Utu Utu Gwaitu Paiute Tribe of the Benton Paiute Reservation
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|traditional tribal religion, Christianity, Sun Dance, Native American Church|
|Related ethnic groups|
The Utu Utu Gwaitu Paiute Tribe has a federal reservation in Mono County, ten miles (16 km) from the Nevada border called the Benton Paiute Reservation ( ) in Benton, California. The reservation is 400 acres (1.6 km2) large that is held in Trustee status and another 67 acres held in fee simple status. Approximately 50 tribal members on the reservation. The reservation was established on July 22, 1915. The nearest incorporated city is Bishop, which lies about 40 miles (64 km) to the south. About the same distance to the west is Mammoth Lakes, although there is no direct road leading there.
The tribe identifies as being Owens Valley Paiute. Tribal enrollment is open to people with one-quarter Paiute blood quantum, either from the Benton area or descended from original enrollees. Other Owens Valley Paiute can be adopted into the tribe, as approved by a five-person enrollment committee.
The current tribal administration is as follows:
- Chairwoman: Tina Braithwaite
- Vice-Chairman: Shane Saulque
- Secretary/Treasurer: Vacant
- Council Person: Michelle Saulque
- Council Member: Cecil Rambeau
- Chief Arbitrator: Joseph Saulque
The tribe unanimously voted on their constitution on November 22, 1975 and ratified it on January 20, 1976.
- Pritkzer, 227
- California Indians and Their Reservations. Archived 2009-02-05 at the Wayback Machine San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009 (retrieved 5 May 2010)
- Rusco and Rusco, 566
- "Tribal Governments by Tribe." National Congress of American Indians. (retrieved 5 May 2010)
- "Enrollment Ordiance." Utu Utu Gawitu Paiute Tribe. (retrieved 5 May 2010)
- "Tribal Council." Utu Utu Gawitu Paiute Tribe. (retrieved 5 May 2010)
- "Geothermal development possible for Benton area?" The Inyo Register. 2 March 2010 (retrieved 5 May 2010)
- Liljeblad and Fowler, 433
- Liljeblad, Sven and Fowler, Catherine S. "Owens Valley Paiute." Handbook of North American Indians: Great Basin, Volume 11. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1986. ISBN 978-0-16-004581-3.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Rusco, Elmer R. and Mary K. Rusco. "Tribal Politics." Handbook of North American Indians: Great Basin, Volume 11. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1986. ISBN 978-0-16-004581-3.
- Benton Paiute Tribe, official website