VW Electronics Research Laboratory
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008)|
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
|Founded||Sunnyvale, California, United States (August 1998)|
|Headquarters||Belmont, California, U.S.|
with North American emphasis
|Ewald Goessmann, Director|
|Services||Research and development|
The VWERL's slogan Technology to the People! indicates its mission: to leverage Silicon Valley resources for the advancement of the Volkswagen Groups' products through technical knowledge and electronics expertise.
The Volkswagen Electronics Research Laboratory was founded in August 1998, and VWERL began operations in October 1998, with three employees. As of December 2002, the lab had outgrown its Sunnyvale, California office and moved to Palo Alto in California. In 2011 it moved again to Belmont. This current location provides a spacious office, workshop and prototyping areas for about 60 workers. It supports VWERL employees at Volkswagen Group of America's offices in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and the new headquarters at Herndon, Virginia.
The VWERL supports all brands within the Volkswagen Group. This includes Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Škoda, Bentley, and Bugatti as well as Audi, SEAT, and Lamborghini. In addition to working with research and development teams in Germany, the VWERL also supports the development of U.S.-specific features for the Volkswagen Group of America.
Research "teams" at VWERL
The VWERL comprises four teams:
- Driver Information and Assistance (DIA) - Instrumentation, visualization systems
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) - Interface concepts for driver assistance, infotainment systems
- Connected Vehicle (CV) - wireless infotainment, collaborative intelligence, distributed computing
- Test Concepts and Validations (TCV) - Testing procedures, specifications compliance
The VWERL's headquarters are located at 500 Clipper Drive, Belmont CA
- VWERL.com- VW Electronics Research Laboratory official website
- VolkswagenGroupAmerica.com - Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. corporate website
- Stanford Racing Team