|Region of Andhra Pradesh|
Uttarandhra region in Andhra Pradesh is Highlighted in the map
|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
Uttarandhra is a region consisting of three Uttarandhra districts of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. The Uttarandhra region comprises the districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts. The region is in the extreme Northeast of Andhra Pradesh. The region is skirted to a distance by Kandivalasagedda, Vamsadhara and Bahuda at certain stretches of their courses white a line of heights of the great Eastern Ghats run from North East. East Godavari District flanks in the south and west while Odisha bounds it on the north and Bay of Bengal on the East. Visakhapatnam is the largest city of the region in terms of population and area.
It is also referred as Kalingandhra.
South West Monsoon : 1000–1100 mm. Temperatures range from Max. 33-36 °C & Min. 26-27 °C. Red soils and Black soils with clay base,Pockets of acidic soils, laterite soils, Soils with PH 4-5.
Nagavali River rises in the eastern slopes of the Eastern Ghats near Lakhbahal in the Kalahandi district of Odisha at an elevation of about 1,300 metres.The total length of the river is about 256 km, of which 161 km are in Odisha and the rest in Andhra Pradesh. The catchment area of the basin is 9,510 square km. Nagavali is an interstate river with 4462 km2 and 5048 km2 river basin area located in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh respectively. The river basin receives 1000 mm average rain fall annually. The uplands of the river basin are hilly areas with predominantly tribal populated. It drains parts of the Kalahandi, Rayagada and Koraput districts of Odisha and Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts of Andhra Pradesh.
Vamsadhara River originates in the border of Thuamul Rampur in the Kalahandi district and Kalyansinghpur in Rayagada district of Odisha and runs for a distance of about 254 kilometers, where it joins the Bay of Bengal at Kalingapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The total catchement area of the river basin is about 10,830 square kilometers.
Major crops grown in this region are
Rice, Black gram, Green gram, Groundnut, Sugarcane, Sesame, Pearl millet, Mesta, finger millets, Horse gram. This region is home to many co-operative sugar factories,jute mills,cashew processing industries. Visakha Dairy is second biggest co-operative dairy in India.
Visakhapatnam is the biggest city of the region and is placed 10th among the top 15 cities contributing to India's overall Gross domestic product. The industrial city, Visakhapatnam has contributed a GDP of $26 billion. The city is home for various state owned heavy industries and a steel plant, a leading Central PSU under the Ministry of Steel is the first shore based Integrated Steel Plant in the country. Apart from accommodating various international information technologies and banking firms, the city is a hub for iron ore and other minerals which are exported to China and other countries. The fishing and real estate industry has seen a tremendous growth.
Palasa-Kasibugga is the center of cashew industries in the Srikakulam district. There are around 200 cashew processing industries around Palasa town. These twin towns are the largest cashew producing towns of Andhra Pradesh and are among the largest processing centres in India. The cashew industry provides direct and indirect employment to about 15,000 people in the surrounding areas.
Ponduru hand-loom where the finest khadi is woven. Khadi from Ponduru is famous among Khadi lovers of the entire country. Mahatma Gandhi is also said to have been surprised at the finesse of the Khadi produced here and he always preferred khadi from this village. Khadi from this region is exported to various countries like America, Denmark, Japan and Sweden.
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University, Srikakulam.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University College of Engineering, Vizianagaram.
- GITAM University, Visakhapatnam
- Damodaram Sanjeeviah National University of Law, Visakhapatnam
- Indian Maritime University Campus,Visakhapatnam.
- Andhra Medical College, established in 1902.
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences Srikakulam town.
Cuisine of this area still has its own distinctive flavours and unique taste, while it shares many similarities with the Andhra region cuisine. The people of this region like to eat many of their foods really sweet unlike other regions of Andhra Pradesh. They often cook lentils in jaggery (referred to as bellam pappu) enjoyed with butter and steamed rice.
They cook vegetables in gravies of menthipettina kura (fenugreek seed paste), avapettina kura (mustard seed paste), nuvvugunda kura (sesame seed paste), etc.. Ullikaram is another popular dish where vegetables or corn seeds are flavored in shallots or onion paste.
Poori and Patoli is a favorite breakfast time or festive time dish. Patoli is soaked up split black chickpeas (senagapappu or chana dal) ground to a coarse paste and seasoned in coriander seeds, onions and at times with cluster beans (goruchikkudu kayi). Uppupindi is coarsely broken rice upma steamed with vegetables and tempering seeds. This dish is had during festive days when people would fast during the day and have it at night.
Inguva charu is a stew popular among adults and kids,is a sour and sweet stew made with tamarind and asafoetida (inguva) It can be had with rice or uppupindi. Bellam pulusu is another highly flavored thick sweet stew made out of rice flour, jaggery (cane sugar), corn cobs and whole Shallots.
The pickles in this region varies from other regions of Andhra Pradesh. They sun-dry mango pieces with mustard powder, red pepper powder and salt soaked in sesame oil, to give the pickle extended shelf life, and the result is a darker hue and sweeter taste. This method is followed to prevent spoiling despite the high moisture from the Bay of Bengal coast.
