|Developer(s)||Armada, janwillem32, nevcairiel, Underground78, v0lt, vBm, XhmikosR|
2.41.7259 / May 13, 2013
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
DirectVobSub (formerly known as VSFilter) is a software add-on for Microsoft Windows (a DirectShow filter) that is able to read external subtitle files and superimposes them on a playing video file.
DirectVobSub/VSFilter were formerly part of a whole application known as VobSub which was also able to extract subtitles from DVD Video and create text-based subtitles, without ripping the DVD to a file first. The last version of VobSub was version 2.23, after which the development of VobSub ceased. VSFilter was a part of the guliverkli project on SourceForge web site. The guliverkli project also includes the ability to extract subtitles from a DVD via the vobsub ripper program. However, development of guliverkli ceased in 2005 with version 2.37. In 2007, it became a part of the Guliverkli2 project, now known as DirectVobSub, starting with version 2.38. But till September, 2012, the last guliverkli2 commitment was on April 10, 2011. Then, the MPC-HC project took over the sources. Started with 2.40, DirectVobSub is in active development again.
DirectVobSub is also capable of extracting subtitles from a DVD without ripping it to a file first. "Vobsub rippers" are also available for the same effect. Note also the guliverkli project has a related project VSrip.
Supported Subtitle formats
|SubStation Alpha/Advanced SubStation Alpha||.ssa/.ass|
|Universal Subtitle Format||.usf|
|Structured Subtitle Format||.ssf|
- "DirectVobSub (VSFilter) 2.39". codecs.com. July 24, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
DirectVobSub is simply a DirectShow filter which can be used to display subtitle. It integrates automatically with any DirectShow player like ...
- "VSFilter / DirectVobSub". videohelp.com. August 4, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "VobSub/DirectVobSub/VSFilter". divx-digest.com. August 5, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- The old and present: VSFilter
- "VobSub 2.23". codecs.com. May 26, 2004. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "VobSub". videohelp.com. December 11, 2002. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "VobSub Guide". Doom9. December 30, 2002. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "VobSub Subtitle Ripping, Playback and Permanent Subtitle Guide". divx-digest.com. December 17, 2005. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "Guliverkli2 SVN log". April 10, 2011. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "MPC-HC Git VSFilter log". Retrieved September 22, 2012.