|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
The acronym VALO means "Free/Libre Open-Source Software" in Finnish. Valo is also a Finnish word that means "light". Therefore the name of the project has a connotation of bringing enlightenment. The Finnish version of VALO-CD had the special goal of concentrating on completely localized open-source software.
The project started in 2008, and aims to support technological and economic development in Finland.
Version 8 of VALO-CD includes the following software:
- Writing and drawing: Dia, GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, and Scribus.
- Internet: Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Vuze, and WinSCP.
- Recreation: Stellarium, and Tux Paint.
- Multimedia: Audacity, MuseScore and VLC media player.
- Tools: 7-Zip, Evince, InfraRecorder, KeePass, Notepad++, PDFCreator, and TrueCrypt.
- Guides: Various user guides by FLOSS Manuals.
- "Eighth edition of Finnish CD to promote open source". Joinup. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Now in English: VALO-CD Open Source Software Collection". Slashdot. 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "VALO-CD Now Available in English: Makes Installing Free and Open Source Software Easier Than Ever for Windows Users". Yahoo News. 2012-02-24. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Uusi Valo-CD esittelee Adoben korvikkeita" (in Finnish). Digitoday. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
|This free and open-source software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|