- Tenneti Viswanadham (Freedom fighter and politician)
- Kandala Subrahmanyam (Indian lawyer, Socialist leader, Indian freedom activist and Parliamentarian)
- Gouthu Latchanna (veteran freedom fighter)
- Gurajada Apparao (Social reformer)
- Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu (violinist)
- Srirangam Srinivasarao (Poet)
- Ajjada Adibhatla Narayana Dasu ( poet, musician, dancer, linguist and philosopher)
- Rachakonda Viswanatha Sastry (Writer)
- Lanka Sundaram (Indian parliamentarian and an expert in international law)
- Lieutenant Colonel Sir Vijay Ananda Gajapathi Raju (a.k.a. Maharajkumar of Vizianagram) (Indian cricketer)
- P. Susheela ( Padma Bhushan awarded Singer)
- Vulimiri Ramalingaswami FNASC, FRAMS, FRS (London) (Eminent pathologist and Ex Director AIIMS New Delhi and ICMR)
- Padma Sri Hilda Mary Lazarus B.A., MBBS, FRCS (Christian missionary and popular gynecologist and obstetrician)
- Vaddadi Papaiah (artist)
- Mahamahopadhyaya, Padma Bhushan Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana (classical vocalist and musicologist)
- Kotcherlakota Rangadhama Rao (Indian physicist best known for his work on Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR))
- G.Anand (cine playback singer & music director)
- Sirivennela Sitaramasastri (Cine Lyricist)
- John Louis Nayar (Abhinava Saigal)(freedom-fighter, physician, singer, dancer and a humorist),
- Pingali Nagendrarao (legendary script writer, playwright and lyricist)
- Aarudhra (poet, lyricist, songwriter, translator & writer)
- Padma Bhushan Sripada Pinakapani (medical doctor, administrator, professor in medicine, and carnatic musician)
- Kodi Rammurthy Naidu (Indian bodybuilder, Kaliyugi Bhima)
- Devika Rani (Veteran Indian actress)
- Chaganti Somayajulu (Telugu story writers)
- Mallikarjuna Rao (Tollywood actor)
- Karnam Malleswari (Indian weightlifter, Olympic medallist)
- Grandhi Mallikarjuna Rao (founder chairman of GMR Group)
- J.V. Somayajulu (Indian theatre & film actor)
- Padmasri Dr. Kutikuppala Surya Rao (Padma Shri recipient, medical and health services)
- Pujari Sailaja (Indian weightlifting)
- Killi Appala Naidu (freedom fighter)
- H J Dora (Vigilance Commissioner, Central Vigilance Commission)
Anglo Indians Born in Uttarandhra
- Edward Hay Mackenzie Elliot ( Governor of New Zealand)
- Arthur Luard (English cricketer)
- George William Forbes Playfair (British businessman and member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong)
Visakhapatnam city has a range of tourist attractions including beaches, cliffs, hilltop parks facing the sea, a beach road, a zoological park and wildlife sanctuary, a submarine museum, hill stations, limestone caves, mountain ranges and valleys. Araku Valley is a hill station.
Religious destinations include Simhachalam, Arasavalli sun temple, Mukhalingam, ISKCON temple, Buddhist shrines at Salihundam, Danthavarapukota (Dantapuri) in Srikakulam district, Ramatheertham, Pavurallakonda, Thotlakonda, Bavikonda, Bojjannakonda (Sankaram), Kotturu Dhanadibbalu, Gopalapatnam in Visakhapatnam district.
National Highway 5 National Highway 43 passes through most of the Uttarandhra towns.am]] and Salur. The East Coast Railway serves Srikakulam, Vizianagaram District, and part of Visakhapatnam district including Visakhapatnam City and remaining under South Central Railway zone. Visakhapatnam Airport is a customs airport situated in the region. Visakhapatnam Port, Gangavaram Port are the major seaports. Some minor ports are at Bhavanapadu, Kalingapatnam, Bheemunipatnam.
Some of notable political leaders elected from this region are
Konathala Ramakrishna had been elected twice as the ninth and tenth Member of Parliament (MP), of Anakapalli Lok Sabha Parliamentary Constituency of Andhra Pradesh and as MLA for Anakapalli in the recently conducted general elections 2004 and he has been honored with ministerial portfolios - Department of Commercial Taxes, State Excise and Prohibition and Department of Law & Court.
Daggubati Purandeswari was elected for Visakhapatnam constituency in the 15th Lok Sabha of India and served as Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industries.
- "Andhra Pradesh Fact Sheet".
- "Uttarandhra in a State of Plenty, Penury". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- Nagavali River
- Vamsadhara River
- "Agro Climatic Regions in Andhra Pradesh".
- Sat 3 Nov, 2012, 8:24 PM IST - India Markets closed (2012-09-28). "India's top 15 cities with the highest GDP Photos | Pictures - Yahoo! India Finance". In.finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Hindustan Shipyard
- Visakhapatnam Refinery
- "Visakhadairy-Home Page".
- ":: Welcome to Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India - 530 003 ::".
- "Welcome :: Dr.B.R.Ambedkar University, Srikakulam, AP. INDIA".
- "JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY KAKINADA".
- "Home - DSNLU". DSNLU.
- "WELCOME TO INDIAN MARITIME UNIVERSITY".
- Telugu cuisine#Uttarandhra
- "Telugu Cinema Etc - Idlebrain.com".
- "The Hindu : A versatile personality".
- "Vizagites 'dil toot gaya' - Bay News – Vizag News Online".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Kutikuppala Suryarao ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Boddepalli Satyavati ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Killi Appala Naidu ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: H J Dora ::".
- National Highway 43 (India)
- "For Andhra Pradesh Department of Ports".
- Boddepalli Rajagopala Rao
- Kinjarapu Yerran Naidu
- Kishore Chandra Deo
- Killi Krupa Rani