|Alma mater||University of Economics, Prague, CEVRO Institute|
|Political party||Civic Democratic Party (2001-2009)|
Free Citizens Party (2009-present)
Vít Jedlička (Czech: [ˈviːt ˈjɛdlɪtʃka]; born 6 September 1983) is a Czech politician, publicist and activist, currently serving as the President of Liberland.
He was the chairman of the Party of Free Citizens in the Hradec Králové Region, and he is the founder and chairman of a Czech voluntary association Reformy.cz. On 13 April 2015, he founded the self-declared libertarian micronation Free Republic of Liberland, and became its first President.
In 2008, Jedlička received a bachelor’s degree in international relations and affairs from the University of Economics, Prague. He gained his master’s degree in political science at the CEVRO Institute in 2014.
Jedlička's father was removed from his office job at the Institute of Weights and Measures in Prague after losing favour with the authorities for resisting the Communist Party membership and was sent to work as a mechanic. During the 1997 Czech financial crisis, his family nearly went bankrupt when the Czech central bank raised interest rates to 25 percent. Jedlička's working career ranges from sales and management to financial analysis and IT. From 2006 to 2009, he was the managing director of HKfree.net, a civic network and internet service in his hometown of Hradec Králové. From 2009 to 2014, Jedlička was the regional chairman of the Party of Free Citizens. In 2011, he co-founded Reformy.cz, a community news service of libertarian roots, and became its chairman.
From 2001, Vít Jedlička was a member of Civic Democratic Party. Since 2009 he has been a member of the Free Citizens Party. In 2009 he was elected the first regional president in Hradec Králové Region of the Free Citizens Party.
Jedlička considers himself as libertarian with liberal views on individual freedom and the least state intrusion possible. A Property and Freedom Society attendee in 2015, his views are similar to that of American politician Ron Paul. He has described himself as a Bastiat-influenced anarcho-capitalist in a podcast. Jedlička is a eurosceptic and points to the huge difference between a free market and an internal market. He has also sought to raise awareness of the democratic deficit in the institution of the EU and of the abuse of basic moral rules by EU institutions and EU member states. Jedlička described the European Stability Mechanism as a protectorate.
— Vít Jedlička
On 13 April 2015, Vít Jedlička proclaimed the Free Republic of Liberland on what he considered an unclaimed land lot (terra nullius) known as Siga between Serbia and Croatia. The Preparatory Committee which Jedlička appointed elected him as president that same day. An assembly will be elected as soon as it's deemed appropriate by the provisional government.
- "Connecting People Through News". PressReader.com. Retrieved 2015-10-24.
- "Klub Reformy.cz - Vít Jedlička (blog.idnes.cz)". Vitjedlicka.blog.idnes.cz. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2015-10-24.
- CNN, Euan McKirdy. "Is Liberland the world's newest micronation?". CNN. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Člen Svobodných vyhlásil na území bývalé Jugoslávie vlastní stát" (in Czech). novinky.cz.
- Lewis-kraus, Gideon (2015-08-11). "Welcome to Liberland, the World's Newest Country (Maybe)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Bc. Vít Jedlička - Životopis" (PDF) (in Czech). svobodni.cz. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 August 2011.
- "Kandidát na primátora: VÍT JEDLIČKA" (in Czech). Denik.
- "Live and let live: inside the Free Republic of Liberland". FreeStatesman. 12 June 2016.
- "Královéhradecký kraj" (in Czech). Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Archived from the original on 2014-07-04.
- "Člen Svobodných vyhlásil na území bývalé Jugoslávie vlastní stát". Novinky.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Je pravičák a vzteká se: Nečas lže a zrazuje ODS" (in Czech). Parlamentní listy.
- "Pravičák Jedlička: Usama byl zabit bez soudu. Opovrhování právy" (in Czech). Parlamentní listy.
- "Anarchast Ep. 217 Vit Jedlička: The President of the New Anarcho-Capitalist State Liberland". Youtube.
- "Jakub Janda / Vít Jedlička - integrace s EU - Debatní klub". YouTube.
- "Vít Jedlička: Schválení europrotektorátu (ESM) by byl vrchol" (in Czech). Reformy.cz. Archived from the original on 2015-04-16. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "Citáty" (in Czech). Reformy.cz.
- Klemenčić, Mladen; Schofield, Clive H. (2001). War and Peace on the Danube. The Evolution of the Croatia-Serbia Boundary. Boundary and Territory Briefing. 3. IBRU, Durham University, UK. ISBN 1-897643-41-1.