Uwe Rosenberg (born 27 March 1970) is a German game designer and the co-founder of Lookout Games. He initially become known for his card game Bohnanza, which is successful both in Germany and internationally. He also designed Agricola, a genre-changing game that dethroned Puerto Rico as the highest rated game on BoardGameGeek.com in September 2008 and stayed at the top of the rankings until March 2010.
Rosenberg is well known for the development of complex, economic eurogames, as well as innovative card game mechanisms. Many of his designs have been recognized as being excellent for solitary play.
Born in Aurich, Germany, Rosenberg first began to occupy himself with the development and mechanisms of games at the age of 12. He published a number of play-by-mail games during his school years. When he was a student, Amigo published his first major success, Bohnanza. Since finishing his statistics studies in Dortmund (the subject of his thesis was "Probability distributions in Memory"), his main occupation is the development of games.
In 2000, he founded the publishing company Lookout Games, together with a few other authors. It published a number of expansions to Bohnanza, partly in cooperation with Hanno Girke. Larger projects were at first published at other publishers, such as Amigo and Kosmos.
Since 2005, Rosenberg has concentrated mostly on complex strategy games with an economic theme: his first, Agricola, was released in October 2007, went on to win a Spiel des Jahres special award for the best complex game of 2008, and has become a staple in the European game subgenre of worker placement games. A second game in this series, Le Havre, was published in October 2008. His highest rated game is currently Caverna, which was rated fifth on BoardGameGeek.com as of November 2016.
He married Susanne Balders on 18 May 2007. He lives in Gütersloh and works at his studio in Dortmund.
- Bohnanza (1997)
- Babel (2000)
- Agricola (2007)
- Le Havre (2008)
- At the Gates of Loyang (2009)
- Merkator (2010)
- Ora et Labora (2011)
- Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (2012)
- Le Havre: The Inland Port (2012)
- Caverna (2013)
- Glass Road (2013)
- Patchwork (2014)
- Fields of Arle (2014)
- A Feast for Odin (2016)
- Cottage Garden (2016)
- Law, Keith (2016-03-01). "The Boardgames of Toy Fair 2016". Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- Zimmerman, Aaron (2016-03-06). "Table for one: How to play board games without a group". Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- Krause, Daniel (2016-10-19). "45 Minuten mit Uwe Rosenberg". www.brettspiel-news.de (in German). Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- Autobiography at BoardGameGeek
- Baldwin, Matthew (2015-12-07). "The 2015 Good Gift Games". Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- Woods, Stuart (2009). Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games. McFarland. ISBN 0786467975.
- "Top Board Games". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 2016-11-09.