|Written by||Ajay |
|Directed by||Faheim Inamdar Kunwar Yuwaraj Singh|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||1,549|
|Producer(s)||Kalyan Guha |
|Cinematography||Santosh Suryavanshi |
|Production company(s)||Film Farm India|
|Original network||Colors TV|
|Original release||1 December 2008 –|
16 January 2015
The show starred Tina Dutta, Rashami Desai, Nandish Sandhu/Vikas Bhalla, Rohit Khurana, Gaurav Chopra, Pratima Kazmi, Saurabh Raj Jain/Bharat Chawda, Chaitanya Choudhury, Mrunal Jain, Sreejita De and Ajay Chaudhary. It is one of the longest television series by episode count and ran originally from 2008 to 2015. It is third longest-running Indian television series of Colors TV. This series was dubbed into Tamil as Sindhu Bhairavi on Raj TV and in Malayalam as Valsalyam on Surya TV
Uttaran follows two friends of different economic cultures; Ichha Bharti (Sparsh Khanchandani/Tina Datta), a sweet maidservant's daughter, and Tapasya Thakur (Ishita Panchal/Rashami Desai), the child of a wealthy landlord. Ichha is kind, caring and helpful, while Tapasya is spoilt, selfish and jealous.
The story set in Mumbai starts with Ichha Bharti (Sparsh Khanchandani) and Tapasya Thakur (Ishita Panchal) becoming best friends as Ichha is the daughter of Tapasya's family's maidservant, Damini Bharti (Vaishali Thakkar). The 2 spend much time together and share a sister-like bond despite their different classes until Tapasya's haughty maternal grandmother Sumitra Devi aka Nani (Pratima Kazmi) arrives and manipulates Tapasya to stop being friends with Ichha for the difference of their economic cultures. Tapasya becomes jealous and horrible to Ichha when her mother, Divya Thakur (Pragati Mehra/Pyumori Mehta Ghosh), and her father, Jogi Thakur (Ayub Khan), start loving Ichha as their own daughter. It is revealed that Jogi Thakur is unintentionally responsible for the death of Ragendra Bharti (Iccha's father) which is the reason he takes care of Ichha as his own child. Tapasya intentionally abandons Ichha in a forest on a school trip and her parents decide to put her in a boarding school as punishment, however, she apologises to Ichha and they become best friends again.
12 years later
The story revolves around grown up Tapasya (Rashmi Desai) and Ichha (Tina Datta). A rich man named Veer Singh-Bundela (Nandish Sandhu) comes to visit Thakur Mansion, and falls in love with Ichha. Tapasya starts flirting with him but he rejects her. Veer and Ichha plan to get married but then Tapasya turns psychotic in a jealous rage, cuts herself up and threatens suicide to Ichha and Damini if she doesn't have Veer for herself. Ichha then lets Tapasya pretend to be her on the wedding covered under a veil. Ichha marries Vansh Singh-Bundela (Rohit Khurana) Veer's elder brother, who suffers from drug addiction, to save him. Tapasya's hatred towards Ichha is nourished by her jealousy and she makes numerous unsuccessful attempts of getting rid of her, even by getting her killed. When Vansh finds out Tapasya is responsible for Ichha's sufferings as the latter lives with the man she loves at the same house but can never be with him but is also unable to reciprocate Vansh's feelings towards her, Vansh commits suicide in Tapasya's presence to frame her for his murder and thus, punish her.
Ichha and Tapasya's mother-in-law, Gunvanti Singh-Bundela (Beena Banerjee) develops animosity towards Ichha whom she holds responsible for Veer and Tapasya's marriage (which she is happy about, for the sake of Tapasya's family's wealth) falling apart and for Vansh's death. Eventually, Tapasya's true nature is exposed and she is thrown out of the house.
Sometime after this, Ichha and Veer get married.
Tapasya meets Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore (Gaurav Chopra) the CEO of Rathore Industries and gets pregnant with his child but he separates from Tapasya due to her spoilt and selfish nature without knowing about her pregnancy. Tapasya returns to her in-laws' house, stating to repent for her past mistakes, well Ichha forgives Tapasya, but she does not trusts her. She eventually exposes the truth behind Tapasya's pregnancy and the latter is banished from the Thakur and Singh-Bundela's Mansions for good. She gives birth to a daughter whom she abandons in desperation. The daughter is raised by Veer and Ichha who names her Mukta and then by her maternal grandparents. Ichha and Veer's finally children Yuvraj and Meethi are born. Ichha saves Veer from a cruel man named Avinash Chatterjee (Vikas Sethi) who wants to take revenge on the latter and Ichha for winning the custodial rights over Avinash's nephew/adopted son, Kanha Chatterjee, and also his father's property, by murdering him and is sent to prison.
