VG247 as of February 1, 2011
Type of site
|Available in||English (UK)
|Founded||February 12, 2008|
|Created by||Patrick Garratt|
|Alexa rank||4,826 (July 2016[update])|
VG247 (stylized as VG24/7) is a video game blog published in the United Kingdom, founded in February 2008 by industry veteran Patrick Garratt. CNET blog Crave ranked it as the third best gaming blog in the world.
Founded in collaboration in February 2008 between games journalist Patrick Garratt and Eurogamer Network, VG247 was set up to be a news-only blog, the first of its kind in the UK to have a specialist games blog found among the likes of American sites Kotaku and Joystiq. At launch, VG247 did not review video games and focused instead on news, interviews, and previews. Garratt was the only staff member at the time of launch, although grew in time with the addition of contributors Mike Bowden and Nathan Grayson. In early 2009, the site relaunched with a new design, new features, and staff. The site added additional staff over the next year.
VG247 began to create original video content in 2012 and had some staff changes. Matt Martin became the site's editor-in-chief and website founder Patrick Garratt moved into a full-time publisher role in 2014. This appointment accompanied a third redesign. The site launched an Italian edition in March.
In October 2015, VG247 pulled their preview of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and issued an apology after being contacted by Sony that they had played Uncharted 2: Among Thieves from the remastered Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.
VG247 has been nominated twice for Best Website and Best Online Blog at the Games Media Awards in 2008 and 2009. And while it did not win either in 2008, it did win Best Online Blog in 2009, with Garratt winning Best Specialist Online Writer in 2009, having only been nominated in 2008. Garratt was awarded the Games Media Legend award in 2009.
The site was nominated for the Best Online Blog award at the 2010 Games Media Awards, but lost to Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The site was nominated again for the Best Online Blog at the 2011 Games Media Awards.
- Patrick Garratt. "Staff". VG247. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- "Alexa Ranking". Alexa Ranking. July 3, 2016.
- Top ten gaming blogs | Crave | CNET UK Crave.CNET.co.uk. Last accessed November 6, 2009.
- Patrick Garratt (February 9, 2009). "VG247 – Welcome to our second year and your new site!". VG247. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- VG247 freelance spot available, possibly to you VG247.com. Last accessed June 8, 2009
- Johnny Cullen becomes latest addition to VG247 team VG247.com. Last accessed December 14, 2009.
- VG247 becomes first and only 24-hour UK-based videogames news site VG247.com. Last accessed January 4, 2011.
- VG247 pushes on original video with Sam Clay signing VG247.com. Last accessed March 21, 2012.
- Dave Cook joins VG247 as new UK editor VG247.com. Last accessed October 10, 2012.
- Weber, Rachel (2012-07-23). "Cook takes news editor role at VG247". Gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- Weber, Rachel (2014-03-24). "VG247 launches in Italy". Gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- Leack, Jonathan (2015-10-14). "Journalist Mistakes Uncharted 2 For Uncharted 4, Hilarity and Embarrassment Ensues". Game Revolution. CraveOnline. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- UK's media darlings hailed | Games Industry | MCV MCV. Last accessed October 16, 2009
- Games Media Awards finalists revealed | Games Industry | MCV MCV. Last accessed August 11, 2010
- GMA 2011: The finalists | Games Industry news | MCV MCV. Last accessed August 11, 2011