Uttar Pradesh NRHM scam
Uttar Pradesh NRHM Scam is an alleged corruption scandal in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, in which top politicians and bureaucrats are alleged to have siphoned off a massive sum estimated at ₹100 billion (US$1.4 billion) from the National Rural Health Mission, a central government program meant to improve health care delivery in rural areas. At least five people are said to have been murdered in an attempt to coverup large-scale irregularities. Several former ministers of then ruling party, Bahujan Samaj Party have been investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation
The NRHM scam came to light after two Chief Medical Officers (the top health functionary of the district) were successively murdered in wealthier localities of the state capital, Lucknow. Dr. Vinod Arya (Oct 2010) and Dr. B. P. Singh (April 2011) were shot dead in broad daylight outside their homes, by motorcycle assassins, using the same weapon. Deputy-CMO Y.S. Sachan, who is thought to have had a role in the murders, was arrested, but died mysteriously while in custody. Subsequently, three other functionaries who were under investigation have also been murdered or died under suspicious circumstances. The CBI referred the case to T D Dogra of AIIMS New Delhi, he examined the scene of occurrence and opined in favour of Suicide.
People accused of involvement
On 3 April 2012 Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filed its first chargesheet against PK Jain (former general manager of Construction and Design Services), subhash chaudhari (project manager), Kataar Singh (resident engineer), BN Ram (project engineer), JK Singh (accountant), Naresh Grover (managing director of a private firm) and R K Singh (managing director of a private firm) CBI has alleged that these accused caused a loss of ₹54.6 million (US$760,000) while carrying out the upgrading work of 134 district hospitals. To carry out the upgrade of 134 district hospitals ₹134 million (US$1.9 million) was granted to Construction and Design Services,a unit of UP Jal Nigam, which outsourced the job to a Ghaziabad based firm which had obtained the tender on the basis of bogus and forged documents. As per CBI the material used in up-gradation was sub-standard and thus caused heavy losses to the exchequer. On 4 April 2012 CBI filed second chargesheet and alleged that the ₹44.2 million (US$620,000) medical equipment procurement contract was awarded in pre-decided manner to two Moradabad based firms by the then Director General (Family Welfare) through UPSIC thereby causing a loss of Rs 15 million to the exchequer. People named in the chargesheet were SP Ram (former Uttar Pradesh director general of Family Welfare), Abhay Kumar Bajpai (former MD, Uttar Pradesh Small Industries Corporation), Sanjeev Kumar (area manager) and Saurabh Jain (owner of a private firm) On the very next day CBI filed another chargesheet in the case and charged GK Batra (managing director of Uttar Pradesh Public Sector Undertaking Shreeton India Limited), Virender Goel (owner of Axis Marketing) and Neeraj Upadhyaya (owner of Radhey Shyam Enterprises) The agency alleged that irregularities in purchase of 951 computers and peripherals under the NRHM caused a loss of ₹2.78 crore (US$390,000) to the exchequer
In November 2011, Babu Singh Kushwaha, former Minister of Family Welfare in Mayawati's government and health minister Anant Kumar Mishra were forced to resign following media outcry after the killing of the two Chief Medical Officers remain unsolved. Kushwaha was once considered a close confidant of Chief Minister Mayawati. Shortly after this, the Kushwaha controversially joined the Bharatiya Janata Party. In July 2011, Lucknow chief medical officer (CMO) Dr A.K. Shukla was arrested on charge of embezzlement of funds under NRHM.
In February 2012, Babu Singh Khushwaha was listed as one of the accused in an FIR for an NRHM-related murder, and was interrogated by the CBI.
As of 17 February 2012, the number of people who have died because of their alleged links to the National Rural Health Mission scam has risen to six.
- Chief Medical Officer - On 27 October 2010, CMO Vinod Arya was murdered
- Chief Medical Officer - On 2 April 2011 another CMO B. P. Singh was shot dead from a motorcycle
- Deputy Chief Medical Officer - On 22 June 2011, deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Y.S. Sachan was murdered, a day before he was to be deposed in the court. Sachan was an accused of the murder of Lucknow Chief Medical Officer Dr B.P. Singh, who was shot dead on 2 April.
- Project Manager - vikash gupta a project manager for the NRHM allegedly shot himself dead in Lucknow on 23 January 2012.
- Deputy Chief Medical Officer - Shailesh Yadav deputy Chief Medical Officer of Varanasi, who was questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) in connection with the NRHM scam in Uttar Pradesh, died in what police are claiming was a road accident on 15 February 2012.
- Clerk, Health department - Mahendra Sharma a clerk with the Health Department in Uttar Pradesh was found dead in Lakhimpur on 16 February 2011.
- Director(Former), Health Department - Dr. Pawan Kumar Srivastava was found dead in his house in Gorakhpur (Utttar Pradesh) after committing suicide on 10 January 2018.
- "Mayawati misused funds for rural health: PM". The New Indian Express. 17 February 2012.
- "Fifth man dead in UP's rural health fund scam". NDTV. 17 February 2012.
- "NRHM scam: 2 former UP ministers to appear before CBI". The Indian Express. NewDelhi, India. 26 December 2011.
- Bhupendra Pandey (7 April 2011). "Both Lucknow CMOs 'killed by same pistol'". The Indian Express.
- "Dr sachan planned BP Singh's murder says UP police". CNN-IBN. 3 July 2011.
- "UP health scam: 5th official found dead, family cries murder". The Indian Express. 16 February 2012.
- "Sachan Case: AIIMS experts' report contradicted FSL view". Hindustan Times. 4 October 2012. Archived from the original on 29 November 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "NRHM scam: CBI files first chargesheet". Zee News.
- "NRHM scam: CBI files chargesheet against ex-UP babu, others". The Times of India. 3 April 2012.
- "CBI files second chargesheet in NRHM scam". Hindustan Times. 4 April 2012.
- "CBI files second charge sheet in NRHM scam". The Times of India. 4 April 2012.
- "CBI files second chargesheet in NRHM scam case". CNN-IBN. 4 April 2012.
- "CBI files third chargesheet in NRHM scam". CNN-IBN. 5 April 2012.
- "Two Uttar Pradesh ministers resign". CNN-IBN. 7 April 2011.
- "BSP expels ex-minister Babu Singh Kushwaha". NDTV. 28 November 2011.
- "BJP suspends leader for alleging money deal between party and Kushwaha". NDTV. 10 January 2012.
- "Sachan murder case: Former CMO A.K. Shukla arrested". India Today. 12 July 2011.
- "UP: Death list in NRHM scam swells to five after medical officer is killed in car crash". India Today. February 12, 2012.
- "NRHM case accused Sunil Verma kills himself in Lucknow, say police". India Today. 23 January 2012.
- "NRHM scam death list swells to five". Newstrackindia.com. 16 February 2012.