18 years later
Meethi Singh-Bundela (Tina Datta) Ichha and Veer's daughter, who physically resemble Iccha, and Mukta Rathore (Sreejita De) Tapasya and Raghuvendra's daughter, become best friends just like their mothers. Ichha returns and reunites with her family but is hated by Yuvraj (Saurabh Raj Jain) who has grown up to be spoilt and selfish who blames Iccha for abandoning him, as well as Meethi who grew up believing Iccha was dead and is unable to bear the truth she was actually in jail for murder. Damini, having gained wealth thanks to changed employer-employee contract with the Thakurs, raised Kanha (Chaitanya Choudhury) who is now a successful CEO and happily married to a woman named Surbhi (Pranitaa Pandit). Meethi and whilst Yuvraj was brought up by Gunvanti who took the custody rights over him through deception and brainwashed him against Ichha while Veer (now Vikas Bhalla) has lost his memory post the incident with Avinash and is living with Gunvanti and his new wife, Amla (Sonica Handa) who married him for money. Eventually, Ichha manages to restore Veer's memory and Veer tells Meethi and Yuvraj the circumstances under Ichha went to prison, leading them to accept Ichha as their mother.
Meanwhile, Mukta and Meethi's friendship faces challenges as both of them are trying to win the heart of the same man; their college friend, Aman Verma (Gaurav S Bajaj). Aman eventually chooses Mukta but they never get together as Mukta marries Yuvraj to save the Thakurs from serious financial issues. Meethi and Aman, having realised they are not meant for each other, separate as friends. Mukta slowly begins developing feelings for Yuvraj but he is jailed after attempting to molest Mukta. Ichha arranges Meethi's marriage with Vishnu Kashyap (Mrunal Jain), an orphan she has been looking after in prison. A reformed Tapasya, who has been living in United States from 18 years, also returns, reunites with Ichha and their families, and also with Mukta's father, Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore. It is revealed that Vishnu is actually Akash Chatterjee, Avinash's son, who has married Meethi to avenge his father's death. Meanwhile, Tapasya almost sacrifices her life to save Ichha from Akash's maternal uncle, who shoots Tapasya in the heart. He is later revealed to be Avinash's true murderer, not Ichha.
However, the one who dies is Ichha; fatally hit by a truck, she donates her heart to Tapasya before passing away. The real Vishnu Kashyap (Ajay Chaudhary), a humble blue-collar worker, enters Mukta and Meethi's lives to save Meethi and expose Akash and his family, including Surbhi who is revealed to be Akash's maternal cousin and also participating in her family's plot. Akash's vengeful mother, Ekadashi Chatterjee (Krutika Desai Khan), orders Akash to kill Meethi, but he is unable to do so, only to fall in love with her. After Vishnu exposes the Chattarjees, shattered Meethi, who has also fallen in love with Akash, leaves their house but Akash who is deeply in love with Meethi, vows to win her back. Surbhi, who was thrown out of the house by Kanha, repents for her mistakes (she was forced to help her relatives) and tries to reunite Meethi and Akash. Surbhi, suffering from harsh pregnancy, dies in childbirth.
Shattered Kanha forgives Surbhi and reunites with her on her deathbed, promising to raise their son, later named Ajitesh, as a good and honest person. Meethi and Vishnu get married but soon they get divorced after Meethi realises that Vishnu and Mukta love each other. Mukta and Vishnu get married and later they have a son, Manav Kashyap. After many twists and turns, Meethi and Akash finally reunite and Meethi gets accepted by her in-laws but her dreams are destroyed after having a miscarriage which leaves her infertile. Yuvraj (Bharat Chawda) having undergone a plastic surgery and presenting himself as Yuvaan Singh-Bundela, returns as Mukta's new boss to take revenge. He eventually kidnaps Mukta and threatens to kill her if she doesn't have a 1-night stand with him. While saving her together with Raghuvendra, pregnant Meethi falls and loses her child. She visits Yuvraj in jail and announces him he is dead to her. Meethi is banished by Ekadashi for being childless and leaves for Srinagar.
