Víctor Ruiz (Spanish footballer)
Ruiz being presented by Napoli
|Full name||Víctor Ruiz Torre|
|Date of birth||25 January 1989|
|Place of birth||Esplugues de Llobregat, Spain|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2014–2015||→ Villarreal (loan)||25||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 February 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 28 February 2012
Born in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, Catalonia, Ruiz arrived in RCD Espanyol's youth system in 2006 at the age of 17, from neighbouring UE Cornellà. In the 2008–09 season he made his senior debuts, helping the reserve side win its Tercera División group and subsequently promote in the playoffs.
On 6 December 2009, Ruiz made his debut with Espanyol's first team, starting and being booked in a 0–4 home loss against Racing de Santander. Coach Mauricio Pochettino, however, fielded him in a further 21 La Liga games that campaign, with the team finally ranking in 11th position; he added two goals, against Málaga CF (1–2 away defeat) and Atlético Madrid (3–0, home).
Napoli / Valencia
In 2010–11, Ruiz played all the minutes for Espanyol in the first 15 rounds. On 31 January 2011, he was sold to S.S.C. Napoli for €6 million cash in a four-and-a-half-year contract, with the Italians also ceding the sporting rights to Jesús Dátolo who was playing with the Spaniards on loan.
On 30 August 2011, Ruiz returned to his country after penning a five-year deal with Valencia CF for €8 million. He made his official debut on 10 September, playing the full 90 minutes in a 1–0 home win against Atlético Madrid.
Shortly after making his professional debuts with Espanyol, Ruiz was called to the Spanish under-21 team by manager Luis Milla. On 8 February 2011, in the last minutes of a 2–1 friendly win with Denmark, he was sent off for punching Nicki Bille, who celebrated his goal in front of Ruiz's face.
- As of 5 February 2016
- Espanyol B
- Spain U21
- Espanyol continue away day blues; ESPN Soccernet, 21 February 2010
- Espanyol boost survival hopes; ESPN Soccernet, 11 April 2010
- Napoli sign Ruiz from Espanyol; UEFA.com, 31 January 2011
- SSC Napoli SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2011, PDF purchased from Italian CCIAA (Italian)
- Valencia complete deal for Ruiz; ESPN Soccernet, 30 August 2011
- SSC Napoli SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2012, PDF purchased from Italian CCIAA (Italian)
- Soldado (Soldier in English) arma al Valencia (Soldado arms Valencia); Marca, 10 September 2011 (Spanish)
- "Europa League: Kuban Krasnodar crash out despite 1–1 draw at Valencia". Sky Sports. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Villarreal finalise transfer for Victor Ruiz". Inside Spanish Football. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Ten-man Spain defeat hosts Denmark; UEFA.com, 8 February 2011
- International Matches – Under 21; Soccer Spain, 8 February 2011
- "Víctor Ruiz". Soccerway. Retrieved 17 April 2014.