|Region of Andhra Pradesh|
Uttar Andhra region in Andhra Pradesh is Highlighted in the map
|• Total||23,537 km2 (9,088 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
Uttarandhra (also known as Kalinga Andhra) is a region consisting of three North coastal districts of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. The Uttarandhra region comprises the districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam. As of 2011 Census of India, the region with three districts as a population of 93,32,060.
The region is in the extreme Northeast of Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. The region is skirted to a distance by Kandivalasagedda, Vamsadhara and Bahuda at certain stretches of their courses white a line of heights of the great Eastern Ghats run from North East. East Godavari District flanks in the southwest while Odisha bounds it on the north and Bay of Bengal on the South and the East. Visakhapatnam is the largest city of the region in terms of population and area.However Uttarandhra is a part of Coastal Andhra region
- 1 Etymology
- 2 Parliament Constituencies
- 3 Geography
- 4 Economy
- 5 Education
- 6 Culture
- 7 Notable personalities
- 8 Tourism
- 9 Religious Destinations
- 10 Transport
- 11 See also
- 12 References
As these districts are northern geographically hence the name Uttarandhra
The parliament constituencies of Uttar Andhra are
South West Monsoon : 1000–1100 mm. Temperatures range from Max. 33-36 °C & Min. 26-27 °C. Red soils and Black soils with clay base, Pockets of acidic soils, laterite soils, Soils with PH 4-5.
Nagavali River rises in the eastern slopes of the Eastern Ghats near Lakhbahal in the Kalahandi district of Odisha at an elevation of about 1,300 metres.The total length of the river is about 256 km, of which 161 km are in Odisha and the rest in Andhra Pradesh. The catchment area of the basin is 9,510 square km. Nagavali is an interstate river with 4462 km2 and 5048 km2 river basin area located in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh respectively. The river basin receives 1000 mm average rain fall annually. The uplands of the river basin are hilly areas with predominantly tribal populated. It drains parts of the Kalahandi, Rayagada and Koraput districts of Odisha and Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts of Andhra Pradesh.
Vamsadhara River originates in the border of Thuamul Rampur in the Kalahandi district and Kalyansinghpur in Rayagada district of Odisha and runs for a distance of about 254 kilometers, where it joins the Bay of Bengal at Kalingapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The total catchement area of the river basin is about 10,830 square kilometers.
Major crops grown in this region are
Rice, Black gram, Green gram, Groundnut, Sugarcane, Sesame, Pearl millet, Mesta, finger millets, Horse gram. This region is home to many co-operative sugar factories, jute mills, cashew processing industries. Visakha Dairy is second biggest co-operative dairy in India.
Visakhapatnam is the biggest city of the region and is placed 10th among the top 15 cities contributing to India's overall Gross domestic product. The industrial city, Visakhapatnam has contributed a GDP of $26 billion. The city is home for various state owned heavy industries and a steel plant.
- Visakhapatnam Steel Plant a leading Central PSU under the Ministry of Steel is the first shore based Integrated Steel Plant in the country.
- Visakhapatnam Port is one of the major port in India.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited is one of the two oil refineries of HPCL in India
- Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) is a shipyard located in Visakhapatnam on the east coast of India.
- Naval Dockyard (Visakhapatnam)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Visakhapatnam
- Gangavaram Port, Visakhapatnam
- Simhadri Super Thermal Power Station
Visakhapatnam is also fast merging as an IT and Start-Up hub in the region. The government is working towards convincing Blue-Chip multinational companies to setup their offices in Visakhapatnam.
Anakapalle is a trade hub 36 km from Visakhapatnam city and is very famous for the huge Jaggery Market. Anakapalle Jaggery is considered to be one of the most durable and tastiest varieties in the country.
Palasa-Kasibugga is the center of cashew industries in the Srikakulam district. There are around 200 cashew processing industries around Palasa town. These twin towns are the largest cashew producing towns of Andhra Pradesh and are among the largest processing centres in India. The cashew industry provides direct and indirect employment to about 15,000 people in the surrounding areas.