She is caught up in a terrorist attack, falls into a river and gets flown across the border to Gilgit. There, Meethi is rescued by Aashfaq (Sahel Phull), a simple man who falls in love with her but it is later revealed that his elder brother, Asgar (Krip Suri), was responsible for the attack. Aashfaq helps Meethi escape back to India and bids her a tearful farewell. Finally, Akash and Meethi are united. Meethi adopts Akash's illegitimate daughter, Rani (Arshifa Khan), from his first girlfriend, Nandini (Shriya Jha), who was forced into prostitution. Nandini saves Akash from his old enemy by murdering him and is sent to prison. Meethi and Akash adopt his daughter, Tamanna, but Rani hates Tamanna and refuses to accept her as her sister. Sumitra (now having realised her past mistakes and changed for the better) and Damini are afraid that Tapasya and Ichha's story of love-hate friendship might repeat but eventually manage to convince the girls to reconcile by telling them their story. The series ends with Sumitra and Damini reflecting the everlasting friendship of Ichha-Tapasya and Meethi-Mukta.
- Tina Dutta as Ichha Bharti Singh-Bundela, Damini's daughter, Jogi and Divya's surrogate daughter, Tapasya's best friend, Vansh's widow, Veer's wife and Yuvraj and Meethi's mother (2009-2013), (dead; hit by a truck)
- Tina Dutta as Meethi Singh-Bundela/Meethi Kashyap/Meethi Chatterjee, Veer and Ichha's daughter, Umed and Gunvanti's granddaughter, Mukta's best friend, Vishnu's ex-wife, Akash's wife, Ajitesh's mother and Rani and Tamanna's adopted mother
- Rashami Desai as Tapasya "Tappu" Thakur Singh-Bundela Rathore, Jogi and Divya's daughter, Ichha's best friend, Veer's ex-wife, Raghuvendra's wife and Mukta's mother (2009-2014)
- Nandish Sandhu/Vikas Bhalla as Veer Singh-Bundela
- Ayub Khan as Jogi Thakur, Divya's husband, Tapasya's father, Ichha's surrogate father and Mukta's grandfather (2008-2014)
- Pragati Mehra/Pyumori Mehta as Divya Thakur, Jogi's wife, Tapasya's mother, Ichha's surrogate mother and Mukta's grandmother (2008-2014)
- Pratima Kazmi as Sumitra Devi/Nani, Pushkar's mother, Divya's aunt and Tapasya's surrogate grandmother (2008-2015)
- Vaishali Thakkar as Damini Bharti, a member of the Thakur family's staff, Ichha's mother, Vansh and Veer's mother-in-law respectively and Yuvraj and Meethi's grandmother (2008-2015)
- Rohit Khurana as Vansh Singh-Bundela, Umed and Gunvanti's son, Veer's brother, Ichha's 1st husband, Yuvraj and Meethi's uncle (dead; committed suicide)
- Rocky, an imposter who physically resemble the late Vansh
- Akanksha Awasthi as Rohini Pushkar, Pushkar's wife
- Arun Singh Sharma as Pushkar, Sumitra's son, Divya's cousin and Tapasya's uncle
- Shamim Sheikh as Baldev Singh-Bundela
- Akhil Mishra as Umed Singh-Bundela, Gunvanti's husband, Vansh and Veer's father, Tapasya's ex-father-in-law, Ichha's father-in-law and Yuvraj and Meethi's grandfather (2009-2013)
- Beena Banerjee as Gunvanti Singh-Bundela, Umed's wife, Vansh and Veer's mother, Tapasya's ex-mother-in-law, Ichha's mother-in-law and Yuvraj and Meethi's grandmother (2009-2013)
- Monalika Bhonsle as Chanda
- Pawan Mahendru as Kasa, a member of the Singh-Bundela family's staff
- Saurabh Raj Jain as Yuvraj Singh-Bundela
- Sunil Sinha/Kiran Karmarkar as Tej Singh-Bundela
- Gaurav Chopra as Raghuvendra Pratap Rathore, Tapasya's husband and Mukta's father
- Sreejita De as Mukta Pratap Rathore/Mukta Singh Bundela
- Chaitanya Choudhury as Kanha Chatterjee/Kanha Singh-Bundela
- Praneeta Sahu as Surbhi Chatterjee
- Sonica Handa as Amla
- Rajesh Khera as Maharani
- Gaurav S Bajaj as Aman Verma
- Arun Bali as Godman
- Tiku Talsania as Col Ret. Malhotra
- Krip Suri as Asgar
- Sahel Phull as Aashfaq
- Anchal Sabharwal as Fida
- Bharat Chawda as Yuvaan Singh
- Mrunal Jain as Akash Chatterjee
- Ajay Chaudhary as Vishnu Kashap
- Krutika Desai Khan as Ekadashi Chatterjee
