui, This place can be a complete hell hole at times but it can also be a great place to be too :), Anyway thank you for your contributions and I wish you all the best for the future, Thanks, –Davey2010Talk 13:07, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- I'm very sorry to see you go, Yunshui! Hats-off for your long service for the encyclopedia, I really hope to see you again, soon! Meanwhile, all the best for the future! Jim ter 13:53, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- Take a few months off, and then come back. We need you here. Thomas.W talk 14:05, 8 November 2015 (UTC)
- I wish you the best and hope that you come back. You have been an asset to the project and all of your good work is very appreciated. I hope that your real life is blessed.
— Berean Hunter (talk) 17:21, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
- Yunshui, I too am sorry to see you go, and hope that you might consider rejoining the project in the future. I see that you joined Wikipedia just a few weeks before me. Thank you for your many contributions over the past several years, and especially for your service on the Arbcom. I hope that your time away from Wikipedia is joyful. All the best. - MrX 23:43, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
- Yunshui, you were one of the first administrators to welcome me to Wikipedia—three years ago almost to the day, actually! I don't edit much anymore, but back when I did, it was always a pleasure to see you around the wiki. I recall that you stopped by my talk page several times to see how I was doing or compliment me on what I'd been up to, which made me feel welcome on this oft-unwelcoming site. I was happy to see you'd been elected to ArbCom, and I'm sorry to hear it's taken a toll on you. Hope to see you back around some time in the future. Personally, even though I'm not too involved in the daily affairs now, I still find myself needing to correct an article from time to time. And in a way, I find that much more rewarding than a lot of the stuff I used to do. Anyways, good luck with everything in your real life, and in your wiki-life as well, should you ever choose to return! — PinkAmpers&(Je vous invite à me parler) 02:39, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- I am saddened as well by your departure. Our only interaction, I believe, was when you fixed up a move that I botched several years ago. Yet as an observer, I've always seen you as incredibly level-headed and reasonable in the face of our worst conflicts. Yes, I agree, the Wikipedia community can be a depressing bunch, but the principles for which it stands (or for which it is supposed to stand)—that is, to build a free-access, free-content encyclopedia that connects the world with knowledge in an atmosphere of camaraderie and mutual respect—are what inspire me to come back. This is the side of the project I wanted readers (and potential new editors) to see with the Wikipedia:Five million articles message, and this is the side of the project we should all strive for. There will be disagreements, sometimes heated and bitter, and sometimes understandably so! But in the end, the most important thing is that maybe, just maybe, we've improved the world by sharing our knowledge. And with that, a deep thank you for all of your contributions to this project. See you around, Yunshui. Mz7 (talk) 05:02, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Thank you for everything you have done. I didn't see this coming but I certainly respect your decision. You've been an outstanding role model and I've appreciated your interest and guidance over the years. Hopefully you find some time to come back as a writer or even an administrator. Mkdwtalk 21:42, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
- I'm the last one to hear news as usual, but on a personal note I'd like to thank you for persuading me that being an admin was a good idea, writing a good co-nomination statement, and then deflecting the very few opposes with a "move along, nothing to see", and I'm extremely grateful for that and everything else you have done here. Don't be a stranger. Ritchie333 (talk) (cont) 21:11, 13 November 2015 (UTC)
- Wish you all the best and thanks for your contributions.Will miss you for sure.Pharaoh of the Wizards (talk) 21:27, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
- This makes me a sad panda! I'll definitely miss you and I hope to see you back at some point in time!! Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 09:33, 17 November 2015 (UTC)
- Yunshui, I still remember you helping me out regarding Tale of the Pipa. I'd like to see you come back sometime! WhisperToMe (talk) 09:01, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
- It's been great working with you, Yunshui. You'll always be welcomed here, so come back whenever you feel ready. I, JethroBT drop me a line 06:26, 27 November 2015 (UTC)
- Eventhough I don't know you well, but your wishes touched my heart a lot. Thanks and wish you good luck and hoping you'll return with editing on interested areas. ;) Vincent60030
- Thanks for answering me. But I thought you retired! Have a nice retirement :) User:DelugeRPG
(talk) 15:33, 10 December 2015 (UTC)
- Holy macaroni! I never thought I'd see this from you man! Just... Gone! I'm kinda speechless! What can I say that others haven't? You made this place a pile better! You were patient, a great observer, even better at acting where needed, and you took me on to make me better. People say I'm smart, nah nah, not compared to you I'm not! You, are the smart one my friend. My friend... Yun, you're always welcome to drop me an E-Mail if you want to, becuase I'm prepared to be a friend to you if that's what you wanted.
