VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Seal of VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय॥ (Sanskrit) |
IAST: Tamasomā Jyotirgamaya
(From the darkness, lead me to light )
|Type||Private – Research|
|Principal||Dr. Challa Dhanunjaya Naidu|
|General Secretary||Dr. Sarath Kumar|
21 acres (8.5 ha)(Total campus)
Vallurupalli Nageswara Rao Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology (VNRVJIET) is an engineering college in Hyderabad, India recognized by All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE) and affiliated to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. It is often referred to as VNR College or Vignana Jyothi Engineering College or VNRVJIET.
As of July 2016, the institute's intake is 249 students towards B.Tech. program, 64 towards its M.Tech. program and 83 towards its Polytechnic program (from 2009), with 24 dedicated faculty
All the undergraduate programs in the institute are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) New Delhi, since 2008. The institute has been conferred "Autonomous" status by its parent university – Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) Hyderabad. The institute has been selected under the TEQIP funding scheme. The UGC inspection team visited the campus in 2012 and awarded "Autonomous" status. In 2012, NAAC accredited the institute with A Grade (3.73/4). In 2016, the Institute was awarded 'College with Potential for Excellence' by the UGC New Delhi. Recently, VNRVJIET has been awarded A++ Grade (3.40/4)by NAAC in its second cycle of accreditation.
The institute is governed by a Governing council with representatives from Vignana Jyothi Society, AICTE, Government of Telangana, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad and experts from industry and academia. The council meets at least once in 12 months.
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Departments
- 4 Research and Consultancy Center
- 5 Rankings
- 6 Admissions
- 7 Building resources
- 8 Student Chapters
- 9 Student Activity Center
- 10 CRESCENDO
- 11 VJ TEATRO
- 12 Athletics
- 13 Library
- 14 Career Vision Promotion Centre
- 15 Campus Network Control Centre
- 16 Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities
- 17 Cultural and Magazine Committee
- 18 References
- 19 External links
It was established in 1995 by a registered non-profit education society "Vignana Jyothi". The institute started primarily as an undergraduate college offering coursework towards a B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) degree. In 2003, the institute started offering coursework towards M.Tech. (Master of Technology) degree.
ECE, departments have been recognized as research centers by JNTU Hyderabad.
Governing council members
The following are the board of members involved in the governing of the institute:
- Dr. D. Nageswara Rao, Managing Director, X-Design Ventures Pvt.Ltd., Hyderabad
- V. Raja Rama Mohan Rao, SEW Constructions Limited, Hyderabad
- B. Krishnaiah, BSCPL Infrastructure Limited, Hyderabad
- K. Satyanarayana, Chairman and Managing Director, Spectra Shares & Scrips Pvt.Ltd., Hyderabad
- K. Harishchandra Prasad, Managing Director, Lakshmi Finance and Industrial Corporation Limited, Hyderabad
- N. Prabhakar, Managing Director, Hyderabad Tulaman Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad
- D.J Ramesh, Chairman and Managing Director, Vijai Electricals Limited, Hyderabad
- Venkat Ramdev, Managing Director, Uma Laminated Products Pvt.Ltd., Hyderabad
- Harish Cherukuri, Managing Director, Priyadarshini Spinning Mills Ltd., Hyderabad
- D. Suresh Babu, Managing Director, Suresh Productions Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad
- B. Sarat Gopal, Industrialist/Technologist/Educationist, Hyderabad
- N. Narayana Reddy, Regional Joint Director of Technical Education, Hyderabad
- Ch. Venkateswara Rao, Chief Advisor, Vignana Jyothi, Secunderabad
- Dr. S. Venkateswara Rao, Founder Principal, VNR VJIET, Hyderabad
- Prof. Sydney Rebeiro, Member UGC Committee NET/Fellowships, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi
- Sh. Saroj Kumar Jena, Regional Officer and Deputy Director, All India Council for Technical Education, Hyderabad
- Dr. S. Srinivasulu, Professor in Civil Engineering, JNTU College of Engineering, Hyderabad.
