|Type||Armoured Personnel Carrier|
|Place of origin||China|
|Manufacturer||Chongqing Tiema Industries Corporation|
|Crew||2 drivers + 8 soldiers|
|7.62 mm or 12.7 mm heavy machine gun|
|3 smoke grenade dischargers|
|Engine||6 cylinder in-line, water cooled, turbocharged diesel engine|
|Suspension||wheels, 4 x 4|
The VN-4 is a light armored vehicle that can be outfitted for certain scenarios. It is very mobile with a top speed of 115 km/h and has independent suspension for rough terrain. The armor is welded shut and primarily provides protection from small arms fire and splinters from explosives.
- Air conditioning is provided to occupants from vents on the roof.
- Communication systems
- CTIS (central tyre inflation system)
- Night vision driving capability
- Video Surveillance Systems
Crisis in Bolivarian Venezuela
In the beginning of 2014, 191 VN-4s existed in Venezuela. In 2014, during the 2014 Venezuelan protests, the Venezuelan government ordered 300 additional VN-4 vehicles. The VN-4 was heavily relied upon by the Bolivarian National Guard during the crisis in Bolivarian Venezuela against demonstrators who opposed the government of President Nicolas Maduro. As demonstrations strengthened during the 2017 Venezuelan protests, President Maduro hastily ordered an additional 165 VN-4s from Norinco, paying fully for the equipment which arrived only weeks after the order, with the move being criticized since the low amount of funds allocated toward goods for Venezuelans had resulted with shortages in Venezuela during the preceding years.
- Venezuela: Bolivarian National Guard, Bolivarian National Police
- Kenya: Kenya Police - GS Unit
- "Lo que se sabe de la mujer que paró una tanqueta y se convirtió en la imagen de las protestas contra el gobierno de Venezuela". BBC Mundo. 20 April 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "VN4 4x4 light armoured vehicle". Army Recognition. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Chinese systems get 'combat experience' in Venezuela". IHS Jane's. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- National Guard of Venezuela will receive more Chinese-made Norinco VN4 vehicles - Armyrecognition.com, March 12, 2013
- Venezuela; National Guard incepts new batch of Chinese armored 4 × 4 - Dmilt.com, April 14, 2013
- "Venezuela will buy 300 new anti-riot vehicles". Army Recognition. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- María Delgado, Antonio (12 June 2017). "Maduro importa blindados de combate en vez de alimentos en medio de crisis venezolana". El Nuevo Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- Fisher Jr, Richard D. "Kenya receives 30 Norinco VN4 armoured vehicles". Jane's Information Group. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VN-4.|
- VN4 on manufacturer's website (in Chinese)