- Varun Toorkey as Sankrant Chatterjee
- Aarti Singh as Kajri Nirbhay Yadav
- Vividha Kirti as Ambika Chatterjee
- Shriya Jha as Chameli
- Rishina Kandhari as Malvika
- Madhura Naik as Nilofer
- Mansi Sharma as Saba
- Samiksha Bhatnagar as Zubieda
- Rakesh Pandey as Ansari Sahab
- Farida Dadi as Anjum Nani
- Nikhil Arya as Inspector Suryakant Tarte
- Sharhaan Singh as Siddarth Verma/Sid
- Aastha Chaudhary as Madhura
- Vikas Sethi as Avinash Mattoo/Avinash Chatterjee
- Sharad Kelkar as Satyaveer
- Shikha Singh as Kuki
- Priya Marathe as Ruby
- Harsha Khandeparkar as Sanchi
- Ishita Panchal as Young Tapasya Thakur
- Sparsh Khanchandani as Young Ichcha Bharti
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- In Nepal (Nepali Language) it began airing on DH Ramailo Tv as "Jadeuri" (Worn Out) at 9:30 PM NST.
- In Azerbaijan (Azerbaijani Language) it began airing on Dalğa TV
- In Pakistan (Hindi language) it began airing on Hum TV with same title in 2010.
- In Kazakhstan (Kazakh Language) it began airing on Astana TV under the title Қыз ғұмыры in 2013 and ended in 2016.
- In South India Tamil Nadu (Tamil Language) it began airing on Raj TV under the title Sindhu Bhairavi
- In Armenia (Armenian Language) it began airing on Shant TV under the title Merjvace (Մերժվածը) in 2016.
- In Indonesia (Indonesian Language) it began airing on ANTV on September 21, 2015. The series ended on September 18, 2016.
- In South India (Malayalam Language) it began airing on Surya TV under the title Valsalyam
- In Sri Lanka, Tamil Language with Sinhala subtitles. In 2014, it began airing on Nethra TV under the title Sindhu Bhairavi (සින්දු භෛරවී).
- In Lithuania (Lithuanian Language) It airs on LNK under the title "Dvi širdys" (English: Two Hearts) in 2017.
- In Romania (Hindi language, Romanian subtitles) it began airing on National TV under the title "Dragoste și Ură", meaning in English "Love and Hate". It started on 11 september 2015 and is currently on air.
- In South Africa, it began airing on Glow TV (DSTV 167, OVHD 108 and StarSat 570) under the title "True Love". It began in September 2017.
- In Turkey (Turkish Language) it began airing Kanal7(1080p60HD TURKSAT)Movie named "Kördüğüm". It is currently on air.
- In Macedonia, it aired on Alsat-M with Albanian subtitles from 2012 till 12 March 2018, where it aired the final episode in a 1-hour special episode.
- In Japan (Japanese Language) it began airing on LaLa TV under the title "着陸". It will begin in 2019 (upcoming).
- In South Korea (Korean Language) it began airing on BtvN under the title "착륙". It will begin in 2019 (upcoming).
- "Uttaran episodes". Uttaran. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Tina Dutta breaks down on last day of 'Uttaran'". Times of India. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Uttaran to end on January 16". Times of India. 1 January 2015. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Uttaran actor Sahel Phull to star opposite actress Nia Sharma". ABP News. 20 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tina Dutta hosts a 'Uttaran' reunion at her place". Times of India. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tina Datta Goes Bold for a Calendar Shoot, Poses with a Nude Model". India.com]. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "Pratigya and Uttaran in a TRP tussle". Times of India. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Vansh to enter Uttaran again?". Times of India. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Uttaran and Bandini actor Mrunal Jain gives marriage tips to fans". Hindustan Times. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Odbačena krenula na Astana TV". Astana.kz. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Նոյեմբերի առաջին տասնօրյակում Հայաստանում ամենաբարձր դիտելիությունն ունեցել է "Շանթ" հեռուստաընկերությունը". National.am. November 14, 2016. Retrieved November 27, 2016.