|VL Kotka serial KA-144 in Suomenlinna, circa October 1930|
|Role||two-seater patrol biplane|
|First flight||30 September 1930|
|Primary user||Finnish Air Force|
|Number built||5 (plus 3 prototypes)|
VL Kotka ("Eagle") was a Finnish two-seat, biplane maritime patrol aircraft, designed and built by the Valtion lentokonetehdas or VL ("State Aircraft Factory"). It was meant as a cheaper replacement (compared to the Blackburn Ripon) for the outdated IVL A.22 Hansas that were in service with the Finnish Air Force.
The prototype made its first flight on September 30, 1930. In 1931, the State Aircraft Factory began production of a series of five aircraft. These were used as liaison aircraft until 1944.
- VL E.30 Kotka prototype KA-144 - this machine was built by the Finnish Government Aircraft Works, and was a prototype fitted with floats and a Bristol "Jupiter IV" engine.
- VL E.30 Kotka I KA-145, 147 & 148 - three of the production aircraft (KA-145 – KA-148) fitted with regular landing gear (and could equip skis) and Wright R-1820-E Cyclone radial engines, 429 kW (575 hp).
- VL E.30 Kotka I KA-146 - this machine was a Kotka I witted with the same or very similar floats to the ones the KA-144 Kotka prototype had.
- VL E.31 Kotka II KA-149 - the last, more modified series production aircraft fitted with a Pratt & Whitney R-1690-B Hornet engine, (575 hp).
- VL E.32 Kotka III - cancelled third series due to the type being outdated.
Specifications (KA-147, land aircraft)
Data from 
- Crew: Two
- Length: 10.25 m (33 ft 8 in)
- Wingspan: 12.70 m (41 ft 8 in)
- Height: 3.80 m (12 ft 6 in)
- Wing area: 50.0 m² (538 ft²)
- Empty weight: 1,380 kg (3,042 lb)
- Loaded weight: 2,380 kg (5,250 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Wright R-1820-E Cyclone radial engine, 429 kW (575 hp)
- Propellers: Hamilton Standard DWG No 35 B2-2 propeller
- Bombs: 3 × 100 kg or 6 × 50 kg bombs under the fuselage
- "Ilmavoimien käyttämät konetyypit 1930-luku" (PDF). puolustusvoimat.fi (in Finnish). Suomen puolustusvoimat. p. 3. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Raunio 2005: pp. 154–159
- "VL E.30 Kotka II". lahdenilmasilta.fi (in Finnish). Lahden Ilmasilta. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Keskinen, Stenman, Niska: pp. 48-49
- Raunio, Jukka (2005). Valtion Lentokonetehtaan historia. Osa 1: Pioneerivuodet 1921–1932 (in Finnish). Forssan Kirjapaino Oy, Forssa. ISBN 951-96866-6-5.
- Keskinen, Kalevi, Niska, Klaus & Stenman, Kari (1995). Suomen ilmavoimien historia 15 - Meritoimintakoneet (in Finnish). Tampere: Apali Oy. ISBN 952-5026-03-5.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
Media related to Valtion Lentokonetehdas aircraft at Wikimedia Commons
|This aircraft-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|