Utah State Route 7
Map of Utah State Route 7
|Maintained by UDOT|
|Length||18.299 mi (29.449 km)|
|West end||I-15 in St George|
|East end||CURRENT: Sand Hollow Road near Sand Hollow State Park|
FUTURE: SR-9 near Hurricane
State Route 7 (SR-7), also known as Southern Parkway, is a state highway in Washington County in the extreme southwestern portion of Utah, United States. It connects the southern periphery of St George to Hurricane, while providing access to the St. George Regional Airport.
State Route 7 starts at its intersection with I-15 in southwest St. George. From here it travels southeast for about 3 miles (4.8 km) to immediately north of the Utah-Arizona border, then turning east and paralleling the border. Past interchanges at Astragalus Drive and River Road, the road turns east-northeast and continues for 15 miles (24 km) until reaching its temporary terminus at Sand Hollow Road (immediately southwest of Sand Hollow State Park), passing Airport Parkway (which accesses the St. George Regional Airport) and Washington Dam Road.
Since the 1977 Utah state route renumbering, no route in Utah had been designated as State Route 7, until 2009 when the Utah State Legislature added the Southern Parkway from Pioneer Road to River Road to the state highway system.
The first portion of the freeway opened 7 July 2009, a link between exit 2 at I-15 south of Bloomington (a suburb within the city of St. George) to River Road in south east St. George spanning 4 miles (6.4 km). It is the southern portion of a two-phase beltway around the St. George metro area. The second portion was completed in November 2010, extending further east to the new St. George Regional Airport. The highway is eventually planned to extend 26 miles (41.8 km) northeast—as a four-lane freeway—to Hurricane, although initially there will be some at-grade intersections. These will be converted to interchanges as traffic volumes warrant.
The entire route is in Washington County.
|St. George||0.000||0.000||I-15 – Las Vegas, Salt Lake City||Western terminus; roadway continues west as Sun River Parkway, also I-15 Exit 2|
|0.444||0.715||1||Astragalus Drive/Black Mountain Drive|
|3.251||5.232||3||River Road||Interchange is immediately north of Utah-Arizona border|
|5.911||9.513||6||Desert Canyons Parkway – St. George Regional Airport||Road is 2 lanes from this point eastward as of 2018|
|7.082||11.397||7||Airport Parkway – St. George Regional Airport|
|Washington||10.385||16.713||10||Warner Valley Road|
|14.720||23.690||15||Washington Dam Road|
|||18.299||29.449||Sand Hollow Road - Sand Hollow State Park, Hurricane||At-grade intersection; temporary eastern terminus|
Immediately southwest of Sand Hollow State Park
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "State Route 7 highway resolutions" (PDF). udot.utah.gov. Utah Department of Transportation. Sep 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- "Highway Reference: State Route 7" (PDF). udot.gov. Utah Department of Transportation. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2017 – via Highway Referencing.
- "UDOT to Open First Segment of State's Newest Highway". udot.utah.gov. Utah Department of Transportation. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved 7 Jul 2009.
- "Southern Parkway Project map". Retrieved 3 Jan 2010.
- "Utah National Highway System". UDOT Data Portal. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- "Public Works Capital projects". sgcity.org. City of St George, department of public works. Retrieved 17 Jan 2009.
- "Traffic and transportation information exchange - Southern Parkway". sgcity.org. City of St George. Retrieved 17 Jan 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Utah State Route 7.|
- "Southern Corridor Environmental Impact Statement". Utah Department of Transportation.
- Campbell, Julia (6 Jul 2005). "Southern Corridor Will Be Closer to Hurricane". Hurricane Valley Journal. Retrieved 17 Jan 2009.
- St. George project page