This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
VMware spun off the cloud computing-enabled tool suite as VMware Infrastructure 4 (VI 4 for short) to be distinct from VMware Infrastructure 3.5 (VI 3.5) that was then ready for release (March 30, 2009).
On April 21, 2009, VMware announced vSphere 4, instead of VI 4, releasing it on May 21, 2009.
VMware is a using vSphere in the cloud computing platform for virtualization. VMware's vSphere 4.1 began shipping in August 2010. This update included an updated vCenter Configuration Manager, as well as vCenter Application Discovery Manager, and the ability of vMotion to move more than one virtual machine at a time from one server host to another.
On July 12, 2011, VMware released version 5 of VMware vSphere.
On August 27, 2012, VMware released vSphere 5.1. This extended vSphere to include VMware vSphere Storage Appliance, vSphere Data Protection, vSphere Replication and vShield Endpoint.
September 22, 2013, saw the release of vSphere 5.5.
On October 18, 2016, VMware announced vSphere 6.5 focusing on a simplified experience and improving security features.
- VMware ESX/ESXi, the hypervisor operating system component
- VMware VMFS, the VMware file system component
- "Server Virtualization with VMware vSphere | VMware India". www.vmware.com. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Release article. Retrieved from http://vsphere-land.com/news/vsphere-release-date.html.
- "VMware ESX 4.0 Update 1 Release Notes". December 18, 2009.
- "VMware ESX 4.1 Update 1 Release Notes". February 10, 2011.
- "VMware vSphere® 5 launched".
- "VMware vSphere® 5.1 Helps SMBs Simplify and Protect Their IT Environments with New Business Continuity and Management Capabilities".
- "vSphere 5.5 Release Notes". www.vmware.com. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- "SAP and VMware Announce SAP HANA® for Production Use on VMware vSphere 5.5". www.vmware.com. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- "vSphere 6.0 finally announced!". February 3, 2015.
- "Introducing vSphere 6.5 - VMware vSphere Blog". VMware vSphere Blog. 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- VMware Infrastructure product page - VMware, Inc.