This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||14 January 1925|
Dr. Venkataraman Krishnamurthy is an Indian civil servant born in Tamilnadu. He is the doyen of Indian management, having headed the country’s largest and most challenging public sector companies, widely regarded as a Man with a golden touch. V Krishnamurthy is known as the "Father of Public sector undertakings in India" for his leadership and successful contribution in turning around BHEL, Maruti Udyog Limited, SAIL and GAIL into the most profit making industry in India and globally. He was Chairman and CEO of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Maruti Udyog Limited, Steel Authority of India Limited and GAIL (India) Limited. He has been Chairman of IIM Bangalore and Ahmedabad; IIT Delhi; Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar; and the Centre for Organization Development, Hyderabad. He has also been Chairman of the Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council. He was Member of the National Advisory Council from 2004-08. Among other positions, he has served as Member, Planning Commission and Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Industry. He was the Chairman of the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, holding the rank of a Cabinet Minister up to 2014. He is one of the founding trustees of the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation headed by Sonia Gandhi with Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and other distinguished members as its trustees. He began working with the then Madras Electricity Board in 1944. Later had the privilege of working directly with India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru at the Planning Commission from 1954 in the Second Five Year plan incharge of power projects and then with former Prime Ministers Lal Bahadur Sastri, Indira Gandhi, Morarji Desai, Rajiv Gandhi and Dr.Manmohan Singh in various positions in the Government of India.
V Krishnamurthy was born on 14 January in the year 1925. His initial V stands for his father’s name Venkataraman. He had two brothers –10 year older brother Subamanian and 2 year older brother Vaidyanathan. He married Rajam. He has two sons Jayakar and Chandra.
When he was born his grandfather was wealthy landlord in his village Karuveli, in Thanjavur region. In 1930 due to floods in his village his family lost all the lands. They sold their house and left the village. He went with his mother to live with his uncle. His father went to Chennai to do business. He lost his mother when he was 11 years old. Because of their poor financial condition his brothers had to discontinue education and go for employment. His eldest brother joined Southern Railways and another brother joined Kalki magazine as circulation manager.
He did 3 yrs diploma in electrical engineering from CNT technical Institute in 1943. He passed competitive examination conducted by Union public services commission and joined Central Engineering Services in 1955. He holds a Doctorate in Economics from the Soviet Academy of Sciences.
V. Krishnamurthy worked as a Chairman of the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) during 2004 - 2014 in the rank of a Cabinet Minister.
Member, PM’s Council on Trade & Industry.
Member, PM’s Trade & Economic Relations Committee.
Member, PM’s Energy Coordination Committee.
Member, PM’s High Level Committee on Manufacturing.
Chairman & CEO GAIL (India) Limited (GAIL) (1985 - 1990)
Founding Chairman, Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council.
Co-Chairman, Indo-Japan Study Committee.
Chairman of National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.).
Academic and professional associations
Member, Board of Governors, Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad (1975–1979) & (1990-till Date ).
Bharathidasan Institute of Management
In August 1984 Krishnamurthy met with Bharat Ratna, Chidambaram Subramaniam and Professor P. S. Manisundaram, Vice-Chancellor of Bharathidasan University, to develop the idea of establishing a management institute within the grounds of an industrial company. A partnership was signed with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, leading to the formation of the Bharathidasan Institute of Management.
He is the recipient of " The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun" in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the promotion of bilateral economic relations and understanding of Japan in India.H.M. The Emperor of Japan Bestowed the Order on 3 November 2009.
Business Leadership Award In 1975.
Businessman of the Year Award in 1987.
Steelman of the Year Award in 1989.
Lifetime Achievement Award in Management given by AIMA for the Year 2005.
- "NAC I: The knocks, and the nicks". indianexpress.com.
- "The Hindu Business Line : V. Krishnamurthy is Chairman of manufacturing panel". thehindubusinessline.in.
- "The Hindu : National : NAC reconstituted". hindu.com.
- " http://www.goodgov.in/content/2010/jun/03/pm-urges-industry-to-contribute-in-skill-development/
- " http://www.financialexpress.com/news/pm-sets-up-panel-to-coordinate-trade-ties/131225/0
- " https://books.google.com/books?id=Cn3wjsJiuvgC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=Member,+PM%E2%80%99s++energy+coordination+committee+v+krishnamurthy&source=bl&ots=TzuKTbwixA&sig=h8ZFba3c_ZLdkIg6k_Mc-_oeum4&hl=en&ei=C9laTO_qEcHcnAeGkrHcAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
- " http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=18826
- " http://nmcc.nic.in/chairmanProfile.aspx
- " http://www.vikalpa.com/pdf/articles/1989/1989_july_sep_57_67.pdf
- " http://dspace.vidyanidhi.org.in:8080/dspace/bitstream/2009/3924/9/OSM-1997-043-9.pdf
- " http://www.sailhrawards.com/sail/jury.htm
- " http://www.asci.org.in/courtofgover.asp
- "Media Room". bim.edu.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 August 2011. Retrieved 31 July 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- +Arun Prabhudesai. "Top 25 Business Schools In India Of 2015 [Updated List]". Trak.in - Indian Business of Tech, Mobile & Startups.
- http://www.in.emb-japan.go.jp/Press_Releases_Embassy%5CPR09-2009.html Archived 2011-12-20 at the Wayback Machine
- " http://www.qcin.org/nbqp/qualityindia/Vol-1-No5/profile.htm
- " http://www.aima-ind.org/ne_AwardsAchievement.aspx
28.https://harpercollins.co.in/author-details/v-krishnamurthy/ 29.Book by V. Krishnamurthy : At the helm. A Memoir