Ponduru hand-loom where the finest khadi is woven. Khadi from Ponduru is famous among Khadi lovers of the entire country. Mahatma Gandhi is also said to have been surprised at the finesse of the Khadi produced here and he always preferred khadi from this village. Khadi from this region is exported to various countries like America, Denmark, Japan and Sweden.
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar University, Srikakulam
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada, Vizianagaram
- GITAM University, Visakhapatnam
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam
- Indian Maritime University, Visakhapatnam
- Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences Srikakulam.
- Great Eastern Medical School and Hospital, Srikakulam.
- Gitam Medical Science and Research, Visakhapatnam
- Indian Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy, Visakhapatnam
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cuisine of this area still has its own distinctive flavours and unique taste, while it shares many similarities with the Andhra region cuisine.While Visakhapatnam district has its own distinct Dialect and Cuisine which is closer to the rest of Andhra, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam have a slight difference in taste compared to rest of Andhra.
Visakhapatnam has a different dialect and cuisine compared to vizianagaram and Srikakulam.
Mostly in Vizianagaram and Srikakulam, they like to eat many of their foods really sweet unlike other regions of Andhra Pradesh. While most of the cuisine is very spicy, they often cook lentils in jaggery (referred to as Bellam pappu) enjoyed with butter and steamed rice.
They cook vegetables in gravies of Menthipettina Kura (Fenugreek seed paste), Avapettina Kura(mustard seed paste), Nuvvugunda Kura (sesame seed paste), etc. Ullikaram is another popular dish where vegetables or corn seeds are flavored in shallots or onion paste.
While regular Andhra fare like Idli, Dosa, Upma, Poori etc.. are common in the region, Pesarattu topped with onions and ginger, served with allam chutney is a favourite Breakfast item. Pesara Punugulu with ulli chutney is a popular item in visakha region. Patoli is a favorite breakfast time or festive time dish in Srikakulam. Patoli is soaked up split black chickpeas (Senagapappu or Chana Dal) ground to a coarse paste and seasoned in coriander seeds, onions and at times with cluster beans (Goruchikkudukayi). Uppupindi is coarsely Broken Rice upma steamed with vegetables and tempering seeds. This dish is had during festive days when people would fast during the day and have it at night.
Inguva charu is a stew popular among adults and kids, is a sour and sweet stew made with Tamarind and Asafoetida (Inguva) It can be had with rice or uppupindi. Bellam pulusu is another highly flavored thick sweet stew made out of rice flour, Jaggery (cane sugar), corn cobs and whole Shallots. Madugula Halwa is a very unique and famous variety of Halwa from Visakha region.
- Alluri Sitarama Raju (Freedom fighter)
- Tenneti Viswanadham (Freedom fighter and politician)
- Kandala Subrahmanya Tilak (Indian lawyer, Socialist leader, Indian freedom activist and Parliamentarian)
- Gouthu Latchanna (veteran freedom fighter)
- Gurajada Apparao (Social reformer)
- Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu (violinist)
- Gidugu Venkata Ramamoorty (doyen of Spoken Telugu movement)
- Srirangam Srinivasarao (Poet)
- Aarudhra (poet, lyricist, songwriter, translator & writer)
- Ajjada Adibhatla Narayana Dasu ( poet, musician, dancer, linguist and philosopher)
- Rachakonda Viswanatha Sastry (Writer)
- Lanka Sundaram (Indian parliamentarian and an expert in international law)
- Lieutenant Colonel Sir Vijay Ananda Gajapathi Raju (a.k.a. Maharajkumar of Vizianagram) (Indian cricketer)
- P. Susheela ( Padma Bhushan awarded Singer)
- Gollapudi Maruti Rao
- Sirivennela Sitaramasastri (Cine Lyricist)
