Uttara Baokar is an Indian stage, film and television actress. She acted in several notable plays like Padmavati in Mukyhamantri, the Mena in Mena Gurjari, the Desdemona in Shakespeare's Othello, the mother in playwright Girish Karnad's Tughlaq, the nautch girl in Chhote Saiyad Bade Saiyad, the lead role of Umrao in "Umrao Jaan". In 1978, she also directed, Jaywant Dalvi's play Sandhya Chhaya, in Hindi translation by Kusum Kumar. In 1984, She won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, India's National Academy for Acting (Hindi theatre). She has also appeared in Marathi films like, Doghi (1995) with Sadashiv Amrapurkar, Renuka Daftardar, Uttarayan (2005), Shevri (2006) & Restaurant (2006) with Sonali Kulkarani.
Early life and education
- Tamas (1987)
- Ek Din Achanak (1989)
- Udaan (TV series) (1990–1991)
- Rukmavati Ki Haveli (1991)
- The Burning Season (1993)
- Doghi (1995) (Marathi)
- Sardari Begum (1996)
- Thakshak (1999)
- Zindagi Zindabad (2000)
- Kora Kaagaz (2002)
- Vaastupurush (2002) (Marathi)
- Nazarana (2002) (TV series)
- Uttarayan (2003) (Marathi)
- Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (TV series) (2003–2006)
- Shevri (Marathi Film) (2006)
- Kashmakash Zindagi Ki (TV series) (2006–2009)
- Jabb Love Hua (TV series) (2006–2007)
- Restaurant (2006) (Marathi)
- Rishtey (TV series) (Season 2)
- Sins (2005)
- Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006)
- Dor (2006)
- Aaja Nachle (2007)
- 8 x 10 Tasveer (2009)
- Ha Bharat Maza (2011) (Marathi)
- Samhita (2013) (Marathi)
- "Ekkees Toppon Ki Salaami" (2014) as Politician's mother
- 1984 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Acting (Hindi theatre).
- 1988 National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for Ek Din Achanak
- "Of days that were...". The Hindu. Jun 30, 2005.
- "Those lonely sunset days". The Hindu. April 23, 2010.
- "SNA: List of Akademi Awardees". Sangeet Natak Akademi Official website.
- "Marathi cinema gets the sensitive and intelligent film-lover". The Economic Times. 3 May 2008.
- "Theatre is revelation". The Hindu. Feb 24, 2008.
- "Alumni List For The Year 1968". National School of Drama Official website.
- K. Moti Gokulsing; Wimal Dissanayake (17 April 2013). Routledge Handbook of Indian Cinemas. Routledge. pp. 77–. ISBN 978-1-136-77284-9. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Filmography[dead link]
- Nash, Jay Robert (1988). Stanley Ralph Ross, ed. The Motion Picture Guide 1988 Annual: The Films of 1987. Cinebooks. ISBN 0-933997-16-7.
- Brandon, James R.; Martin Banham (1997). Gandhi&lr=&cd=25#v=onepage&q=Shanta%20Gandhi&f=false The Cambridge guide to Asian theatre Check
|url=scheme (help). Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-58822-7.
- Subramanyam, Lakshmi (2002). Gandhi&cd=10#v=onepage&q=Shanta%20Gandhi&f=false Muffled voices: women in modern Indian theatre Check
|url=scheme (help). Har-Anand Publications. ISBN 81-241-0870-6.
- Trivedi, Poonam; Dennis Bartholomeusz (2005). Baokar&lr=&cd=13#v=onepage&q=Uttara%20Baokar&f=false India's Shakespeare: translation, interpretation, and performance International studies in Shakespeare and his contemporaries Check
|url=scheme (help). University of Delaware Press. ISBN 0-87413-881-7.