B Group at Uxbenka
Uxbenka (or Uxbenká in Spanish orthography) is a pre-Columbian Mesoamerican archaeological site located in Belize's southernmost district of Toledo. An urban settlement of the pre-Columbian Maya, it is the earliest-known Maya polity in the southern Belizean lowlands, with evidence of occupation dating to the Early Classic period of Mesoamerican chronology (ca. 250–500 CE). It is one of five major Maya sites in this region, whose archaeological sites also include Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun. Settlement of Uxbenka has been suggested to have occurred originally by Peten peoples.
- "Introduction", Prufer (2005).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uxbenka.|
- "Cleveland State Archaeologist and Former Student Unearths New Discoveries in Southern Belize". Cleveland State Today. CSU Department of Marketing and Public Affairs. 2005-12-09. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- Leventhal, Richard M. (1992). "The Development of a Regional Tradition in Southern Belize". In Danien, Elin C.; Sharer, Robert J. New Theories on the Ancient Maya. University Museum Monograph series, #77. Philadelphia: University Museum, University of Pennsylvania. pp. 145–154. ISBN 0-924171-13-8. OCLC 25510312.
- Prufer, Keith M. (2005). "Report of the Uxbenká Archaeological Project (UAP) - 2005 Field Season". The Foundation Granting Department: Reports Submitted to FAMSI. Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. (FAMSI). Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- Prufer, Keith M. (2007). "The Uxbenká Archaeological Project (UAP) 2006 Field Season" (with contributions by Andrew Kindon, Holley Moyes, Douglas Kennett, Kevin Cannariato, Shoshaunna Parks, Bethany Myers, Charles Mustain, and Nancy Komulainen). The Foundation Granting Department: Reports Submitted to FAMSI. Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. (FAMSI). Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- Wanyerka, Phillip J. (1996). "The Carved Monuments of Uxbenka, Toledo District, Belize". Mexicon. Berlin: K.-F. von Flemming, Internationale Gesellschaft für Mesoamerika-Forschung. 18 (2): 29–35. ISSN 0720-5988. OCLC 5821915.
- Wanyerka, Phillip J. (2004). "The Southern Belize Epigraphic Project: The Hieroglyphic Inscriptions of Southern Belize". The Foundation Granting Department: Reports Submitted to FAMSI. Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. (FAMSI). Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "The Archaeological Wonders of Belize: A Visit to Uxbenka", article with photos on Uxbenka at BELIZEmagazine.com (July 2005)