|Born||November 8, 1964|
|Alma mater||Université catholique de Louvain (MSc, PhD)|
|Awards||Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2013)|
|Doctoral advisor||Léon Ghosez|
Véronique Gouverneur FRS (born 8 November 1964) is a professor of chemistry at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. Her specialism is the chemistry of fluorine, and her research involves finding new ways to synthesise organic fluorine compounds. She leads a research group at the University and, in addition to her chair, also holds a tutorial fellowship at Merton College, Oxford. Her research has received multiple professional and scholarly awards.
Career and research
Gouverneur moved in 1992 to the Scripps Research Institute in the USA, returning to Europe in 1994 to take a post at Louis Pasteur University in France. She joined the chemistry faculty at Oxford in 1998, becoming a Reader in 2006 and a Professor in 2008. In her own research career, she chose to focus on fluorine chemistry so as to complement other Oxford chemists, none of whom were working in that area, and because fluorine compounds have many applications, including in pharmaceutical drugs and in Positron emission tomography (PET) scans. She has also had visiting professor posts at the University of Paris X and the Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry.
Awards and honours
Gouverneur won the AstraZeneca Research Award for organic chemistry in 2005. She was also the 2008 winner of the Royal Society of Chemistry's Bader award, "for her important contributions to synthetic organofluorine chemistry." In 2013, the UK's Royal Society selected her as one of 27 Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award holders, providing funding until 2018 towards research on "The Importance of the Fluorine Source for Late Stage Fluorination". In 2015, Gouverneur received the American Chemical Society Award for Creative Work in Fluorine Chemistry "for her contribution to late-stage fluorination and for invigorating creatively the field of [18F] radiochemistry for applications in Positron Emission Tomography."
- "Veronique Gouverneur" (PDF). jco2016.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 August 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "V. Gouverneur". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. Wiley. 2009. doi:10.1002/anie.200901599. ISSN 1521-3773.
- Véronique Gouverneur publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Köster, Vera (2011). "Women in Chemistry – Interview with Veronique Gouverneur". ChemViews. doi:10.1002/chemv.201000094.
- Véronique Gouverneur publications from Europe PubMed Central
- Cote, Marie (11 January 2013). "Following her passion". Chemistry World. Royal Society of Chemistry. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin Symposium 2012: Biography". chem.uzh.ch. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Awards and Honours". Gouverneur group web site, University of Oxford. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Bader Award 2008 winner". rsc.org. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Royal Society announces new round of Wolfson Research Merit Awards". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "2015 National Award Recipients". acs.org. Retrieved 18 November 2015.