|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Titles: al-Qarani Arabic: القرني|
|Birthplace||Yemen (594 AD)|
|Known For||Being a loyal companion of Muhammad and Ali |
|Burial Place||al-Raqqah, Syria|
|Cause of Death||Killed in the Battle of Siffeen|
|Influenced||Saints of the Uwaisi tradition|
|Revered by||Sunnis, Sufis, and Shias|
Uwais al-Qarani Arabic: أويس بن انيس القرني, a was an Arab, Muslim, mystic, martyr, and philosopher from Yemen. He lived during the lifetime of Muhammad, but never met Muhammad personally. As reported by Ibn Battuta, Uwais was killed in the Battle of Siffeen as a soldier in Imam Ali's army. Uwais's shrine where he is buried was in al-Raqqah, Syria before it was destroyed by radical Islamists in 2013. Another shrine was constructed in his honor in Baykan, in the Siirt Province of Turkey.
Uwais's father, Abdullah, was a strong Muslim believer and died when Uwais was young. Not long after a meeting with Ali, Uwais al-Qarani left Qaran for Kufa, Iraq. He was considered one of Shian e Ali (companion of Ali and one who followed the teachings of Ali) in his time, in addition he fought for Ali against Muawiyah I at the Battle of Siffeen in 657 AD.
Damage of Uwais's Tomb
On March 11, 2013 unidentified militants bombed and heavily damaged the tombs of Uwais al-Qarani and Ammar ibn Yasir located in al-Raqqah.
|The Eight Ascetics|
The Uwaisi form of Islamic mysticism was named after Uwais al-Qarani, as it refers to the transmission of spiritual knowledge between two individuals without the need for physical interaction between them.
- "Desecration of the Shrines of the Companions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw)– Ammar Ibn Yassir and Uwais Al-Qarani in Raqqa, Syria." World Federation. N.p., 05 Aug. 2013. Web. 25 Aug. 2013. <http://www.world-federation.org/Secretariat/Articles/Desecration_graves_companions_Holy_Prophet_Muhammad_SAW_Ammar_ibn_Yassir_Uwais_alQarani_Raqq_Syria.htm>.
- "Militants Blow up Muslim Shrine in Syria's Raqqa." PressTV. N.p., 12 Mar. 2013. Web. 02 Aug. 2013. <http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/03/12/293239/militants-destroy-muslim-shrine-in-syria/>
- Beale, Oriental Bibliotheca
- "The Moment Isis Detonated a More Than 500 Year old Shrine". 30 May 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Encyclopedia of Islam, Owais Karni
- Attar, Muslim Saints and Mystics, trans. A.J. Arberry, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1983
- Film on Uwais Al Qarani subtitled by Al-Masumeen.com
- Maktab Tarighat Oveyssi Shahmaghsoudi (School of Islamic Sufism)
- The Extreme Mourning of Uwais al-Qarni, Shia Website
- Islamic Sufism Genealogy, November 2004, Tehran University Publications
- The Uwaisi Transmission of Spiritual Knowledge (Naqshbandi-Haqqani website)
- About Uwais al-Qarni, from "The Children Around the Table of Allah," by Shaykh Muhammad Sa'id al-Jamal ar-Rifa'i
- Uwais Qarni(رضي الله عنه)
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
|Database entry Q7241 on Wikidata|
|Wikilivres has original media or text related to this article:|