V. K. Shunglu
V. K. Shunglu
|9th Comptroller and Auditor General of India|
15 March 1996 – 14 March 2002
|Preceded by||C. G. Somiah|
|Succeeded by||V. N. Kaul|
V. K. Shunglu , served as the 9th Comptroller and Auditor General of India. He is a 1962 batch Indian Administrative Service officer from the Madhya Pradesh cadre. He is a recipient of the Padma Bhushan in 2019 for his contribution to the civil services.
Early life and education
Shunglu joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1962 from the Madhya Pradesh cadre. He has worked as Special Secretary in the Power ministry in 1993 and as Secretary, Health and Family Welfare in 1994. He also served as the Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion in 1995 and as a member of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board. He was appointed as the 9th Comptroller and Auditor General of India in 1996 and served in the position till his retirement in 2002.
He is among the founding members of the India Rejuvenation Initiative, an anti-corruption forum formed by retired bureaucrats. He has also been a member of many committees including the inquiry commission into the Commonwealth Games scandal and the Shunglu Committee which examined charges of irregularities in government appointments in the state of Delhi. He also headed the committee to assess the rehabilitation of people displaced by the construction of the Sardar Sarovar Dam and the committee to look into the proposal by Indian Institutes of Managements for increasing their fees. He was conferred the Padma Bhushan in 2019 for his contributions to the civil services.
- "V.K. Shunglu new CAG of India, IA&AS officers get offended". India Today. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Padma awardees list". The Week. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "V. K. Shunglu, Chairman, ASREC (India) Limited". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "V.K. SHUNGLU" (PDF). CAG. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Newsmaker: V K Shunglu". Business Standard. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "After Delhi Inquiry, Ex-Auditor VK Shunglu Has A New Task. This Time By CBSE". NDTV. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Shunglu Panel report on Narmada submitted". Outlook. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "IIMs refute Shunglu". Rediff.com. Retrieved 27 January 2019.