This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
General Employment Airborne Light Vehicle "Gaucho", during the Argentine Army exposition in may 2008.
|Type||Wheeled all-terrain vehicle|
|Place of origin||Argentina, Brazil|
|depends on the version|
The VLEGA Gaucho is a light general purpose 4x4 vehicle, capable of being transported by air (VLEGA is the acronym for Vehiculo Ligero de Empleos Generales Aerotransportable, the vehicle's type denomination in Spanish). It was developed jointly by Argentina and Brazil in the 2000s for employment by their militaries. It will fulfill several roles, among them: cargo/transport, reconnaissance, ambulance, special operations.
The prototype of Light Vehicle Employment General Aerotransportável was presented March 27, 2006, at Army Headquarters in Brasília - DF, for the Brazilian Army Commander, General Francisco Roberto de Albuquerque, and the Chief of General Staff of the Argentine Army, General Roberto Fernando Bendini.
The Car Light Employment is the initial design of the Scientific and Technological Exchanges between the armies of Brazil and Argentina. This exchange implements within the Army, the Agreement on Scientific and Technological Cooperation signed between the governments of Argentina and the Federative Republic of Brazil, on May 17, 1980.
In Brazil the project is being conducted by the Technological Center of the Army (CTEx) and in Argentina by the Dirección de Investigación Desarrollo y Producción Army in that country.
The project began in April 2004 when it was held in Rio de Janeiro, the first working meeting, which were agreed Technical Requirements Operating a car that should meet.
The definition of principal components, the layout of the car and the responsibilities of each work team was the first step to achieving the vehicle Argentina / Brazil.
The prototype semi-mounted arrived in Brazil on June 16, 2005, for completion of work carried out in the workshops of War Arsenal of Rio de Janeiro.
The car is performing engineering tests at the Center for reviews of the Army (CAEX) and soon will undergo technical and operational assessments, according to modern methods of assessment of the Brazilian Army.
The car has been designed to meet the requirements about sixty previously defined by the two hosts.
This is a car with great versatility, being able to have civilian jobs, which will be used primarily for airmobile units, since its design allows the vehicles to be stacked and transported by aircraft type C-130.
The independent suspension, great progress in the 4-wheel and 4x4 traction, combined with a powerful engine, enables high tactical mobility in any terrain.
The car will fulfill missions in development of supply, transport equipment, evacuation of wounded, launching of wireless, reconnaissance, command and control, airborne operations and special situations.
- Width: 2.15 m
- Length: 4.15 m
- Height: 1.85 m
- Wheelbase: 2.80 m
- Gauge: 1.83 m
- Ground clearance: 0.42 m
- Approach angle: 50°
- Departure angle: 40°
- Capacity: 600 kg
- Crew: Up to 4
- Vel. Maximum: 120 km
- Longitudinal ramp: 60
- Ramp Side: 40
- Transposition ford: 0.52 m
- Vertical obstacle: 0.36 m
BF Goodrich Off Road 33 x 12,5 R 15
- Armament: 7.62 mm machine gun FN MAG
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VLEGA Gaucho.|
- Argentine Army - These vehicles have participated in various Argentine Armed Forces parades, as a symbol of the military industry. They are part of the equipment of southern units of the XI Mechanized Brigade, them being the 24 Mechanized Infantry Regiment and the 11th Armored Cavalry Exploration Squadron. It was used in the operating SOL 2010 -2011.
- Brazilian Army
- Website of the Argentine Army - news about the "Gaucho" project (Spanish)
- Brazilian Army Gaucho website
- "Viatura Leve de Emprego Geral Aerotransportável (VLEGA GAÚCHO)" (in Portuguese). Ctex.eb.br. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Defesa Aérea & Naval » » Viatura Leve de Emprego Geral Aerotransportável (VLEGA)" (in Portuguese). Defesaaereanaval.com.br. 2013-08-21. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "El Ejército del Uruguay descarta adquirir el vehículo argentino VLEGA Gaucho - Noticias Infodefensa América" (in Spanish). Infodefensa.com. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Argentina entregará un vehículo táctico Gaucho al Ejército del Uruguay - Noticias Infodefensa América" (in Spanish). Infodefensa.com. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2015-11-13.