|Availability||Netherlands and parts of Belgium|
|Founded||1 November 1925|
|Dissolved||Merged on 1 January 2014 with BNN|
|Vereeniging van Arbeiders Radio Amateurs|
The Omroepvereniging VARA (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɔmrupfəˌreːnəɣɪŋ ˈvaːraː]), the VARA Broadcasting Association, was a Dutch public broadcasting association primarily operating in the fields of television, radio, publishing and interactive media. It was a member of Netherlands Public Broadcasting.
The association was founded in 1925 as the Vereeniging van Arbeiders Radio Amateurs (Association of Worker Radio Amateurs). The name was changed to Omroepvereniging VARA in 1957 and is no longer an acronym.
VARA originally focused on labour and socialism. In the era of Dutch pillarization the association had close links to the Social Democratic Workers Party and its successor, the Labour Party. For many years VARA's chairmen, such as Marcel van Dam and André Kloos, were prominent members of the party. Although the connection between the two organizations loosened, affinities remain, such as a large overlap between their respective support bases.
- Kassa (1989–201?)
- Kinderen geen bezwaar (2004–2013)
- Kinderen voor Kinderen (1980–201?)
- Pauw & Witteman (2006-2014), a live programme about current events, presented by Jeroen Pauw and Paul Witteman
- Sonja (1983–2006), a talk show hosted by Sonja Barend
- De Wereld Draait Door (2005–2020), a live programme about current events, hosted by Matthijs van Nieuwkerk
- Paul de Leeuw (various programmes)
- Pipo de Clown (various programmes)
- Zeg 'ns Aaa
- Alfred J. Kwak (children)
- Little Einsteins (Season 1 NPO Zappelin Programming)
On 5 June 1964, during The Beatles' world tour of that year, VARA organized and recorded for television a Beatles concert in the Treslong Café Restaurant in Hillegom as part of the group's three-day visit to the Netherlands. Vara broadcast a complete summary of the Beatles' visit to the country three days later, on 8 June 1964.
- The word vereeniging is an antiquated spelling; today this word is spelled vereniging.
- Arnold, Klaus; Preston, Paschal; Kinnebrock, Susanne (2019-10-15). The Handbook of European Communication History. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-119-16162-2.
- "Social Democratic Workers' Party (SDAP)". parlement.com (in Dutch). Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "VARA-televisievormgeving - Beeld en Geluid Wiki". wiki.beeldengeluid.nl. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- Ritzen, Guus (11 September 2018). "New management for BNNVARA (Nieuwe directie voor BNNVARA)". NRC (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- The visualization of the three day visit showed:
* arrival at Schiphol Airport - young women wearing Volendam folk costumes welcoming, offering tulips and traditional Dutch hats.
* the concert at Treslong.
* a roundtrip by boat through the canals of Amsterdam. The Beatles visiting the red light district De Wallen was not shown.
* arrival at De Doelen Hotel in Amsterdam.
* the concert at the Veilinghallen in Blokker.
* the group waving goodbye while boarding a plane at Schiphol Airport on their way to their next destination, Hongkong.