- D. Venkateswarulu, Secretary (FAC), State Board of Technical Education and Training, Hyderabad
- Dr. C. D. Naidu, Principal, VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad
- Dr. C. Kiran Mai, Professor VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad
- Dr. K. Anuradha, Professor, VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad.
The institute is divided into corresponding departments and is headed by a department head:
|Name Of Department||Head Of Department|
|Department of Automobile Engineering||Dr. T. Srinivasa Rao|
|Department of Civil Engineering||Dr. A. Mallika|
|Department of Computer Science Engineering||Dr. B.V.Kiranmayee|
|Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Dr. Poonam Upadhyay|
|Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering||Dr. Y. Padma Sai|
|Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||Dr. ManjulaSri|
|Department of Information Technology||Dr. G. Suresh Reddy|
|Department of Mechanical Engineering||Dr. M.V.R.D. Prasad|
|Department of Humanities and Sciences||Dr. T. Jayashree|
Research and Consultancy Center
RCC is headed by Dr. G. Ramesh Chandra, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering. The labs in the research and consultancy center are:
- Mobile Vision application.
- RFID and WSN application
- Software application
- Virtual reality and real time computing
- 3D Motions and servo-drive
- Virtual instrumentation
- Environmental engineering
- Computer aided design
- Embedded systems
- Power electronics
- Android applications
|Engineering Institute rankings|
|Engineering – India|
VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology was ranked in the rank band of 101-150 among engineering institutions in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018.
The institute has started its polytechnic program from the year 2009 on second shift basis. The students are generally enrolled into the program through POLYCET entrance exam. Upon completion of this 3-year program, students are offered diploma. The students can take corresponding ECET entrance exam to join in any B. Tech course of their branch as lateral entry student in the second year. The intake of the program is given in table below:
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||120|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||120|
The minimum qualification for admissions is a pass in intermediate (7th) conducted by Andhra Pradesh Board of Intermediate Education or Telangana Board of Intermediate Education. Seats are generally filled in two categories namely, A, B and D. Category A seats are filled in through state level entrance exam, EAMCET. Category B seats are filled in through NRI quota or based on other state or national level entrance exams. But you can also buy a seat through the donation "D" category. Diploma holders are enrolled into second year of B. Tech course to extent of 20% of sanctioned intake based on merit in ECET, under lateral entry scheme. Intake for respective branches is given in table below:
|Computer Science Engineering|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering|
|Advanced Manufacturing Systems||18||B.E/B.Tech in Mechanical/Production Engineering|
|Automation||18||B.E/B.Tech in Mechanical/Production Engineering/Automobile Engineering|
|CAD/CAM||18||B.E/B.Tech in Mechanical/Production Engineering/Automobile Engineering|
|Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering||18||B.E/B.Tech in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering|
|Embedded Systems||18||BE/B.Tech in Electronics & Communications/Electronics & Control Systems/Electronics & Telematics/Electronics & Instrumentation/Electrical & Electronics or any equivalent Batch|
|Geo-technical Engineering||18||BE/B. Tech in Civil Engineering/AMIE|
|Power Electronics||36||BE/B. Tech in EEE|
|Software Engineering||18||BE/B. Tech in CSE/IT/Computer science &Systems Engineering|
|Computer Science Engineering||18||B.E/B. Tech in IT/CSE/ECE/EEE|
|Structural Engineering||18||BE/B. Tech in Civil Engineering/AMIE|
|VLSI System Design||18||BE/B.Tech in Electronics & Communications/Electronics & Control Systems/Electronics & Telematics/Electronics & Instrumentation/Electrical & Electronics or any equivalent Batch|
