V. Mohini Giri
V. Mohini Giri
|Born||1938 (age 80–81) |
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
|Occupation||social worker, activist|
founder Guild of Service (1979)
Dr. V. Mohini Giri (born 1938) is an Indian Community service worker and activist, who has been Chairperson of the Guild of Service, a New Delhi-based social service organization. Established in 1979, it provides advocacy for women's and children rights for education, employment, and financial security. She founded War Widows Association, New Delhi in 1972. She has also remained Chairperson of the National Commission for Women (1995-1998).
Early life and background
Born in Lucknow to scholar Dr. V. S Ram, she graduated from Lucknow University, followed by post graduation in Ancient Indian history from University of Delhi, and a doctorate from G.B. Pant University.
Giri started her career as an academic and established the women's studies department at Lucknow University. Giri has been the Founder President of the War Widows Association which was formed in 1972 after the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971  and in 2000 became the Founder Trustee of the Women’s Initiative for Peace in South Asia.
- V. Mohini Giri; Srinivasan Gokilvani (1997). Reaching the Unreachable Women's Participation in Panchayat Raj Administration: A Feministic Study on the Role Performance and Experiences of Elected Women in Sivaganga District. Department of Women's Studies, Alagappa University.
- V. Mohini Giri (1999). Kanya: Exploitation of Little Angels. Gyan Publishing House. ISBN 978-81-212-0623-5.
- V. Mohini Giri (2002). Living Death: Trauma of Widowhood in India. Gyan Publishing House. ISBN 978-81-212-0794-2.
- V. Mohini Giri (2006). Deprived Devis: Women's Unequal Status in Society. Gyan Books. ISBN 978-81-212-0856-7.
- "V. Mohini Giri Profile". Guild for Service. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Pisharoty, Sangeeta Barooah (27 August 2013). "Silver years defined". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Interview with Dr. Mohini Giri". aarpinternational.org. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Chairpersons of the Commission". NCW Official website. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Padma Awards Directory (1954–2009)" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Illustrious alumni recall glorious days at Lucknow University". The Times of India. 26 November 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Dr. V. Mohini Giri profile". The Hunger Project. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "History". War Widows Association, New Delhi, India. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Global Board of Directors and Officers". The Hunger Project. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.