|Designed by||Robert Wenzel, Jonatan Wallmander|
|Developer||Vovoid Media Technologies AB|
|Stable release||0.5.1 / December 14, 2014|
|OS||Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux|
|License||GNU Lesser General Public License|
|Pure Data, OpenGL, C++|
VSXu (VSX Ultra) is an OpenGL-based (hardware-accelerated), modular programming environment with its main purpose to visualize music/audio data and create 3D effects in real-time. Available for Windows and GNU/Linux. It is currently released as free software under terms of the GNU General Public License v2 and maintained by Vovoid Media Technologies AB. VSXu is built on a modular plug-in-based architecture so anyone can extend it and or make visualization presets ("visuals" or "states").
VSXu is divided in 2 main parts: VSXu Player and an Editor (VSXu Artiste). The player loads and runs the visuals created in Artiste.
In Artiste, the user interconnects modules visually represented as boxes  with inputs and outputs. A module always produces something and has various parameters which in turn can be fed with the result of another module. There are about 200 different modules which can produce bitmaps, handle textures, generate 3d geometry (meshes) and render geometry.
There are also modules for reacting to sound, playing sound and reacting to joystick input.
VSXu is intended to be used both as an end-user program ("VSXu Player", "VSXu Artiste") and its LGPL-licensed "VSXu Engine" as an embedded Visual programming language engine that can be integrated into independent projects. VSXu profiler can be compiled into C++ programs to measure call stack and performance and collect data.
VSXu has its roots in the Sonique music visualization development community and was first conceived in 2001, then published in 2004. Main developers are Jonatan Wallmander, Robert Wenzel (better known as CoR) and Joakim Fännick.
- Khronos Group. "OpenGL News Comments - VSXu OpenGL API-based real time music visualization design tool". opengl.org. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "http://www.softwarevj.com/softwareoverview.php?Name=VSXu". softwarevj.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "Vovoid Media Technologies AB". vovoid.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/760/1037760/inq-featured-music-visualizer[dead link]
- "VSXu - audio visualizer, music visualizer, visual programming language (VPL), realtime graphics design platform". vsxu.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.