Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences
|U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (2005-2016)|
|Established||15 December 2005 (U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research)|
5 June 2016 (Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences)
|Affiliation||UGC, MCI, DCI, PCI, AICTE, INC|
|Chancellor||Chief Ministers of Uttar Pradesh (ex-officio)|
The Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences, formerly U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, is a medical school and medical research public university located at Saifai in the Etawah District of Uttar Pradesh, India. It came into being after the upgrade of UP Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (established in 2005) by Government of Uttar Pradesh under Act,15 of 2016. As of October 2016, 1 Dr. B. C. Roy Award laureate and 2 Yash Bharti Award laureates have been affiliated with institute/university as faculty or staff.
In 2005, U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, a state run Medical College affiliated with Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur was established in Saifai village, District Etawah, Uttar Pradesh. It was established by UPRIMS&R, Saifai, Act 2005 notified on 15 Dec 2005. M.B.B.S. course started in 2006 and later M.D., M.S. and M.D.S. courses started. Paramedical and Nursing Colleges of Institute started in 2012 and Pharmacy College started in 2015.
In February 2015, Government of Uttar Pradesh started the process of establishing a university of medical sciences in Saifai, Etawah by upgrading existing U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research. On 4 February 2015, the state assembly passed a bill named "Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences, Saifai, Etawah Bill-2015". On 2 May 2016 the Bill was approved and it became a university on 5 June 2016.
- Dr. (Brig.) T. Prabhakar (12 July 2016 - 31 May 2018)
- Prof. (Dr.) Raj Kumar (1 June 2018 – present)
The University is running full-fledged Medical College, Dental College (postgraduate), Paramedical College, Nursing College, Pharmacy College, Multi Specialty 850 bedded hospital and 150 bedded trauma and burn centre. 500 bedded super specialty hospital and 300 bedded Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Paediatrics hospital is being established in the University by Government of Uttar Pradesh.
Constituent colleges include:
- Medical College, founded in 2005 as U.P. Gramin Ayurvigyan Avam Anusandhan Sansthan (U.P. Rural Institute of Medical Sciences and Research in English). It was affiliated with Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University till 2016 with all other constituent colleges except one.
- College of Dentistry(postgraduate), started in the year of 2014 with 2 Postgraduate seats.
- Paramedical Vigyan Mahavidyalaya, proposed in the year of 2006 and started in the year of 2012.
- College of Nursing, started in the year of 2012.
- Pharmacy College Saifai, started in the year of 2015. Unlike other colleges, instead of Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, it was affiliated with Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU) for the academic session of 2015-16. It is only college in whole Uttar Pradesh offering B.Pharm degree as government aided course at present.
- रिम्स सैफई बना आयुर्विज्ञान विश्वविद्यालय. अमर उजाला (in Hindi). 6 June 2016.
- "Professor Rajendra Prasad awarded with Dr. B.C. Roy National Award". indianbureaucracy.com. 6 July 2016.
- "Samajwadi Party government declares its last list of Yash Bharati awardees". timesofindia.com. Times of India. 23 October 2016.
- इन चार डॉक्टरों को भी मिला यश भारती, जानिये मेडिकल क्षेत्र में इनका अचीवमेंट. patrika.com (in Hindi).
- "UP govt to establish medical science university in Saifai". Business Standard. 13 March 2015.
- सैफई मेडिकल यूनिवर्सिटी को गवर्नर का ओके. NBT (in Hindi). 3 May 2016.
- "Affiliated colleges of in Etawah District". www.kanpuruniversity.org. Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "College of Dentistry". www.upums.ac.in. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Paramedical Vigyan Mahavidyalaya". www.upums.ac.in. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "College of Nursing". www.upums.ac.in. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Pharmacy College". www.upums.ac.in. Retrieved 24 June 2018.