- The lateness of this really does show my frequency huh? Yunshui. Wherever you go, and whatever you do. know that the Wikipedia community will welcome you back. I'm sure the messages above make that clear. "Take it easy now."
Thank you for service. NE Ent 22:55, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
Thanks and going to miss you
Take a break
I liked you and hope you will come back someday. Take care.
|Thanks Yunshui for helping me out, wish you the best of luck in real life. Hope to see you soon! Yutah Andrei Marzan Ogawa123|UPage|☺★ (talk) 08:30, 18 November 2015 (UTC)|
|Some cookies for you!|
|We welcome our new editors with a plate of cookies, and we should say goodbye to our editors with a plate of cookies as well. Yunshui, I wish you only the best from your retirement. —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 22:55, 21 November 2015 (UTC)|
A barnstar for you!
|The Admin's Barnstar|
|A final star to my adoptor, who brought me out of my indef block and made me the editor that I am today. Farewell. I hope to see you back again. Kevin12xd 15:48, 23 November 2015 (UTC)|
|Did you know
that Jean Sibelius
described his string quartet
Voces intimae as the
"kind of thing that brings
a smile to your lips
at the hour of death"?
I dedicated an article to you and your dedication,- hope you like it. The translation of the peace bell is in progress. Looking at the award from you brings the smile to my lips ;) --Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:06, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
Merry Christmas and happy new year
Best wishes for the holidays...
|Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season, and all best wishes for the New Year! Hafspajen (talk) 09:00, 29 December 2015 (UTC)|
SG for Bonshō
|On 31 December 2015, Schon gewusst? was updated with a fact from the translation of the article Bonshō, which you created or substantially expanded. The fact was: Bonshō, eine große Glocke in japanischen buddistischen Tempeln, wurde zum Symbol für den Weltfrieden. (Bonshō, a big bell in Japanese Buddhist temples, became a symbol of world peace.) You are welcome to check how many hits the article got while on the front page (quick check).|
Almost New Year (UTC)
Did you know ... that back in 1885, Wikipedia editors wrote Good Articles with axes, hammers and chisels?
Happy New Year, Yunshui!
I can't believe it!
Yunshui's Wiki-addicted? Judge for yourself... Someone who wrote all this would retire from Wikipedia. I hope you have good memories to cherish. Goodbye! I will always remember you.
126.96.36.199 (talk) (or the current IP of u:acagastya) 09:38, 13 January 2016 (UTC)
You are invited to join the discussion at commons:Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Patience-Agbabi.jpg. I know you're mostly retired, but just in case -- I opened a DR on commons about this file, which you've previously removed from the article for the same reason I nominated it. :) Thanks. ☺ · Salvidrim! · ✉ 06:09, 14 January 2016 (UTC)
- Yes, come back! I unsubscribed you from the Signpost so it doesn't clutter your talk page unless you're secretly reading them in retirement. You can send me a private message if you want it back. 21:35, 27 April 2016 (UTC)
|... you were recipient
no. 501 of Precious,
a prize of QAI!
A barnstar for you!
|The Photographer's Barnstar|
|Windfirewheels.jpg is amazing! Gitonga (talk) 12:27, 2 September 2016 (UTC)|