Utsa Patnaik is an Indian Marxist economist. She taught at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning in the School of Social Sciences at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi, from 1973 until her retirement in 2010.
Utsa Patnaik obtained her doctorate in economics from the Somerville College, Oxford, UK before returning to India to join JNU. Her main areas of research interest are the problems of transition from agriculture and peasant predominant societies to industrial society, both in a historical context and at present in relation to India; and questions relating to food security and poverty. These issues have been discussed in more than 110 papers published as chapters in books and in journals. She has authored several books, including Peasant Class Differentiation - A Study in Method (1987), The Long Transition (1999) and The Republic of Hunger and Other Essays (2007). A German translation of selections from the last book appeared in 2009. She has also edited and co-edited several volumes including Chains of Servitude - Bondage and Slavery in India (1985), Agrarian Relations and Accumulation - the Mode of Production Debate in India (1991), The Making of History - Essays presented to Irfan Habib (2000) and The Agrarian Question in Marx and his Successors in two volumes (2007, 2011).
- "Utsa Patnaik's Faculty Profile Page at the JNU website". Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Somerville's enduring links with India - The Indira Gandhi Centre for Sustainable Development at Somerville College, Oxford". Somerville College, Oxford. 2015.
- "Text of the inaugural T G Narayanan Memorial Lecture on Social Deprivation organised by Media Development Foundation and Asian College of Journalism, Chennai, and speaker profile" (PDF). Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "It is a crisis rooted in economic reforms". Frontline. 19 June 2004. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Catalogue Information on The Republic of Hunger and author profile, from Three Essays Collective". Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Schattenseiten der Globalisierung". Deutschlandradio. 5 October 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Chains of servitude: Bondage and Slavery in India. Google Books. 1985. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Information on Agrarian Relations and Accumulation - the Mode of Production Debate in India. Google Books. 1990. ISBN 9780195625653. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "The Making of History - Catalogue Information". Tulika Books. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "The Agrarian Question in Marx and his Successors, Vol. I - Catalogue Information". LeftWord Books. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "The Agrarian Question in Marx and his Successors, Vol. II - Catalogue Information". LeftWord Books. Retrieved 19 February 2012.