VIEW Conference is a computer graphics event in Italy and is held yearly in Turin, between October and November. Topics represented at the event include interactive techniques, digital cinema, 3D animation, gaming and VFX.
The event spans several days and includes sessions open to the public. The conference includes several international speakers from various sectors within the computer graphics field who present their work to the attendees as well as Master Classes and theory lessons taught by experts.
The event was created in 2000 as Virtuality Conference. It changed its name for its eighth edition, in 2007, adopting the acronym VIEW, meaning "Virtual Interactive Emerging World". The content of the conference has changed and evolved over the years as well. While still focusing on "virtual reality", the VIEW Conference now includes emerging digital technology and applications including animation, special effects, virtual architecture, and videogames. Speakers of the various editions include Grant Major, Scott Farrar, Roger Guyett, John Knoll, Alvy Ray Smith, Glen Keane, Byron Howard, Brad Lewis, Walter Murch, Mike Mitchell and Walt Dohrn.
In 2005 the VIEW Conference established the "VIEW Award", an international award for 3D animated and VFX short films, targeted to students, artists and filmmakers. As of 2016 the award has five categories, Best Short, VIEW Social Contest ( aimed at involving visual artists, designers and computer graphics lovers with works using 2D/3D animation and/or VFX focusing on themes of social relevance), View Game Award, VIEWTube Video Award and Italianmix. Winners are selected by an international jury composed of experts in the different disciplines of the contest and by teachers and school directors from animation schools in Europe and North America.
VIEW Fest is an international film festival held annually in Turin, Italy between October and November which focuses on Italian filmmakers, digital artists, and other creative professionals. The VIEWFest includes a short film competition called ITALIANMIX, which accepts short films from all visual forms from both students and non-students featuring new technology and techniques. The VIEWFest occurs directly after the VIEW Conference as the second portion of the event in which screenings of new digital films and media take place.
- Alessandra C. (24 October 2011). "Con un poker View Conference è da Oscar". La Stampa. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Jamie D'Alessandro (6 November 2007). "Torino, ecco View Conference I maghi della computer grafica". La Repubblica. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Candido Romano (16 October 2013). "VIEW Conference 2013: a Torino le meraviglie dell'animazione, videogiochi ed effetti speciali". International Business Times. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Jennifer Wolfe (25 August 2014). "VIEW Conference Announces 2014 Keynote Speakers". AWN. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Terry Flores (4 August 2016). "'Zootopia' Co-Director Byron Howard Among View Conference Keynote Speakers". Variety. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Terry Flores (20 October 2015). "'Apocalypse Now' Editor Walter Murch Added to View Conference Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Terry Flores (15 September 2016). "'Trolls' Directors Mike Mitchell, Walt Dohrn Added to VIEW Conference 2016 Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 2 October 2016.