Utopia (cruise ship)
|Port of registry:||Bahamas|
|Route:||circumnavigation of the world|
|Ordered:||November 20, 2009 (amended in 2012)|
|Builder:||Samsung Heavy Industries|
|Maiden voyage:||2016 (planned)Still unknown as final papers not signed|
|Type:||Residential cruise ship|
|Length:||296 m (971 ft)|
|Beam:||36 m (118 ft)|
|Height:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Draught:||8.3 m (27 ft)|
|Installed power:||50,400KW 6 × Wärtsilä diesel engines|
Utopia is a planned luxury residential ocean liner project. The company has recently completed all of its marine architecture and marine engineering, and the hull and propeller testing have been completed by Samsung. A formal marketing launch of the ship, reportedly costing US$1.1 billion, is expected in 2017. Final financing is being provided by The Frontier Group. The original binding letter of intent to build Utopia was amended in 2017. The ship was to be built by Samsung Heavy Industries, one of the largest shipbuilders in the world. The Finnish engineering company Elomatic Marine is credited for the design concept of the vessel, with architectural design by Tillberg Design U.S.
The original business plan called for residences with prices from US$3.9 million to US$30 million, but Utopia has since increased its prices on its residences.
The 296 m (971 ft), 108,000 GT, ship will have a 190 residences ranging in size from 130 to 613 m2 (1,400 to 6,600 sq ft). The ship will also have 175-room hotel, casino, 16,000 sq ft spa, night club, and many other amenities.
The ship will be largely financed by the Frontier Group, a private equity firm based in St. Louis, Missouri. Frontier will put up most of the funds to cover the US$1.1 billion in construction costs.
- MS The World, a similar resident-owned vessel currently in service
- Henrik Segercrantz (February 2010). "Utopia". Maritime Reporter. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Utopia Residential Ship Signs Contract with Shipyard". Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- "Our Partners - Shipbuilder". Utopia. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "SHI Opens an Era of Cruise Shipbuilding in Korea". Samsung Heavy Industries. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Elomatic and Utopia's historic conceptual design for residential ocean liner one step closer to becoming reality". Elomatic. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- Christopher Tritto (13 December 2009). "Frontier backs US$1 billion luxury ocean liner Utopia". St. Louis Business Journal. Retrieved 24 November 2010.