V. C. Morris Gift Shop
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
The V. C. Morris Gift Shop is located at 140 Maiden Lane in downtown San Francisco, California, USA, and was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1948. The store was used by Wright as a physical prototype, or proof of concept for the circular ramp at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
Xanadu Gallery, which closed in August 2015, spent a significant sum to restore the building to Wright's vision. The gallery's website reported that it "put the million dollar restoration in the capable hands of Aaron Green, who had worked with Wright on other projects such as the Marin Civic Center, and was meticulous in maintaining the building's original detail and integrity." The gallery indicated that while retrofitting the building for current amenities (such as air conditioning) was difficult, there have been no roof leaks. The building was reported sold to a "high-end designer fashion boutique" as of July 2015 by the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy.
The V.C. Morris Gift Shop was listed in 2007 at number 126 on the American Institute of Architects' list of the 150 favorite buildings in America. The building is one of seventeen American buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright that the AIA has designated to be retained as an example of his architectural contribution to American culture.
- "About Our Gallery". Xanadu Gallery. Xanadu Gallery. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "New Owners At Wright's V.C. Morris Gift Shop In San Francisco". Save Wright. Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "America’s Favorite Structures". Infoplease. Sandbox Networks, Inc. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "AIA150" (PDF). NPR. NPR, Inc. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "America's Favorite Architecture". Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Seventeen Buildings Honored by the American Institute of Architects". Wright on the Web. J.H. Delmar. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to V.C. Morris Gift Shop.|
- V.C. Morris Store, 140 Maiden Lane, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA - Images in the Library of Congress
- V. C. Morris gift Shop at "Wright on the Web."
- Xanadu Gallery
- Wright as an educator / Aaron Green and Lloyd Wright - radio program produced by Bruce Rodde for Pacifica Radio, in which "Reese Palley describes how San Francisco hippies volunteered to help reconstruct Wright's V.C. Morris Gift Shop."
- Meet Manuel Sandoval.
- Frank Lloyd Wright, S. Kliczkowski, Rockport Publishers, ISBN 1610596684, 9781610596688, (publication date not available,) p50 &ff.