|Highway Engineering||18||BE/B. Tech in Civil Engineering/AMIE|
|Computer Networks and Information Security||18||B.E/B. Tech in IT/CSE/ECE/EEE|
|Building name||Area occupied|
|Silicon Bhavan (A Block)||1.29631 acres (0.52460 ha)|
|Patrons' Bhavan (B Block)||1.68007 acres (0.67990 ha)|
|Vellanki Rama Rao Bhavan (C Block)||1.39763 acres (0.56560 ha)|
|Yogaiah Naidu Bhavan (D Block)||1.09475 acres (0.44303 ha)|
|Devineni Seetharamaiah & Sasirekha Post Graduate and Research Center||1.61261 acres (0.65260 ha)|
|Kode Venkatadri Chowdary Sports Complex||0.783571 acres (0.317100 ha)|
|Shed Type Buildings||0.534489 acres (0.216300 ha)|
|Student Activity Center and Student Innovation Center – COLOSIUM||0.137885 acres (0.055800 ha)|
|Library||0.2817 acres (0.1140 ha)|
|Canteen||0.117128 acres (0.047400 ha)|
|Total Area||5.936128 acres (2.402266 ha)|
The institute has some active student chapters involved in certain activities. The following are the active student chapters:
|IEI Student Chapter||EEE Association|
|ISTE Student Chapter||CE Association|
|IEEE Student Chapter||EEE Association|
|ISOI Student Chapter||EIE Association|
|VSI Student Chapter||ECE Association|
|CSI Student Chapter||CSE Association|
|VGLUG Chapter||IT Association|
|SAE Club||AE Association|
|Fierce Formula India|
|ISTE Student Forum||EIE Association|
|IETE Student Forum|
|ASMS Student Chapter|
|Research & Development Team|
Student Activity Center
Student Activity Center, most commonly referred to as SAC is a place . It is exclusively for the students of college and no faculty is allowed except for some faculty coordinators. The ground floor of SAC is used as a platform for students' performances (Amphi Theater). The first and second floors accommodate the student chapters like IEEE, ISTE, IETE, ISOI, CSI, VLSI, SAE, Music Club (Crescendo), Choreo Club (Live Wire), Orators club (Stentorian), Readers Club (Rainbow), etc. Third floor is an open gallery to accommodate around 300 students for practice and common activities.
The official music club of VNR VJIET, CRESCENDO formed in the year 2002 by Prashanth Narayan and Ramakrishna kalicharan with the prime motto of gathering people passionate about making music and jamming for a few hours at the college . Earlier, students used to get their instruments back from their homes and even by rental to practice at college. Later, the college management was impressed with the growth and the increasing number of people interested in joining the club and sanctioned few instruments for the club. The club was successful in gathering people together from the batches entering into and even the ones leaving after their graduation. The club has always been active participating in the cultural activities running up the year such as SINTILLASHUNZ, VECTOR, CONVERGENCE at VNRVJIET . The club has been part of the music competitions at SAARANG, one of the largest student-organised cultural and social festival at IIT-MADRAS, for about 14 years by now. CRESCENDO, has all around 25 original musical compositions in Telugu, Hindi and English languages. Crescendo being mostly a light music band has musical influences from varied genres like Carnatic classial, Bollywood music, Progressive rock and artists like A R RAHMAN, ILAIYARAAJA, AGAM, MOTHERJANE, INDIAN OCEAN and many more.
- winners at IIT-HYDERABAD ELAN band competition 2016.
- winners at VNRVJIET's SINTILLASHUNZ band competition 2013, 2016.
- runner up at IIT-HYDERABAD ELAN band competition 2014.
- 4th place at IIT-MADRAS SAARANG(TARANG) band competition 2015, 2016.
- best drummer and bassist mentions (HIMAMSHU BT and AVINASH NAPA) at SAARANG band competition 2011, best instrumentalist mention (kaushik kumar – flautist) at IIT-MADRAS SAARANG 2016.
- WINNERS- Group singing at IIIT-HYDERABAD FELICITY 2009.
- Year 2016–17 achievements***
- Winners at CBIT Band competition.
- Winners at St.Peter's college band competition.
- Winners at Charminar Jam 2017
- Runner up at IIT HYDERABAD Band competition.
- Runner up at IIIT Hyderabad Band competition.
- Runner up at BITS-PILANI Hyderabad Band competition.
