Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Dhana Sekaran|
|Produced by||Mani Ratnam|
|Written by||Dhana Sekaran|
|Story by||Mani Ratnam|
|Starring||Vikram Prabhu |
|Edited by||Sangathamizhan E.|
|7 February 2020|
Vaanam Kottattum (transl. Let it rain) is a 2020 Indian Tamil language film co-written and directed by Dhana Sekaran of Padaiveeran fame. The film stars Vikram Prabhu, Aishwarya Rajesh and Madonna Sebastian in the lead roles, with Sarathkumar and Raadhika portraying supporting roles. The film is produced by Mani Ratnam for Madras Talkies, with the latter also credited for co-writing the film's script. The film released on 7 February 2020.
- Vikram Prabhu as Selva
- Aishwarya Rajesh as Mangai
- Madonna Sebastian as Preetha George
- Sarathkumar as Bose Kaalai
- Raadhika as Chandra
- Shanthanu Bhagyaraj as Ramanathan
- Nandha as Baskaran and Natrayan
- Amitash as Kalyan Reddy
- Balaji Sakthivel as Velsaamy
- Madhusudhan Rao as Reddy
Mani Ratnam finalised plans to produce a film for Madras Talkies by his assistant director Dhana Sekaran in late 2018. The story of the film was conceived by Mani Ratnam during a recce during the pre-production stages of O Kadhal Kanmani (2015). He had written a story based on the lives of real characters from Theni, which his assistant Dhana had recollected from his years growing up in the hill town. Mani Ratnam chose to eventually prioritise other directorial ventures, but agreed to produce the script with Dhana as director, owing to his familiarity with the characters. Dhana initially considered naming the film either Two Brothers or Brother Sister, but Mani Ratnam suggested the title of Vaanam Kottattum, a title he had earlier considered for his O Kadhal Kanmani and Kaatru Veliyidai (2017).
The first crew member to be publicly announced was music composer Govind Vasantha, who accepted to work on the film following negotiations in early November 2018. G. V. Prakash Kumar was signed to play the lead role, while Aishwarya Rajesh joined the cast shortly after to play the sister of Prakash Kumar's character. Vikram Prabhu replaced Prakash Kumar in the lead role during March 2019, while Madonna Sebastian was subsequently cast opposite him. Actors Sarathkumar and Raadhika Sarathkumar were then drafted in to play the parents of Vikram Prabhu's character.
Prior to the start of the shoot, actors Nandha Durairaj, Shanthanu Bhagyaraj and Amitash Pradhan were also added to the cast. Director Balaji Sakthivel joined the film's cast in August 2019 to portray a supporting role, marking an extended foray into acting following his role in Asuran (2019). Preetha Jayaraman was signed as the film's cinematographer, while Eka Lakhani joined as the costume designer. Despite finishing work on two songs, Govind Vasantha opted out of the film owing to a production delay and was replaced by playback singer Sid Sriram, who made his debut as a music composer through the project.
The film began production on 19 July 2019 and was continued throughout August. Scenes and a montage song titled "Business" featuring Vikram Prabhu was filmed near Jerusalem College of Engineering, Chennai. Further scenes were filmed at home in Triplicane, with Mani Ratnam also often visiting the shoot.
During the first look poster release, the rest of the technicians working on the film was revealed, including K. Kathir as art director, debutant Sangathamizhan E. as film editor, Viji Sathish as choreographer, and "Stunner" Sam as stunt choreographer.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 January 2020|
|Studio||AM Studios, Chennai|
20dB Studios, Chennai
Krimson Avenue Studios, Chennai
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Singles from Vaanam Kottattum|
The music for the film will be composed by singer Sid Sriram, making his debut as a film composer. In addition to him singing most of the songs in this movie (except for the song, "Mannava"), he also composed the film's background score, alongside music director K. The album features six songs (with four of them were previously being released as singles), in which the lyrics for all the songs are written by Siva Ananth, who was previously co-written the script with Mani Ratnam for Chekka Chivantha Vaanam.
