Etymology and origins
A different (standing) pose is given the name Ushtrasana in the 19th century Sritattvanidhi. The modern pose is described in the 20th century by two of Krishnamacharya's pupils, Pattabhi Jois in his Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, and B. K. S. Iyengar in his Light on Yoga.
Ustrasana is a deep backward bend from a kneeling position; the completed pose has the hands on the heels. The backs of the feet may be flat on the floor, or the toes may be tucked under for a slightly less strong backbend.
The name Ardha Ustrasana, Half Camel pose, is given to two different poses. One has the hands on the hips; the other has one hand on the heel on the same side, as in the full pose, and the other arm stretched back over the head.
- "Yoga Journal - Camel Pose". Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "Dhanurasana". AshtangaYoga. Archived from the original on 29 April 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- Sinha, S. C. (June 1996). Dictionary of Philosophy. Anmol Publications. p. 18. ISBN 978-81-7041-293-9.
- Sjoman 1999, p. 77; plate 9, pose 54.
- Sjoman 1999, pp. 100–101.
- Iyengar 1979, pp. 87–88.
- Pizer, Ann (7 February 2019). "How to Do Camel Pose (Ustrasana) in Yoga". Very Well Fit. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Swanson, Ann (2019). Science of yoga : understand the anatomy and physiology to perfect your practice. New York, New York: DK Publishing. pp. 76–79. ISBN 978-1-4654-7935-8. OCLC 1030608283.
- "26 Bikram Yoga Poses". Bikram Yoga Poses Guide. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Camel pose modifications, half Camel pose for beginners, ardha ustrasana steps and benefits". Vishwanti Yoga. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Half Camel | Ardha Ustrasana". Yoga Basics. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- Iyengar, B. K. S. (1979) . Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika. Unwin Paperbacks. ISBN 978-1855381667.
- Jain, Andrea (2015). Selling Yoga : from Counterculture to Pop culture. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-939024-3. OCLC 878953765.
- Newcombe, Suzanne (2019). Yoga in Britain: Stretching Spirituality and Educating Yogis. Bristol, England: Equinox Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78179-661-0.
- Sjoman, Norman E. (1999) . The Yoga Tradition of the Mysore Palace. Abhinav Publications. ISBN 81-7017-389-2.