- Crescendo, the music club has been the sole organizer at VNRVJIET for the Event Milan annually held by the Saarang, IIT MADRAS .
- Crescendo bagged several deals of recording songs from Professional Studios in hyderabad and is getting ready to release their single soon.
VJ TEATRO is the official short film club of VNR VJIET. One of the best short films clubs in the South India and it is well known for its short films like Devuda, Swachh VNR, The First Meet, A Phone Call, and How i met myself, among others. In 2015–16 academic year almost 250 students have reported for the auditions. In simpler words it is the pride of VNR VJIET to have a club like that running with the tag line "SHOOT IT. LOVE IT".
Official link: https://www.facebook.com/vjteatro/?fref=ts
The institute has a sports complex for use of students. It features a hardwood court for playing basketball or badminton, dedicated rooms for table tennis, cue sports, carroms, chess, gym with showers and locker (cabinet). The college is equipped with a common football and cricket ground, a basketball court, volleyball court. The institute students have won many national events.
The library is located in the ground floor of Vellanki Rama Rao Bhavan having a plinth area of 1140 sq. m. The library holds over 9000 titles, 50,619 books, 152 national journals and 782 international journals (including online journals) and 1750 audio-visual materials. There are 1867 back volumes of the important journals in bound form. The students have access to 32 magazines and 8 newspapers (6-English, 2-Telugu).
The library is fully automated with Libsys 4.0 version and all the collection of library can be browsed with in the college LAN. The following services are provided for the students and staff:
- Current awareness service
- Book reservation service
- Help desk for spot queries
- Guidance at digital library
- Research help for students on particular topics
- Periodical content page service
- General book bank for students
- eBooks and eJournals on CD
- Reference section
The library created a record of single day transactions by reaching a number of (both lending and getting back) 2381 books on 17 December 2012.
The institute has digital library with around 20-30 terminals. It is fully automated with DSpace Digital Library package. It has a collection of 1533 e-books, 568 journals from IEEE, science direct, ASCE, Springer, ASME Publications and 2526 e-articles at present. It is also accessible to students through college LAN.
Within the digital library, an e-learning center has been established with 5100+ video lectures from all IIT's, MIT, University of Berkley etc., related to all engineering subjects. This is also accessible to students by visiting server IP address within the college LAN.
Career Vision Promotion Centre
In order to encourage the students to learn through career vision approach, the institute has implemented a Career Vision Promotion Centre. It is a centralised comprehensive resource to assist all the students of the institute with their career management needs. The centre is a full function career planning centre serving all students from first year through graduation. The centre is maintained by the library and information resource centre.
Campus Network Control Centre
Under the department of Information Technology, the Campus Network Control Centre has been established at a cost of 2 lakh Rupees.
The old network has been totally revamped. The new network has around 104+ external switches, 118+ wireless access ports and several network software to safeguard network. A dedicated 1 Mbit/s line has been leased to provide internet facility to the labs, research centre and around the campus. The centre also handles internet facilities of hostels and MBA institute.
Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities
The ECA/CCA system is institutionalized by the establishment of several committees. The senior faculty members of the institute act as chief co-ordinators for the following committees:
- Event co-ordination and management committee
- Committee for literary activities
- Committee for music activities
- Committee for performing arts
- Committee for creative arts
- Editorial board for Vignana Vahini (annual magazine)
- Editorial board for Vignana Vartha (quarterly newsletter)
Every year several activities such as independence day, intramural competitions, freshers' competitions, republic day, sintillashunz, international women's day etc. are undertaken as a part of extracurricular activities.
Cultural and Magazine Committee
The Cultural and Magazine Committee was established in 2006. The committee's responsibilities include conducting the annual three-day cultural event SINTILLASHUNZ, organizing teams to participate in cultural and technical competitions throughout the country, conduct the Cultural and Annual Day and meet regularly to help in all-round development of the students and give a platform for creative outlet.
- "BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF THE INSTITUTE" (PDF). VNR VJIET. March 5, 2015. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India Rankings 2018: Engineering". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Security Check Required". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.