Vacuum Tower Telescope
The VTT at the Teide Observatory, Tenerife.
|Part of||Teide Observatory|
|Location(s)||Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain|
|Organization||Kiepenheuer Institute for Solar Physics|
Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam
Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
|Telescope style||optical telescope|
|Diameter||70 cm (2 ft 4 in)|
|Focal length||46 m (150 ft 11 in)|
The Vacuum Tower Telescope is an evacuated-optics solar telescope located at the Teide Observatory on Tenerife in the Canary Islands. It is operated by the Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik (KIS).
It was built between 1983 and 1986, with first light in 1988. It has a 70-centimetre (28-inch) diameter primary mirror and a focal length of 46 metres (151 ft). Thanks to an adaptive optics system KAOS (Kiepenheuer-institute Adaptive Optic System), in operation since spring 2000, it is able to resolve details down to 0.2 arc seconds (150 km) on the Sun's surface.
- Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik (KIS)
- "Vacuum Tower Telescope". KIS website. Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Vacuum Tower Telescope (VTT)". IAC website. Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "KAOS- The Kiepenheuer-institute Adaptive Optic System". Archived from the original on June 10, 2007. Retrieved May 31, 2007.
- "Solar observations of highest resolution obtained with Adaptive Optics and Speckle-Interferometry at the VTT". Archived from the original on June 10, 2007. Retrieved May 31, 2007.
- Van Der Luehe, Oskar; Soltau, Dirk; Berkefeld, Thomas; Schelenz, Thomas (2003). "KAOS: Adaptive optics system for the Vacuum Tower Telescope at Teide Observatory". In Keil, Stephen L.; Avakyan, Sergey V. (eds.). Innovative Telescopes and Instrumentation for Solar Astrophysics. Innovative Telescopes and Instrumentation for Solar Astrophysics. 4853. p. 187. Bibcode:2003SPIE.4853..187V. doi:10.1117/12.498659.
- Berkefeld, Thomas; Dirk Schmidt (December 2012). "KAOS - a flexible control system for AO and MCAO" (PDF). Real Time Control for Adaptive Optics Workshop. 2. Garching: ESO. Retrieved 11 January 2014. Cite journal requires
- Rimmele, Thomas R.; Jose Marino (2011). "Solar Adaptive Optics". Living Reviews in Solar Physics. 8 (2). Bibcode:2011LRSP....8....2R. doi:10.12942/lrsp-2011-2. PMC 4841189. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- German Solar Telescopes
- Tenerife German Telescopes: Vacuum Tower Telescope
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: Orange Sun Oozing (22 May 2007)
- Telescope Information: Vacuum Tower Telescope
|This article about a specific observatory, telescope or astronomical instrument is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Sun is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|