- Sarath Babu (tollywoood movie actor)
- Ramana Gogula
- Grandhi Mallikarjuna Rao (founder chairman of GMR Group)
- Kodi Rammurthy Naidu (Indian bodybuilder, Kaliyugi Bhima)
- Karnam Malleswari (Indian weightlifter, Olympic medallist)
- Puripanda Appalswamy, (Writer and Poet)
- Tha DhrmaRao, Writer)
- Prof K.S.Chalam, Member, (Union Public Service Commission, Former V.C, Dravidian University and writer)
- Kalipatnam Raarao, Kathanilayam)
- Balivada KanthaRao, writer)
- Korra Mallyya, (Freedom Fighter)
- Visakha Varman, (King of Madhya Kalinga)
- Chaganti Somayajulu (Telugu story writers)
- Vulimiri Ramalingaswami FNASC, FRAMS, FRS (London) (Eminent pathologist and Ex Director AIIMS New Delhi and ICMR)
- Padma Sri Hilda Mary Lazarus B.A., MBBS, FRCS (Christian missionary and popular gynecologist and obstetrician)
- Vaddadi Papaiah (artist)
- Mahamahopadhyaya, Padma Bhushan Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana (classical vocalist and musicologist)
- Kotcherlakota Rangadhama Rao (Indian physicist best known for his work on Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR))
- John Louis Nayar (Abhinava Saigal)(freedom-fighter, physician, singer, dancer and a humorist),
- Pingali Nagendrarao (legendary script writer, playwright and lyricist)
- Padma Bhushan Sripada Pinakapani (medical doctor, administrator, professor in medicine, and carnatic musician)
- Padmasri Dr. Kutikuppala Surya Rao (Padma Shri recipient, medical and health services)
- Pujari Sailaja (Indian weightlifting)
- Killi Appala Naidu (freedom fighter)
- H J Dora (Vigilance Commissioner, Central Vigilance Commission)
- Raja Abel (tollywoood movie actor)
- Rashmi Gautam (tollywood movie actress)
- Anisha Ambrose (tollywood movie actress)
- Ipsita Pati (actress)
- Zarina Wahab (actress)
- Devika Rani (Indian film actress)
- Mallikarjuna Rao (Tollywood actor)
- G.Anand (cine playback singer and music director)
- J.V. Somayajulu (Indian theatre and film actor)
Anglo Indians Born in Uttarandhra
- Edward Hay Mackenzie Elliot ( Governor of New Zealand)
- Arthur Luard (English cricketer)
- George William Forbes Playfair (British businessman and member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong)
Visakhapatnam city has a range of tourist attractions including beaches, hilltop parks facing the sea, a beach road, a zoological park and wildlife sanctuary, a submarine museum, hill stations, limestone caves, mountain ranges and valleys. Araku Valley is a hill station.
NH16 and NH 26 passes through most of the Uttarandhra towns. The East Coast Railway serves Srikakulam, Vizianagaram District, and part of Visakhapatnam district including Visakhapatnam City and remaining under South Central Railway zone. Visakhapatnam Airport is a customs airport situated in the region. Visakhapatnam Port, Gangavaram Port are the major seaports. Some minor ports are at Bhavanapadu, Kalingapatnam, Bheemunipatnam.
- "Uttarandhra in a State of Plenty, Penury". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 September 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Nagavali River
- Vamsadhara River
- "Agro Climatic Regions in Andhra Pradesh".
- Sat 3 Nov 2012, 8:24 PM IST - India Markets closed (2012-09-28). "India's top 15 cities with the highest GDP Photos | Pictures - Yahoo! India Finance". In.finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Visakhapatnam Refinery
- Hindustan Shipyard
- "Visakhadairy-Home Page".
- "Telugu Cinema Etc - Idlebrain.com".
- "The Hindu : A versatile personality".
- "Vizagites 'dil toot gaya' - Bay News – Vizag News Online".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Kutikuppala Suryarao ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Boddepalli Satyavati ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: Killi Appala Naidu ::".
- ":: Kalinga World :: H J Dora ::".
- National Highway 43 (India)
- "For Andhra Pradesh Department of Ports".