Västergarn and Stora Mafrids
The old fortress at Västergarn Church
|• Total||12.20 km2 (4.71 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Västergarn is a populated area, a socken (not to be confused with parish), on the Swedish island of Gotland. It comprises the same area as the administrative Västergarn District, established on 1 January 2016.
Västergarn is the name of the socken as well as the district, sometimes referred to as Västergarn and Stora Mafrids in official documentation after an administrative merger of the two settlements. Västergarn is also the name of the small village surrounding the medieval Västergarn Church, sometimes referred to as Västergarn kyrkby. Västergarn is situated on the central west coast of Gotland. As of 2019[update], Västergarn Church belongs to Sanda-Västergarn-Mästerby parish in Klinte pastorat, along with the churches in Sanda and Mästerby.
Right by the coast road in Västergarn is one of Gotland's smallest museums (Gotlandic, slightly eccentric music group Smaklösa. The name literally means "Flavourless", but also "Tasteless" or "Tacky". The latter meaning is intended here as indicated by the name of their own record label "Tasteless Records". Since their start in 1973, the band has achieved cult status with dedicated followers both on and off the island. The band is known for its cleverly phrased lyrics, distaste for rehearsals and odd places to perform. They often make fun of other music events or shows and interpret things their own way. In 2006, they received Gotland Municipality's Culture Award.). Lodged in an old gas station, it is dedicated to the
On 28 July 1978, Swedish astronomer Claes-Ingvar Lagerkvist discovered an asteroids in the asteroid belt, which he named 7545 Smaklösa, after the band. A summer resident on Gotland, Lagerkvist has stated that he is an avid Smaklösa fan.
- Carlquist, Gunnar, ed. (1947–1955). "Västergarns socken". Svensk Uppslagsbok (in Swedish) (2nd ed.). Malmö: Förlagshuset Norden.
- "Gotland i siffror 2015" [Gotland in numbers 2015]. www.gotland.se. Gotland Municipality. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- The exact extent of the socken, now district, can be obtained by clicking on Kartinställningar and check the Socken box in the menu of this map from the Swedish National Heritage Board database.
- "Förordning om district" [Regulation of districts] (PDF). Ministry of Finance. 17 June 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Jacobsson, Britta; Johansson, Eva; Johansson, Per; Andersson, Rolf (1990). Våra kyrkor [Our churches] (in Swedish). Västervik: Klarkullens förlag AB. p. 680. ISBN 91-971561-0-8. SELIBR 7794694.
- "Västergarn". www.ne.se. Nationalencyklopedin. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Församlingar på Gotland". www.svenskakyrkan.se. Church of Sweden. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Visby stifts indelning 2018". www.svenskakyrkan.se. Church of Sweden. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Paviken". www.lansstyrelsen.se (in Swedish). County Administrative Board of Gotland. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Enderborg, Bernt. "Västergarns utholme". www.guteinfo.com. Guteinfo. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Larson, Johanna (16 December 2014). "Kulturpriset till Smaklösa". www.gotland.se. Gotland Municipality. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Enderborg, Bernt. "Smaklösa". www.guteinfo.com. Guteinfo. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Smaklösamuséet". www.vastergarn.info. Västergarn Heritage Society. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "7545 Smaklosa (1978 OB)". NASA. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Joelsson, Johan (2014). "Vem döper stjärnorna?" [Who is naming the stars?]. www.spraktidningen.se. Språktidningen. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Västergarn.|