8.5.2 / November 13, 2016
|Written in||C, x86 Assembly, C++ (GUI)|
|Operating system||Mac OS X|
|License||Commercial proprietary software|
VMware Fusion is a software hypervisor developed by VMware for Macintosh computers. VMware Fusion allows Intel-based Macs to run operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, NetWare, or Solaris on virtual machines, along with their Mac OS X operating system using a combination of paravirtualization, hardware virtualization and dynamic recompilation.
VMware Fusion, made possible by the Apple–Intel transition, marked VMware's first entry into Macintosh-based x86 virtualization. VMware Fusion uses Intel VT present in the Intel Core microarchitecture platform. Much of the underlying technology in VMware Fusion is inherited from other VMware products, such as VMware Workstation, allowing VMware Fusion to offer features such as 64-bit and SMP support from the first beta version onward.
VMware Fusion 1.0 was released on August 6, 2007, exactly one year after being announced.
The software allows user to simultaneously run Mac OS X with Windows,Linux,or UNIX with configurable settings allowing user optimization of the experience.
- Any x86-64 capable Intel Mac
- 4 GB of RAM (minimum)
- 750 MB free disk space
- 5 GB free disk space for each virtual machine (10 GB or more recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later
- Operating system installation media for virtual machines
- Optional: nVidia GeForce 8600M, ATI Radeon HD 2600 or better graphics for Windows Aero support
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2012)|
|1.0||August 6, 2007||First release (following 4 betas).|
|1.1.0||November 12, 2007||Support for Leopard, Boot Camp, and improvements to DirectX support and Unity.|
|1.1.1||January 24, 2008||Various bug fixes.|
|1.1.2||April 23, 2008||Support for Time Machine and various bug fixes.|
|1.1.3||May 30, 2008||Various bug fixes.|
|2.0||September 12, 2008||Multiple Snapshots with AutoProtect, Improved Unity, DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 3D, and support for Mac OS X Server guests.|
|2.0.1||November 14, 2008||Various bug fixes.|
|2.0.2||February 11, 2009||Import from Parallels, supports Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 host, mounts DMG images, supports Ubuntu 8.10 in Unity mode.|
|2.0.3||April 2, 2009||Various bug fixes. Adds experimental support for Snow Leopard Developer Builds.|
|2.0.4||April 9, 2009||Fixed Host code execution vulnerability.|
|2.0.5||June 23, 2009||Support for Nehalem Mac Pro. Experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 as guest. Support for Ubuntu 9.04 as guest. Various bug fixes.|
|2.0.6||October 1, 2009||Fixed issues when running on Snow Leopard. Fixed issues with NVidia graphics cards on Mac OS X 10.6. Various bug fixes.|
|2.0.7||April 8, 2010||Fixed security issues, accepts VMware Fusion 3 license keys.|
|2.0.8||December 2, 2010||Maintenance release fixing Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) issue CVE-2010-4297.|
|3.0||October 27, 2009||Added support for Windows 7 with Aero. Full 64‑bit compatibility with Mac OS X 10.6 host and guest. DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3 3D. WDDM-compatible display driver.|
|3.0.1||December 10, 2009||Improved 3D & video performance, full support for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), 64‑bit networking subsystem, improved VMware Importer, improved VM resume times.|
|3.0.2||February 18, 2010||Fixes a problem so that the latest release of Mac OS X 10.6 Server (Snow Leopard) can run in a virtual machine.|
|3.1.0||May 25, 2010||Improved 3D & video performance, improved Unity view performance and integration, USB EasyConnect, improved migration assistant, 8‑core SMP support, increased virtual hard disk size, updated operating system support.|
|3.1.1||August 12, 2010||Various bug fixes. VMware vSphere 4.1 is now supported as a guest operating system.|
|3.1.2||December 2, 2010||Fixes various bugs and security issues.|
|3.1.3||May 31, 2011||Fixes various bugs and security issues.|
|3.1.4||April 13, 2012||Fixes a bug with starting virtual machines on OS X 10.7.4.|
|4.0||September 14, 2011||Run Lion, Lion Server, Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard Server, and Leopard Server in virtual machines, up to 2.5x faster 3D graphics, add Windows programs to Launchpad, view in full screen, or in Mission Control.|
|4.0.1||September 14, 2011||Contains an update that ensures that disk buffering is enabled when set to automatic.|
