Location of Vårdö in Finland
|Sub-region||Åland Archipelago sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Magnus Sandberg|
|• Total||572.56 km2 (221.07 sq mi)|
|• Land||101.50 km2 (39.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||471.16 km2 (181.92 sq mi)|
|Area rank||298th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||309th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.37/km2 (11.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Swedish||91.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.9%|
|• 15 to 64||59.7%|
|• 65 or older||23.4%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||17.5%|
The municipality has a population of 444 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 572.56 square kilometres (221.07 sq mi) of which 471.16 km2 (181.92 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.37 inhabitants per square kilometre (11.3/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Swedish.
The word "vårdö" means "the guardian island". On the highest mountain of Vårdö people used to light bonfires to warn the other islands of danger.
The old post route road from Stockholm to Turku went through Vårdö, from Båthusviken to Hullvik. The local citizens took care of the mail transport in all kinds of weather. The dangerous mail transport lasted for over 300 years (1638-1910). Many people drowned on these journeys and in the memory of them the municipality of Vårdö has erected a memorial on the seashore of Hullvik. Today the post route road is marked with milestones.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
Media related to Vårdö at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Vårdö – Official website
|This Åland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|