The first single track, "Kannu Thangom" was released on 15 November 2019. The second single track, "Easy Come Easy Go" was released on 20 November 2019. The third single track, "Poova Thalaiyaa" was released on 15 January 2020, coinciding with Pongal celebration. The fourth single track, "En Uyir Kaatre" was released on 20 January 2020.
|1.||"Kannu Thangom"||Sid Sriram, Shakthisree Gopalan||3:27|
|2.||"Easy Come Easy Go"||Sid Sriram, Sanjeev Thomas, MADM, Tapass Naresh||3:50|
|3.||"Poova Thalaiyaa"||Anthony Daasan, Sid Sriram||3:09|
|4.||"En Uyir Kaatre"||Sid Sriram||4:14|
|6.||"Thinam Thinam"||Sid Sriram||3:30|
The film was originally scheduled to release on 31 January 2020. The film is slated to release on 7 February 2020.
- "```கைதி' டீம் `விஜய் 64'-க்கு அப்படியே வந்ததுக்குக் காரணம் அவர்தான்!- ஒளிப்பதிவாளர் சத்யன் சூரியன்". www.vikatan.com/.
- "'96' sensation Govind Vasantha teaming up with Mani Ratnam". The Times of India. 8 November 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "I wasn't prepared to meet Mani Ratnam at all: Govind Vasantha". The Indian Express. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "GV Prakash to act in Mani Ratnam produced film!". Sify. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Aishwarya Rajesh to star alongside GV Prakash in Mani Ratnam's next - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "vikram-prabhu-roped-mani-ratnam-s-next-productio". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Vikram Prabhu's film for Mani Ratnam to go on floors from July - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (20 July 2019). "Shanthanu Bhagyaraj and Amitash Pradhan, new additions in Mani Ratnam's film". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Balaji Sakthivel onboard for Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottattum'". Sify. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Balaji Sakthivel in Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottatum' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (24 August 2019). "Sid Sriram on turning composer with Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottatum' and much more". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (17 August 2019). "How team 'Vaanam Kottatum' shot on busy city roads when it rained heavily". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Vaanam Kottatum: Mani Ratnam pays visit to Radikaa and Sarathkumar on sets". in.com. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (2 August 2019). "Mani Ratnam's surprise visit to film sets". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "The first-look posters of Maniratnam's Vaanam Kottatum, here". Behindwoods. 13 November 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "Sid Sriram records a song with Shaktishree Gopalan for Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum". Behindwoods. 16 October 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "Sid Sriram and Shakthisree's Kannu Thangam from Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum". Behindwoods. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum movie song Easy come Easy go in Sid Sriram music out now". Behindwoods. 20 November 2019. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- @MadrasTalkies_ (15 January 2020). "Happy to release this high energy number in @anthonydaasan & @sidsriram's voice & @bagapath's lyrics on the day of Pongal!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum movie song En Uyir Kaatre video released ft Aishwarya Rajesh Amitash Shanthnu Bhagyaraj". Behindwoods. 20 January 2020. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- @SonyMusicSouth (23 January 2020). "Listening to the delightful #VaanamKottattum album now" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @MadrasTalkies_ (13 January 2020). "Get ready for an evening of music, rain and lots of love! #VaanamKottattum - Music & Trailer launch on 23 January 2020" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Maniratnam and Vikram Prabhu's Vaanam Kottatum title look released". Behindwoods. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "Watch: 'Vaanam Kottatum' teaser gives glimpse of interesting family drama". The News Minute. 8 January 2020. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Mani Ratnam and Vikram Prabhu's Vaanam Kottatum trailer to release on Jan 23". Behindwoods. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- @MadrasTalkies_ (23 January 2020). "Drizzle before the storm! #VaanamKottattumTrailer is here" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @ynotxworld (6 January 2020). "Happy to announce that YNOTX is the distribution partner for #VaanamKottatum" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Soundararaj, Sivaranjani. "Vaanam Kottatum Second Single, Easy Come Easy Go Song is Out Now". News Bricks. Retrieved 21 November 2019.