|4.0.2||September 27, 2011||Addresses an issue starting virtual machines running a forthcoming version of Mac OS X Lion.|
|4.1.0||November 17, 2011||Added support for Lion's full screen mode, improved performance, and reintroduced the ability to turn on virtual machines automatically when VMware Fusion is opened.|
|4.1.1||November 23, 2011||Reintroduces the Mac OS X Server check after it was inadvertently omitted from 4.1.0.|
|4.1.2||April 12, 2012||Adds early host and guest support in preparation for the future release of OS X Mountain Lion.|
|4.1.3||June 13, 2012||Various bug fixes|
|4.1.4||November 8, 2012||Various bug fixes|
|5.0.0||August 23, 2012||VMware Fusion 5 has been revamped to take advantage of new technologies only available in Mountain Lion, Windows 8 and the latest Macs|
|5.0.1||August 30, 2012||Improved handling of USB devices|
|5.0.2||November 8, 2012||Various bug fixes|
|5.0.3||March 14, 2013||Various bug fixes|
|5.0.4||December 11, 2013||Various bug fixes|
|5.0.5||July 3, 2014||VMware Fusion 5.0.5 has been updated to the OPENSSL library version openssl- 0.9.8za where necessary to address CVE-2014-0224, CVE-2014-0198, CVE-2010-5298, and CVE-2014-3470.|
|6.0.0||September 3, 2013|
|6.0.1||September 19, 2013|
|6.0.2||November 5, 2013|
|6.0.3||April 17, 2014||Maintenance release which resolved some known issues|
|6.0.4||July 1, 2014||VMware Fusion 6.0.4 has been updated to the OPENSSL library version openssl-1.0.1h where necessary to address CVE-2014-0224, CVE-2014-0198, CVE-2010-5298, and CVE-2014-3470.|
|6.0.5||October 16, 2014||VMware Fusion 6.0.5 is a maintenance release that resolves some known issues |
|6.0.6||April 23, 2015||VMware Fusion 6.0.6 is a maintenance release that resolves some known issues |
|7.0.0||September 3, 2014||OS X Yosemite look and feel, support of Yosemite and Windows 8.1, optimized for Haswell Intel processors with performance improvements of up to 43% vs Fusion 6, allocate up to 2 Gb of video memory per virtual machine, improved support for Retina Macs® connected to non-Retina displays, energy impact reduced by 42%, automate GPU switching for dual GPU Macs, virtual web camera compatible with iSight and external webcams, improved guest OS compatibility, over 50 new features.|
|7.1.1||February 17, 2015|
|7.1.2||June 15, 2015||VMware Fusion 7.1.2 has been updated to use OpenSSL library version openssl-1.0.1m which addresses several OpenSSL security issues|
|7.1.3||November 12, 2015||Maintenance release |
|8.0||August 24, 2015||OS X El Capitan support for both host and guest OS; Windows 10 support for guest OS. New support for Ubuntu 15.04, Fedora 22, CentOS 7.1, RHEL 7.1, Oracle Linux 7.1, VMware Project Photon. Graphics support updated for DirectX10 and OpenGL 3.3. Improvements for encrypted virtual machines. Improved resolution settings. VMware vCloud Air Integration (Fusion 8 Pro only). Improved remote experience (Fusion 8 Pro only). Support IPv6 NAT network (Fusion 8 Pro only). Support the retina Macs, including iMac 5k and 12" MacBook. Echo cancellation for voice and video calls with Microsoft Lync and Skype. USB 3 support for Windows 7 VM's. Improved Start menu. Improved new VM creator.|
|8.0.1||October 1, 2015||Maintenance Release. Fixes an issue involving installing El Capitan as a guest OS.|
|8.0.2||October 29, 2015||Maintenance Release. Fixes issues with virtual machines crashing, and other compatibility fixes.|
|8.1||December 8, 2015||Maintenance Release. Fixes issues with Windows 10 easy installation and other compatibility improvements.|
|8.1.1||April 21, 2016||Maintenance Release. Fixes issues with nat and port forwarding and other compatibility improvements.|
|8.5||September 8, 2016||Maintenance Release. Full support for macOS Sierra, including Tabs and Siri support and Windows 10 Anniversary edition.|
|8.5.1||October 27, 2016||Maintenance Release. Fixes a hang/crash issue on Linux kernel 4.7 (and above), Intel-based hosts, as well as other issues. |
|8.5.2||November 13, 2016||Maintenance Release. Fixes an out-of-bounds memory access vulnerability related to the drag-and-drop feature. This may allow a guest to execute code on the operating system that runs VMware Fusion. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the identifier CVE-2016-7461 to this issue. |
- Comparison of VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop
- Desktop virtualization
- Platform virtualization
- Virtual disk image
- "VMware Fusion 8.5 Release Notes". VMware. 2016-09-13.
