Henri-Georges and Véra Clouzot in 1953
30 December 1913
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Died||15 December 1960
|Spouse(s)||Léo Lapara (1941–1947)
Henri-Georges Clouzot (1950–1960)
|Family||Jorge Amado (second cousin)|
Life and Career
Born Véra Gibson-Amado in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Daughter of Alice do Rego Barros and Gilberto Amado, a Brazilian congressman, writer, journalist, lawyer and ex-President of the United Nations' International Law Committee. Writer Jorge Amado is her second cousin.
In 1941, Véra met French actor Léo Lapara, a member of the theater company of Louis Jouvet who toured in Brazil during World War II. Vera married the actor, taking part in the company's South American tour that lasted almost four years. After World War II, Vera settled in Paris. Louis Jouvet took over the direction of the Athenée Theater, while she continued to do small roles.
Véra met film director Henri-Georges Clouzot through her then-husband Léo Lapara, who had minor parts in Le Retour de Jean and Quai des Orfèvres. Véra met Clouzot while working as a continuity assistant on Clouzot's Miquette et Sa Mère and they married in 1950. Clouzot named his production company, Véra Films, after his wife. She made only three films, all directed by her husband, the most notable of which was the classic thriller, Les Diaboliques (1955). She co-wrote the screenplay for the film La Vérité (1960), which was also directed by her husband.
Véra died in Paris in 1960, aged 46, from a heart attack, shortly after the filming of La Vérité. Henri-Georges Clouzot fell into a depression over her death. After her funeral, he moved to Tahiti, but returned to France in December 1960. She is buried in the Montmartre Cemetery.
- The Wages of Fear (1953) as Linda
- Les Diaboliques (1955) as Christina Delassalle
- Les Espions (1957) as Lucie
- "Recordando Gilberto Amado". Brasil 247 (in Portuguese). 14 September 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Vera Amado Clouzot, atriz de cinema de (As Diabólicas, e O Salário do Medo)". O Explorador (in Portuguese). 7 August 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Lloyd 2007, p. 7.
- "La Verité: Production credits". Allmovie. Retrieved 17 August 2009.
- Henri-Georges Clouzot: The Enlightened Tyrant (DVD) (in French). New York City, United States: The Criterion Collection. 2004. ISBN 0-7800-2965-8. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Lloyd 2007, p. 8
- Bocquet, José-Louis; Godin, Marc (1993). Henri-Georges Clouzot Cinéaste. La Sirène. Retrieved 13 September 2009.
- Chandler, Charlotte (2006). It's Only a Movie: Alfred Hitchcock : A Personal Biography. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 1-55783-692-2. Retrieved 19 August 2009.
- Hayward, Susan (2005). Les diaboliques. University of Illinois Press. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- Lanzoni, Rémi Fournier (2004). French Cinema: From its Beginnings to the Present. Continuum International Publishing Group. ISBN 0-8264-1600-4. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Lloyd, Christopher (2007). Henri-Georges Clouzot. Manchester University Press. ISBN 978-0-7190-7014-3.
- Mayne, Judith (2007). Le corbeau: French film guides series. I.B. Tauris. ISBN 1-84511-370-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Véra Clouzot.|
|This article about a French film actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|