Kapoor walked the ramp at the Lakme Fashion Week 2018
|Born||23 August 1988|
Vaani Kapoor (born 23 August 1988) is an Indian actress known for her work in Hindi films. She made her film debut in the 2013 romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, a critical and commercial success, which earned her Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. Later she acted in Aaha Kalyanam (2014), Befikre (2016), and in the action thriller War (2019).
Life and career
Kapoor's father is a furniture exports entrepreneur and her mother is a teacher-turned marketing executive. She did her schooling from Mata Jai Kaur Public School in Ashok Vihar, Delhi. Later she enrolled in Indira Gandhi National Open University, completing a bachelor's degree in tourism studies, after which she took up an internship with Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in Jaipur and later worked for ITC Hotel. She was signed by the Elite Model Management for modeling projects.
Kapoor later signed a three-film deal with Yash Raj Films. She was selected through an audition to play a supporting role in the romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, alongside Sushant Singh Rajput and Parineeti Chopra. The film dealt with the subject of live-in relationships; it received positive feedback from critics, and Kapoor's portrayal of an outspoken girl, Tara, was praised. Mohar Basu of Koimoi wrote that Kapoor was "a pleasant debutant though she isn’t an overtly powerful actress" while Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times Of India thought that she was "impressive, pretty and commands a good screen-presence". Shuddh Desi Romance collected ₹46 crore (US$6.8 million) at the domestic box-office and emerged as a commercial success. At the 59th Filmfare Awards, Kapoor was awarded with the Best Female Debut award.
Kapoor's next release was the Tamil romantic comedy Aaha Kalyanam, an official remake of the 2010 Hindi film Band Baaja Baaraat. She was cast opposite Nani and learned Tamil and Telugu languages for the film. Upon the release, Kapoor received positive reviews for playing the lead female role. According to the Box Office India, the film was an average-grosser.
In 2016, Kapoor appeared in Aditya Chopra's romantic drama Befikre opposite Ranveer Singh. The film, set in Paris, was released on 9 December 2016. It received negative reviews from critics and became an average grosser at the box office. Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express described Vaani's role as ''You can see Vaani trying for more in a few scenes, but she appears stymied for the most part. Better fleshed-out, she could have been a truly spunky here-and-now leading lady, changing her own gears on love and life.''
After a three-year break from films, she appeared in 2019's highest-grossing release, War, an action thriller film, alongside Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff. The film was directed by Siddharth Anand and produced by Yash Raj Films. War set the record for the highest-opening day collection for a Bollywood film. The film is her most successful film among all her films released so far.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Shuddh Desi Romance||Tara||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|2014||Aaha Kalyanam||Shruthi Subramaniam||Tamil film|
|2021||Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui||Maanvi||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2013||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Film Debut (Female)||Shuddh Desi Romance||Won|||
|2014||Filmfare Award||Best Female Debut|||
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Debut of the Year (Female)|||
|Screen Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|||
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|||
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut|||
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female||Nominated|||
- Kapoor, Vaani (29 November 2013). "its 88!*sigh*". Twitter.com. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Vaani Kapoor: Was VERY SCARED of the director of Shuddh Desi Romance". Rediff.
- "'Shuddh Desi Romance' more challenging than fun: Vaani Kapoor". Mid Day. 18 September 2013. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Basu, Mohar (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance Review". Koimoi. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance: Movie Review". The Times Of India. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "59th Idea Filmfare Awards Winners". Filmfare. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "I understand Tamil well: Vaani Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Aha Kalyanam movie review: Subject no match for Telugu audience". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Aaha Kalyanam Review – Happily ever after". IndiaGlitz. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "It's surreal:Ranveer Singh on Befikre trailer launch at Eiffel Tower". 10 October 2016.
- "Vaani Kapoor feels 'Befikre' debacle was because of her". mid-day. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Ians (15 July 2019). "'War' teaser promises an exhilarating Hrithik vs Tiger spectacle". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- Upadhyay, Karishma (4 October 2019). "Vaani Kapoor on War, handling the failure of Befikre and having Aditya Chopra as mentor". Telegraph India.
- "Shamshera: Ranbir Kapoor, Vaani Kapoor's Film Goes on Floors". News18. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- Torkham, Sulabha (1 October 2020). "Bell Bottom becomes first film to start and finish shooting during coronavirus pandemic". India Today. Retrieved 1 October 2020.
- "'Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui': Director Abhishek Kapoor introduces Maanvi aka Vaani Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- "Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui: Ayushmann Khurrana & Vaani Kapoor Commence Shooting For Abhishek Kapoor's Romantic Drama". ABP News. 20 October 2020. Retrieved 20 October 2020.
- "Nominations for 4th Big Star Entertainment Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "IIFA 2014 Winners". IIFA. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Screen Awards 2014: Complete list of Nominees". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Guild Awards 2014 Winners". filmibeat. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine 2014 Winners". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2014: Complete list of nominations". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaani Kapoor.|