- Virtualization Software - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7884548/most-of-the-virtualization-products-developed-by-vmware-citrix-microsoft-etc-are
- "WWDC: VMware brings virtual machines to Mac OS X". Macworld. 2006-08-06.
- "VMware Official Web Site: System Requirements". VMware, Inc.
- "VMware Fusion 2.02". VMware. 2009-02-11.
- "VMware Fusion 2.03". VMware. 2009-04-02.
- "VMware Fusion 2.04". VMware. 2009-04-09.
- "VMware Fusion 2.05". VMware. 2009-06-23.
- "VMware Fusion 2.06". VMware. 2009-10-01.
- "VMware Fusion 2.07". VMware. 2009-04-07.
- "VMware Fusion 2.0.8". VMware. 2010-12-02.
- "VMware Fusion 3.01". VMware. 2009-12-10.
- "VMware Fusion 3.02". VMware. 2010-02-18.
- "VMware Fusion 3.1". VMware. 2010-05-25.
- "VMware Fusion 3.1.1". VMware. 2010-08-16.
- "VMware Fusion 3.1.2". VMware. 2010-12-23.
- "VMware Fusion 3.1.3". VMware. 2011-05-31.
- "VMware Fusion 3.1.4". VMware. 2012-04-13.
- "VMware Fusion 4". VMware. 2011-09-14.
- "VMware Fusion 4.0.1". VMware. 2011-09-14.
- "VMware Fusion 4.0.2". VMware. 2011-09-27.
- "VMware Fusion 4.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2011-11-30.
- "VMware KB: Upgrading from VMware Fusion 4.1.0 and unsupported versions of Mac OS X". VMware. 2011-11-30.
- "VMware Fusion 4.1.3 Release Notes". VMware. 2012-06-13.
- "VMware Fusion 4.1.4 Release Notes". VMware. 2012-11-08.
- "VMware Fusion 5.0.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2012-09-04.
- "VMware Fusion 5.0.2 Release Notes". VMware. 2012-11-08.
- "VMware Fusion 5.0.3 Release Notes". VMware. 2013-03-14.
- "VMware Fusion 5.0.4 Release Notes". VMware. 2013-12-11.
- "VMware Fusion 5 and VMware Fusion 5 Professional Release Notes". VMware, Inc. 2014-07-03.
- "VMware Fusion 6.0.3 and VMware Fusion 6.0.3 Professional Release Notes". VMware, Inc. 2014-04-17.
- "VMware Fusion 6.0.4 and VMware Fusion 6.0.4 Professional Release Notes". VMware, Inc. 2014-07-01.
- "VMware Fusion 6.0.5 and VMware Fusion 6.0.5 Professional Release Notes". VMware, Inc. 2014-10-16.
- "VMware Fusion 6.0.6 and VMware Fusion 6.0.6 Professional Release Notes". VMware, Inc. 2015-04-23.
- "VMware Fusion 7.1.2 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-06-15.
- "VMware Fusion 7.1.3 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-11-12.
- "VMware Fusion 8.0 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-09-08.
- "VMware Fusion 8.0.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-10-01.
- "VMware Fusion 8.0.2 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-10-29.
- "VMware Fusion 8.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2015-12-08.
- "VMware Fusion 8.1.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2016-04-21.
- "VMware Fusion 8.5.1 Release Notes". VMware. 2016-10-27.
- "VMware Fusion 8.5.2 Release Notes". VMware. 2016-11-13.